Today we're busting into some of your questions that have been submitted that make our game creatives design games. If you have questions you'd like to be considered for us to answer, email them to [email protected]
This week we posed the crew the questions,
- If you could bring one game character to life who would it be, and what would your relationship be like?
- If you could make a game from any IP, what would it be and why?
- What would that game be about?
- Colonel Mustard. We'd be bros... that sometime commit attempted murder together in old mansions.
- Final Fantasy. Because I grew up playing video games and Final Fantasy 7 was my first realization that I love hobby board games... though I didn't know that there was such a thing as hobby board games at the time. It was just something about the turn based nature that flipped a switch in me that I didn't know was there. To be able to work in that IP would be something special for me. Plus, we'd make some mad Skrillaaaaah! (sp?)
- Trying to make it with Aries.
- Well, I would probably pick Lemunda the lovely, and if you know who that is without looking it up, you are part of dwindling group of grey haired gaming die-hards, and I salute you!
- I would love to make a cooperative game based on Pixar's Inside Out. I am truly fascinated by how the human psyche works.
- Players would cooperate to collectively manage their host's emotional reactions to a shared experience, while also representing their own specific importance to the overall emotional health of the host.
- I've always had an appreciation for the video game "Devil May Cry." So, probably an incarnation of Dante... though the legit Dante, with the red trenchcoat and silver hair. Not the most recent "emo Dante" of the latest reboot. Relationship wise... I'm not sure I'd want any sort of friendship with an individual who is half demon. I mean, he's cool and all, with the guns and the sword and the jumping and the combos and the flowing trenchcoat the super-humaness of it all ... but, you know... still half demon. So I'd probably just follow him on Twitter and other forms of social media.
- Keeping with the theme of the previous answer, I'd want to see a "Devil May Cry" game made. I dig the ridiculous style and dark themes of the character and the world in which he resides, and feel a really dynamic game could be made based on a dynamic video game IP such as this one. Albeit, the "DMC" IP was never necessarily as huge as Capcom may have hoped. But visually, when set up on the table and in a player's hand, the game could really shine if the core game mechanics were fun and interesting. You know, like how any other game shines when the core mechanics are fun and interesting.
- Good question. My first thought was to have this be a real time reactionary miniatures co-op game of sorts, but with cards integrated to piece together combos and receive power-ups and boosts based on the moves and attacks generated from the cards you lay down. Enemies would be automated NPC's. I'm not saying this idea is original or anything. I'm not a game designer. But I am saying a "Devil May Cry" table top game could be very cool!
- I would bring Abua Shi to life, then we could have a humorous Jungle 2 Jungle style adventure. Except he won't be my son. I will not take him cosmic bowling.
- It would be the Monkey Island IP. Of course now it's a Disney-owned property. :P
- I would recruit Ron Gilbert to make the true Monkey Island 3 the way he originally envisioned it.
- Mmm I would like scorpion from mortal kombat to be my personal guardian.
- The classic fairy tales like the ones from Grimm Brothers, Christian Andersen, etc. because I am obsessed and would loveee to mke a game based on them. They all have quite a dark, twisted air that I enjoy.
- I am not sure, but I would like it to be very eerie and haunting, with a beautiful design.
- Forest Plum. I would make him coffee occasionally. I'd tell him it's okay, that he isn't a failure, and there are bigger things to live for.
- The IT Crowd. It's the most hilarious show ever. The British version though, not that US crap.
- It would be a sort of mystery game, where you try and figure out how, and where a fire could start at a Seaparks.
- I will go with Genie from the Aladdin video game. Our relationship would be he grants me 3 wishes.
Zoolander because being really, really, ridiculously good looking is an important issue that doesn't get enough attention.
- Players would play as models who are working to gain popularity by mispronouncing words, drinking orange mocha frappuccinos, and creating signature looks for their many walk offs.
- Ukyo Tachibana from 90's Samurai Showdown arcade game. Not for any reason except its the only game I ever played one consistent character. He would teach me Japanese and the art of the Samurai.
- 36th Chamber of the Shaolin Temple.
- Gaining the most renown thereby proving your Kung Fu is the best Kung Fu in all of China.
- Prince Elien. Our relationship would be brief because I would push him down the stairs.
- Pac-Man. Because my idea is awesome.
Dexterity game! Pac and the ghosts are marbles in a maze with wooden walls. One player is Pac, and flicks him down corridors, racking up points. The other players are ghosts, and they try to flick their doods into Pac. The ghosts can work together, but Pac gets more flicks. There are long corridors for easy, big points-scoring flicks. Those long halls are easy to get trapped in though, so players will try to take the trickier, shorter, side passages. Of course there are power pellets too, to let Pac get X turns to "eat" ghosts. Roles rotate, with each player trying for the top score with Pac.Let's play this right now.
- All of the cats from Neko Atsume, my transformation into a crazy cat person would be complete.
- Book of the New Sun, when I first read that series the approach to world building completely blew me away and has stuck with me over the years. Given unlimited funds and time I would love to make a crpg or pen and paper rpg in that universe.
- Open world rpg-ing in the crazy surreal far future!
- Tifa Lockhart - she's just so..... good at fighting.
- Star Wars, because that's never been done before.
- Live role-playing game where players take on the roles of Jar-Jar, little Anakin and older Anakin and are judged by the other players on who's acting was the worst.
- Yoda. He would totally be my mentor.
- Lord of the Rings , because one of my favorite games uses the IP (Middle Earth: The Wizards) and It needs to come back!
It would be about Wizards trying to convince the council of free peoples to follow their plan for saving Middle Earth, or one of the Nazgul trying to curry favor with Sauron to become his chief lieutenant. Or Sauron himself trying to gain dominion over Middle Earth. Or the Balrog doing Balrog things. Pretty much any of the major influential and supernatural beings found in Middle Earth carrying out their plans... except Tom Bombadil, because, well, because no one should play a character that strong, no one else would even stand achance!