Thread: Trample timing question

Default Trample timing question

A question about trample came up in a game recently and the players disagreed in their interpretation of the ability.

Trample [Named Unit] may move through Common Units. Every Unit that [Named Unit] moves through receives 1 Wound Marker. [Named Unit] must end his move on an unoccupied space.

The question was whether the wound was applied when the trampling unit moves into the space with the common or out of the space, which affects whether the trampling unit could stop in the first space.

Imagine the following setup:
    M: Miti Mumway
    W: Warrior
    F: Fire Drake

MWF

Could Miti Mumway move onto the Warrior, inflict 1 wound from Trample, stop there and attack the Fire Drake? Or does Miti Mumway have to move off of the Warrior before the wound is placed?

There will be several units with Trample soon, so I think this is worth adding to the FAQ.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

You can't stop on the warrior, because the space is not unoccupied. I know I've seen this somewhere - maybe the book of Miti.

Also note that is says "moves through", not "moves onto".
    Last edited by killercactus; 05-14-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by r0gershrubber View Post
    A question about trample came up in a game recently and the players disagreed in their interpretation of the ability.

Trample [Named Unit] may move through Common Units. Every Unit that [Named Unit] moves through receives 1 Wound Marker. [Named Unit] must end his move on an unoccupied space.

The question was whether the wound was applied when the trampling unit moves into the space with the common or out of the space, which affects whether the trampling unit could stop in the first space.

Imagine the following setup:
    M: Miti Mumway
    W: Warrior
    F: Fire Drake

MWF

Could Miti Mumway move onto the Warrior, inflict 1 wound from Trample, stop there and attack the Fire Drake? Or does Miti Mumway have to move off of the Warrior before the wound is placed?

There will be several units with Trample soon, so I think this is worth adding to the FAQ.
    You would have to move off of the warrior, so that turn Mitit could not attack the Fire Drake.

Whenever you move with Trample, you remove enemies after the 2 move. So you can only wound one guy. And you cannot kill him until you are done moving.

Hopefully this is clear enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    You can't stop on the warrior, because the space is not unoccupied. I know I've seen this somewhere - maybe the book of Miti.

Also note that is says "moves through", not "moves onto".
    I thought that this was the intended ruling, but it was unclear whether the wound was dealt during or after the movement. If it was dealt during the movement, the space could become unoccupied.

I think it should go in the FAQ, particularly because misinterpreting the rule could be quite powerful.

Edit: Thanks Cactus and Rainor

Default trample question

if a card has trample can you move on to a card and then back to where you started? kinda like moving back and forth, but on a card?

Default ....

Yes, That is a legal play.
    "Your existence is revoked. Scatter as chaff in the Wind; in the north and endless ice. I'll be your chauffeur."

Quote Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
    You would have to move off of the warrior, so that turn Mitit could not attack the Fire Drake.

Whenever you move with Trample, you remove enemies after the 2 move. So you can only wound one guy. And you cannot kill him until you are done moving.
    Torodin's Charge ftw. I killed 2 guys off with it the other day.
    Then Superior Planning, and did it again later on, lol.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by yokumo View Post
    Torodin's Charge ftw. I killed 2 guys off with it the other day.
    Then Superior Planning, and did it again later on, lol.

Against me? xD
    "Your existence is revoked. Scatter as chaff in the Wind; in the north and endless ice. I'll be your chauffeur."