Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good game design

A lot of board games goal is just to get ¨VP¨ (victory points), its a so common mechanic in euro games that you can almost tell if a board game is an euro game or not, based the presence of VP or not.

If you never played an euro game, a VP, is something that you collect that does nothing, but be a VP, and generally the winner is declared by who has more VP at certain point or who reaches a certain VP limit first. A lot of times the VP can be collected similarly to how you collect other things in the game, other times VP are rewarded for doing certain actions.
    VP system is called at the system in which players are incentivized to get VP points to win. Generally they are popular in euro games because they are less direct than ¨win when you kill the opponent summoner¨ or ¨win when control 75% of the map¨

Waterd, I wouldn't say that VP is a good indicator of a Eurogame. VP is also a very common system in tactical wargames. And I don't mean games like SW with nothing but a grid. I'm talking about games with, at least a relatively large map (or no map at all, like Warhammer and WH40K), terrain, and a lot of freedom of movement and range (unlike SW, which limits almost all interactions orthogonally). It's usually based off of killing enemy units, like in Memoir '44, occupying terrain, like Battlelore, or both, which tends to be the case in much larger wargames like Warhammer, Warmachine, or 40K. In the wargame context, the VP system is usually a great instigator of aggression, because you can reward the player for aggressive play by making them get VP for occupying a space deep in enemy territory, or killing a large number of enemy troops.
    Last edited by Joseph; 05-25-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obglp35I1M8
    I couldn´t stop thinking about Summoner wars during this talk on game design.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12