Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Card Sleeves

Actually, you can do a modified rifle shuffle, depending on the brand of sleeve you use. While I've never tried this with Japanesse-sized cards, it does work with standard cards. If you shuffle so that the bottom corners of the cards overlap and then slide them together the rest of the way you can still get that satisfaction of a good shuffle.

For home play, I'm assuming that completely clear sleeves would work just fine (and may be preferable), correct? Also, am I correct in thinking that each starter set comes with 70 cards (35 per faction)?

Quote Originally Posted by Classicsmiley View Post
    For home play, I'm assuming that completely clear sleeves would work just fine (and may be preferable), correct? Also, am I correct in thinking that each starter set comes with 70 cards (35 per faction)?
    Yes, clear sleeves work fine for home play. Each starter set does come with 70 cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    You want the ones that are only clear on the front-side so that you have a different back than an opponent who may be playing the same faction. That way separating out your cards at the end of the game will be easier.

I'm going to allow hiding mercs in card sleeves. If I didn't, players would be forced to buy two different sleeve packs just to get a variant back, and that is no good. I'll have to remember to mention this in the first FAQ.
    I realize this decision is based on your trying to make this game as easily affordable as possible, but I don't really like this ruling. No offense, but I see the merc backing as a very useful facet of deck strategy. It's like in Heroscape saying that Raelin can boost frendlies and not just units in your own armies so people don't have to retool their armies for 2 on 2. It's nice, but it seems just to imbalance the game just a little.

Couldn't you put a sticker or something on the back of the sleeve, or write on it with a Sharpie since you probably won't use the sleeves for other games at the same time?

Quint...not sure what your objection is ....at his point in time we only have the one Merc so there is no surprise as to who it is. Once the other Mercs come out then you can mix and match them in your deck. They may not be of that faction but forthat battle they are part of that army so why would they not have the same card sleeve back as the rest of the cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Quintaton16 View Post
    I realize this decision is based on your trying to make this game as easily affordable as possible, but I don't really like this ruling. No offense, but I see the merc backing as a very useful facet of deck strategy. It's like in Heroscape saying that Raelin can boost frendlies and not just units in your own armies so people don't have to retool their armies for 2 on 2. It's nice, but it seems just to imbalance the game just a little.

Couldn't you put a sticker or something on the back of the sleeve, or write on it with a Sharpie since you probably won't use the sleeves for other games at the same time?

I guess the real question is when the game was designed was it intended that the mercs be known by the opponent or was it never really considered?! I'm sure you playtested at some point with all white backs in the early stages and when you had mercs there did you indicate which ones they were?! Are they designed/priced differently based on the fact that the opponent will know when you draw one?

Tim

The mercs did have different backs when playtesting, and the fact that your opponent would know that a card was a merc was known.
    "The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

It was tested that way, I knew it was going to be that way by necessity, but it isn't game breaking one way or the other. You can't use stickers or sharpie, as those marking will not be exact matches and so the player that made those marks could tell which mercs are which, gaining a possible advantage. But in my experience the differing card backs often have no effect on the game. I can't remember a single game where knowing effected my strategy. Thus I ruled to save money and trouble there is no need to come up with differing card backs for mercenaries.

Now if you were running an event and wanted to provide sleeves for players to put there mercs in because you wanted to run the event that way, that would be a great idea. I'm just not going to rule that it is needed.
    Last edited by Truth; 11-13-2009 at 08:46 PM.

I can vouch that knowing which cards are mercenaries is meaningless. It's tough to imagine now with only Khan Queso being out there, but Colby's brain has been in overdrive, and he has a lot of mercs in the works. Once he's released a few, knowing an opponent has a merc card in his hand will be as unhelpful as knowing he has a faction card in his hand.

EDIT: No, the rhyme was not on purpose.

Just another thought: Since the sleeves are opaque on one side, I could just play sleeveless until the cards show enough wear to reveal which card is which (to an experienced player of my deck), and then just sleeve 'em at that point, right?

I know, at that point I'd have sleeved cards that aren't in mint condition, and I'd look like an idiot for not having done it earlier, but I just think playing with unsleeved cards is way more fun...

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast