Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Card Sleeves

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using Card Sleeves

Using Card Sleeves on your Summoner Wars cards is a very good idea for a number of reasons:

- You push your cards around the play field throughout the game, causing potential wear on unprotected cards over extended play.

- Your opponent will handle some of your cards in a game of Summoner Wars. Though it is common politeness to clean your hands before playing a game that is going to have you handling other people's stuff, human skin produces oil naturally and a plastic protector keeps your cards from absorbing those oils.

- When 2 Players both want to play the same faction it is easier to separate out whose cards are whose at the end of the game when the decks are both sleeved with differing sleeves.

- When playing a 4 player game, if teammates are both playing the same faction, it is easier to keep track of whose cards are whose throughout the game.

The good news is that there are an abundance of card sleeves out there that are a perfect fit for Summoner Wars. The card sleeves you want to look for when shopping for Summoner Wars sleeves are Japanese-sized card sleeves, or more maybe more commonly known as card sleeves designed to fit YuGiOh cards.

If anyone knows of any good online sources for these sleeve sizes that offers good prices and service, please feel free to share. I found several places after a quick Google search, but haven't had any interaction with these places in order to recommend them. Your local game store might also be a good place to find these sleeves.

I've never used this retailer before, but they are well known and my brief research on card sleeves tells me that they have a good selection at good prices:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/Yu-Gi-Oh...4736p1n10.html
    Last edited by Truth; 11-03-2009 at 01:24 PM.

I've ordered Japanese sleeves from Troll & Toad before. They were reasonably priced, and they were delivered quickly.

The other benefit to using sleezes is that you can buy the ones that are only clear on the card front side, which will mask those pesky mercenaries from your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
    The other benefit to using sleezes is that you can buy the ones that are only clear on the card front side, which will mask those pesky mercenaries from your opponent.
    Actually, that's the question I had about sleeves. Is it "okay" to hide mercs or do they need a seperate sleeve color?

~Aldin, cheesily

You want the ones that are only clear on the front-side so that you have a different back than an opponent who may be playing the same faction. That way separating out your cards at the end of the game will be easier.

I'm going to allow hiding mercs in card sleeves. If I didn't, players would be forced to buy two different sleeve packs just to get a variant back, and that is no good. I'll have to remember to mention this in the first FAQ.

I just put sleeves on my cards. My FLGS had the Ultra Deck Pro Protector Sleeves as a buy 2 get 1 pack free, so I stocked up for a few dollars and now all my cards are protected.

Red for Elves, Blue for Orcs, Green for Goblins, and Black for Dwarves.

I put 2 extra sleeves of each color into the boxes, so that if any one wants to use the Mercenaries, they can slide the appropriate card sleeve onto the Merc Card.

Thanks for the heads up on which sleeves to pick up, truth.

FWIW, I have placed multiple orders for minis from Troll And Toad and have had great service every time.

So just in case anyone was hesitant to order from them...

I ordered from them and got my sleeves about two days later. If I ever need more I know where I'm going.

Default Ugh!

Man.

I followed the link that Colby gave to pick up some sleeves. Got some white ones and red ones. And some green ones locally. I put my Phoenix Elves in the red sleeves.

And I hated it.

Don't get me wrong. The sleeves work fine.

But it just feels so unnatural. I like to play cards. Dominion, M:TG, Pinochle, Poker, you name it. I riffle shuffle without looking at my hands. It's therapeutic. I don't even know what to do with sleeved cards. They feel like they're made out of warm ice. You pick them up, and they slide around. I never thought I'd miss the art on the Summoner Wars card backs, but I totally do now. These sleeves are coming off!

I think I'll only sleeve my cards for those odd occasions when I go to some tournament and I'm worried about facing the same faction or something.

Gross.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast