Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What other boardgames do you play?

Heroscape - Though not as much as I used to and for almost the past two years until recently I was heavy into designing/testing/playing the C3G Superhero Scape customs. We've got 150 or so comic customs designed and tested and high quality PDF cards for printing. I got burnt out of that due to many, many, many hours involved. Though my daughters still love it and we play once in a while as does my nephew and brother in-law.

I dig Summoner Wars (and will play some tonight with my 15 year-old nephew), but he's the only one that I play that with, at least until I get my 8 year-old twin daughters into it. I wish I could play more, but I'm sure I will in time.

I've been in a Strat-O-Matic Hockey league since '96. They make cards for each NHL player in the league and come out with new cards for the previous real season players/stats every summer. We play all 82 games of a season and then playoffs. Each game takes 45 min to 1 hour, so that eats up some of my gaming time.

I've gotten into Dominion over the past couple months and really like it a lot. I've got the first set and Prosperity, but haven't tried Prosperity yet. One of the things I like about it is that is easy enough for my daughters to play and my wife even tried it (major accomplishment as she's not really a gamer, though she loves hockey and football, so there's the trade-off ). My nephew also really likes it as well.

I just got Thunderstone Dragonspire to be my core set for now. I haven't tried it yet though and will likely play it with my nephew and eventually get my daughters into it. I know people compare it to Dominion either favorably or not, but I'm fine with that and the different theme and enough differences from my research that I think it will be a game I will enjoy.

I just got Lord of the Rings - The Card Game by Fantasy Flight Games. It's one of their Living Card Games they have out and my first one of those. The cool thing about this game is that you can play it solo against the game or co-op. There are 4 spheres (like factions) to choose from: Spirit, Lore, Tactics and Leadership. Each sphere came with 3 Heroes (Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, etc. ) some allies (Gandalf, Faramir, etc.) and some Event and Attachment cards. You have three scenarios in the Core Set and each has it's own set up for the enemy cards that have enemies to battle, locations to explore and treachery cards to mess you up. Each sphere plays differently and compliments the other when playing co-op. One is better at gaining resources, one is better at questing, one is better better at fighting and one is better at preservation (healing). I've played several solo games and tried the Leadership, Tactics and Spirit sphere so far and only beat the first scenario with my last game and that was about the 3rd try with the Spirit sphere. That was quite fun. In a way, it has some elements that are similar to Summoner Wars in that you need to gain resource tokens to pay for cards, kind of like magic is for SW. But you don't gain resources from destroying opponents or building magic, you gain some each round or from actions on cards and you have to decide when to put a card/s into play and when to save it. But other than that, it's different in having to get through locations by questing so you can get progress tokens on the quest card to advance to the next quest card. There are a lot of other different neat things about this game and I am really loving it and can't wait for the Adventure Packs to come out.

Default Here is a link to my collection on BGG

If your not on Board Game Geek its time to start
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/bmwrider

Here's my collection, IN PICTURES! *yay no reading for you*

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/airdroppers

Ascension is getting a lot of play right now.

Heroscape got shafted because of Summoner Wars, now SW is getting shafted due to Ascension. I just wish I had more time to play...

Nuthin' gets shafted forever though, we just go on spree's of different games. Deck building is hot right now, so Dominion is getting bought in the next few weeks.

EDIT: It doesn't show my collection in pictures, I lied. lol
    Last edited by airdroppers; 05-25-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    The Fallen Kingdom is Rising...

I still play Heroscape a ton, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Heroscape is by far still my favorite board game ever. I also recently picked up Wrath of Ashardalon, so that's been getting some play lately as well.

Quote Originally Posted by airdroppers View Post
    Here's my collection, IN PICTURES! *yay no reading for you*

EDIT: It doesn't show my collection in pictures, I lied. lol
    I assume you fiddled around with the Columns/Views stuff. When you do that, you have to click the "Permalink" button on the top right to send a link that lets others look at it the way you are seeing it.

Then you can get this link!

Quote Originally Posted by tatoolo View Post
    I assume you fiddled around with the Columns/Views stuff. When you do that, you have to click the "Permalink" button on the top right to send a link that lets others look at it the way you are seeing it.

Then you can get this link!
    Thanks a lot!

Ok, let's give this another go.

My Collection

**the link you had actually had my board games + games I have played, I filtered it out.

Lot of BGG users here. This is my collection.

I mostly play medium-heavy Euro games like Agricola, but I enjoy all games. Summoner Wars scratches the same itch for me that used to be fulfilled by Mage Knight and D&D Minis. I missed the Heroscape boat, and it's probably for the best because I probably would have spent a lot of money on it.

Some games I've been really into lately include:
    7 Wonders (30 minute civ-lite card drafting game that scales wonderfully to 7 players),
    Agricola (deep and highly replayable worker placement game, my only 10),
    Battlestar Galactica (thematic and cooperative, except that some players are actually cylons trying to sabotage the fleet),
    Mansions of Madness (Cthulhu mythos board game/RPG hybrid with great plot development and the players have to find and interpret clues to determine their win objective),
    The Resistance (ultimate party game, better than Bang!, mafia, etc., more approachable for non-gamers than Shadow Hunters, which is also good), and
    Through the Ages (still the best Civilization game).

Well, I'm not on BGG and certainly not nearly as into board games as any of you, but I still play some:

-Heroscape sees a lot of time, probably around tied with SW at about 8-10 hours a week maybe. We've gotten sick and tired of standard tourney type games, so a lot of scenario play. I've also got a few people trying to peer-pressure me into jumping on the C3G boat...

-Summoner Wars also gets a lot of play, obviously. It also is probably second to HS in non-playing time spent on it, I'm always fiddling with things like cork on plywood boards or stuff like that.

-Axis and Allies has made a bit of a recent resurgance, we just got Dday, so we played that a few times. Classic is still cool also.

-Classic games, Scrabble, Monopoly, Clue, Battleship and Chess see a few games now and then...

In addition to that, I'm considering a few things like Thunderstone, Battleship Galaxies and Dominion. That Quarriors thing looks cool also... however my group does have a few limits, they won't assemble/paint minis, and won't do RP... Well, at least I agree with the RP part.

Dominion is good. If you want something lighter than Dominion and Thunderstone with some luck, I would suggest Ascension.

Quote Originally Posted by airdroppers View Post
    Dominion is good. If you want something lighter than Dominion and Thunderstone with some luck, I would suggest Ascension.
    This is a pretty funny comment because Ascension was made by the same designer as Magic: the Gathering, and I don't think it was intended to be lighter or more luck-based than Dominion. I don't disagree, except that I would say that Thunderstone has about as much luck as Ascension.

I recommend Dominion if you want something that is more deeply strategic and Thunderstone if you want something with less so (and a dungeon delve theme).

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast