Thread: Deckbuilding Series: Vlox Edition

Default Deckbuilding Series: Vlox Edition

Deckbuilding Series: Vlox Edition

The Deckbuilding Series is a place to discuss deckbuilds in a central, summoner-specific location. Pre-existing deckbuilding threads, individual decks, and selected strategy threads are listed below.

All decks in this thread are for Vlox and his associated set of events: Assassinate x2, Cloak of Shadows x2, Magic Drain x2, Raid x2, Spy x1. In this formatting, the number of units represents the total number (not the draw pile), and asterisks represent units that belong to the starting setup.

If you have posted deckbuilds for Vlox elsewhere on this site and they are not already listed here, you are strongly encouraged to re-post them here and/or PM cmarie about including your decks.

Starting Setup: 2x Gunner, 2x Scrapper, 1x Thief

esper's Gen Con 2014 deck - "The majority of my analysis stems from experience with this deck, and with subbing Spider in for Kyra. In my opinion the common line up is the best available to Vlox, as is Violet. The other two champ slots leave a little to be desired. Here’s hoping for 3rd Summoners so Vlox can be perfected once and for all."

Duggle
    Kyra
    Violet

7x Renegade
    4x Thief*
    3x Bruiser
    2x Gunner**
    2x Scrapper**

excellent comprehensive thread by esper: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_for...ter-of-the-Art

BTBAM July 2014

Scam
    Violet
    and last slot may swing with Rygos/Grubs/Admiral/Kyra

5x Scrapper**
    4x Thief*
    4x Renegade
    3x Assassin
    2x Gunner**

Joseph (June 2014) "A deckbuild with lots of heavy hitters to help balance out, and maybe some Gunners and Snipers to deal it to the enemy summoner to keep him out of it. Maybe Admiral."

Doc
    Kyra
    Rygos

4x Gunner
    3x Sniper
    3x Renegade
    3x Crusher
    3x Scrapper
    2x Thief

"Just try to play up with Vlox, use MotA effectively, and make sure those champions are throwing dice. Alternatively, you could trade Rygos for the Admiral and grind it out with the 3 champs."

glenn3e’s Versatility deck (used on iOS, Aug 2013)

Admiral
    Scam
    Violet

6x Thief*
    4x Scrapper**
    4x Sniper
    2x Gunner**
    2x Slasher

thenightsshadow (May 2013)

Hawk
    Scam
    Violet

6x Scrapper**
    4x Slasher
    3x Sniper
    3x Thief*
    2x Gunner**

iOS:

Sin-Sin
    Violet
    The Admiral

6x Scrapper**
    5x Gunner**
    4x Sniper
    3x Thief*

"Typical toolbox deck with a slight twist: I don't usually aim to STEAL. Instead, I use Raid with Vlox to ensure I have the option to GREATER SNEAK without wasting two other Units' movement."

Vitae Special (also thenightsshadow)

Khexhu
    Malevolence
    The Admiral

10x Thief*
    4x Slasher
    2x Gunner**
    2x Scrapper**

sitnam90’s Combat Cloaks deck (Feb 2012)

Hawk
    Violet
    Hulgorad

7x Scrapper**
    5x Slasher
    5x Gunner**
    1x Thief*

"This is my current cloak deck. I switch between going offensive with Vlox and turtling with Vlox and Hawk. Hulgorad doesnt come out every game but his speed and strength come real useful in many match ups."

Jexik (the person, not the summoner) spring 2012 tournaments

The Admiral
    Violet
    Scam

7x Scrapper**
    6x Thief*
    2x Gunner**
    2x Slasher
    1x Sniper

OR same champs and

8x Scrapper**
    8x Thief*
    2x Gunner**

TheInnocent’s Cloak match (vs. BD, Jan 2013) <-- link to battle report & photos!

Friday Faction Highlight: The Cloaks Part 1 by David (Aug 2012)

Friday Faction Highlight: The Cloaks Part 2 by David [includes three decks] (Aug 2012)

Plaid Hat Decks: “Cover Fire” and “Hawk’s Strike” with strategy commentary

Cloaks Strategy Minute by Jexik

You are invited to share and discuss Vlox deckbuilds here!
    I <3 SERA

This is the deck that I'm currently using in the tourney against my friend (we are using all First Summoners, + all Reinforcements packs).

ALL-FOR-VLOX, VLOX-FOR-ALL !!!

Hawk
    Sin-Sin
    Violet

x5 Gunner **
    x5 Scrapper **
    x3 Slasher
    x2 Sniper
    x3 Thief *

There are low-Cost Champs with useful Abilities, and a mix of Commons that I can use for all the situations (I have so few Thieves because I try to maximize their use, that is, typically I destroy the starting one, and then, if possible, I summon 1 Thief at a time, during the game, in order to play Raid on it and then destroy it at the end of my turn).

I have other decks for Vlox (never tested, however, they are only on the paper); I share a few of them with you:

SMOKING GUNS

Rygos [MR]
    Scam
    Violet

x8 Gunner **
    x2 Scrapper **
    x5 Sniper
    x3 Thief *

Yes, I know it, it is more a "thematic" deck than a very useful deck (but I liked very much the idea).

MANTLED KILLERS

Dagger
    The Admiral
    Violet

x2 Gunner **
    x5 Rogue [MR]
    x2 Scrapper **
    x6 Sniper
    x3 Thief *

It should be a defensive deck, IMHO. And in this case there is also a theoretical strategy :
    1) attracting your opponent to your home, using Snipers that shoot from secure points while protected by The Admiral;
    2) if and when your opponent advances, backstabbing their Units with Rogues / Dagger (it is important having Walls near the mid-board, obviously).

Thanks Khayzhard! Very nice.

Another few I found in the Ultimate Tournament Results Thread:

Uncleeurope CL
    [Admiral, Sin-Sin, Violet, 10 Scrappers, 2 Slashers, 2 Gunners, 4 Thief]

Grisamentum CL
    [Sin-Sin, Hawk, Scam, 6x Scrapper, 5x Thief, 4x Gunner, 3x Sniper]

thenobleknave CL
    Sin-Sin
    Violet
    Admiral
    4x Thief
    4x Scrapper
    1x Gunner
    3x Sniper
    1x Slasher

BTBAM
    Sin-Sin
    Violet
    Scam

Slasher x2
    Scrapper x4
    Gunner x4
    Sniper x4
    Thief x4
    Last edited by cmarie; 09-24-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    I <3 SERA

Quote Originally Posted by cmarie View Post
    Grisamentum CL
    [Sin-Sin, Hawk, Scam, 6x Scrapper, 5x Thief, 4x Gunner, 3x Sniper]
    Tau, look! He's still relevant! I'll have to tell him.

I'll post my iOS deck when I can get on my phone again, I think it's pretty good.

Edit: Here's the deck:

Vlox
    Violet
    Hawk
    Dagger
    6x Scrappers
    3x Sniper
    3x Slasher
    2x Thief
    4x Gunner

Super Splash! I like it because it can be aggressive or defensive... or both. I like to hang behind walls with Vlox and Hawk until the enemy champ gets too close and then I drop Dagger.
    Last edited by Colgha; 09-24-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

@cmarie

you are welcome.

I'm always glad if I can be useful to the SW community.

I have never seen this deck, so I’m going to post it. Just a fun deck.

SUPER PLAGUE
    Admiral
    Fink
    Barston
    6x Renegade
    5x Vermin
    3x Thief

Really easy to get 2+ plague dice on a Unit. Jexik does this Plague deck even better, though. Jex could easily throw 3 plague from one unit in a turn.
    Last edited by commandercool; 09-02-2018 at 08:45 AM.

I swear by this build on the app:

Admiral
    Malevolence
    Mundol

Starting Setup

1 scrapper
    4 slashers
    4 AMs
    1 thief
    3 snipers

If I were to update this build to include all cards:

Admiral
    Malevolence
    Fink

Starting setup

4 Renegades
    4 snipers
    4 tinkerers
    1 thief

the renegades are vlox's best option. Put 1 on the board and they can block Vlox, step aside as he attacks twice at range, then step back in front of him. Tinkerers are a crucial and cost effective way to nullify some of the tougher champs in the game and put Vlox on an equal playing field. And snipers go well with Vlox and admiral, they are good for pinging walls from far away if your opponent wants to turtle.

As for the champs, the malevolence admiral combo is great. If you're keeping Vlox back he can suck some of those wounds and give malevolence extra life. fink's lower health is compensated for by his lower cost. When adding a 4AV ranged Vlox to the mix, they won't be found lacking for health or damage.

IMHO I think that this is Vlox's optimal or close to optimal build.
    Last edited by Rdebruys83; 09-04-2018 at 12:49 AM.

For decks outside of the app I think every deck should play with all 6 Renegates ... ALWAYS. They are just too good to not include them all. I would also always play with at least 3 thiefs in draw, as otherwise raid is too hard to use and even if you just use double raid on Vlox it is useful (with only 1-2 thiefs an early thief draw means you need to build late raids or have a serious deck clog potential).

So for me 5 starter + 6 Renegetes + 3 Thiefs are set, then you can pick 4 more commons to your liking (Thinkerer in certain MU, Sniper but also Bruiser work well)

I have seen the Admiral+Malvolence build on the app in action several time, wasn't terribly impressed, but I know some people like it and use it with success, same with Saella. However, in the current meta I think there are better options, the pure heavy champ style does not work so well vs. the newer decks. If one wants to play a purely defensive Vlox deck for sure Fink/Kyria/Mundol/Rygos + Admiral + Doc is an option but I personally still like the semi aggressive style that Vlox can play with the right setup

5 starter + 6 Renegetes (or 7-8 if you can) + 3-4 Thiefs + 3-4 Bruiser/Sniper/Thinkerer depending on MU
    Violett/Spider, Kyria/Fink and either Admiral/Duggle depending on MU. Works well, did also always deliver in our playtest games, as it is rather consistent (only 3 commons, reasonable amount).

Renegates really support the cheap ranged champs + stalking behind with Vlox to setup his 2x2AV ranged attacks. This does work best with Renegate cover but works ofc well with Admiral + Renegate to abuse the wound mechanic.