Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summoner Wars Free Build

Default Summoner Wars Free Build

Free Build Variant

In this Summoner Wars deck building variant all faction ties have been broken. Summoners can recruit Units from any faction.

No Faction Limitation
    When building a deck for a Free Build game of Summoner Wars you still start out by choosing a Summoner and adding the Starting Setup and Event cards for that Summoner to your deck. Then, as usual, add 2 Wall Cards to your deck. Finally, add enough Unit Cards to your deck so that you have a total of 18 Common Units and 3 Champion Units in your deck.

With the exception of the preset Starting Setup Units, the Units in your deck can belong to any faction. All Units that don't belong to the same faction as your Summoner are considered to be Mercenary Units. You can still never have more than 1 copy of a specific Champion Unit in your deck and you can never have more than 10 copies of a specific Common Unit in your deck.

No Mercenary Limitation
    In a normal game of Summoner Wars you can only have up to 6 Mercenaries in a deck. That limitation is not in effect in a Free Build game of Summoner Wars.

Free Build Tips

When you are making a Free Build deck, be careful to pay attention to any faction limitations that are built right into certain cards. For example, the Cave Goblin Summoner Sneeks has a lot of Event cards that only work with Cave Goblin Units, so if you want to make use of those Event cards you'll have to make sure you've got enough Cave Goblin Units in your deck to take advantage of them.
    Last edited by Truth; 11-02-2009 at 02:26 PM.

This sounds like a fun variant. I'm already thinking of my Grognack/Elf Warriors/Goblin Fighters army. I like Grognack for 4 attack and no faction limitations in powers, plus the extra walls make Blaze Step much better. I think the Goblin fighters are going to be almost a given in this variant since they give free attacks.

This variant gives lots of nice food for thought. For example, how would Thorkur do in a predominantly Goblin army, since low summoning costs hopefully mean lots of magic for sheilds? It's also fun to think of hilariously bad combos like Mook and Guardians. I can already see free build tourneys with Bad Army events.

I think every deck in this variant would have the goblin fighters. Their ability for the extra attacks is too good to pass up. I'd love a combo of Elven Champions, Goblin Fighters, and Elven Archers.

I think I'd like Grognack for this. He has the best base stats and his abilities aren't faction related. He has Reinforcements, so that means he should have some tough 2 costers around. PE Warrior synergy (blaze step) has potential too I think. [I think it was KCU master who said that first, but I'm not sure]. I'd try to squeeze in some ranged champions to fill in the gaps left by the rest of the force.

Grognack

Kaeseeall
    Thorkur
    Ragnor/Maelena?

Required: 2x Fighters, 1x Shaman, 1x Smasher

14 common slots left
    4x Smasher
    5x Berserker
    5x Warrior

I'm really not all that sold on Goblin Fighters unless you've got Sneeks around to help them rush into position. This whole thing is just theory though, as I have yet to try even messing with the base decks yet. I might also replace a Warrior and a Beserker with an Archer and a Slinger just to keep people guessing.
    Last edited by Jexik; 12-08-2009 at 03:38 PM.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I think Grognack or Oldin would be best for this right now. If you wanted to use somebody else, I could maybe see a range/mobility-based deck around Elien. Sneeks is just too faction-specific to do much else.

Elien's only faction-specific card is Spirit of the Phoenix Elves, which I usually find myself using on Champions anyway. Here's an idea for Elien:

What About Side-by-Side with a Friend?

Elien

Kaeseeall

Thorkur
    Maelena (I thought about Fire Drake too for more range / Spirit, but Maelena is just too solid)

Required Commons - Archer x2, Warrior, Guardian

Commons (14 left)

Warrior x4
    Spearman x6
    Archer x4

It's really just switching out some Elven commons for Dwarven Spearmen, and the Drake for Thorkur. I left the Warriors in for their awesome mobility and another use for Spirit. I originally had 3x Goblin Fighters too, but don't think they are worth it to get 2 more attacks. The Spearmen are just awesome for range and power. I like that this deck only needs 1 to summon any common, but most of them can hit with 2 dice in melee, and every unit in the deck (except Maelena and the required Guardian) can either attack from range, or attack from melee and then leave. No multi-life commons, but it just has a ton of firepower and is probably doing big damage before your opponent's units make it to you.

EDIT: I'd forgotten Oldin was also ranged - he'd probably work here too, though I'd want to work in some 2-cost Commons for Reinforcements, and I'd be too close to Jexik's deck in the other thread.
    Last edited by killercactus; 01-26-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: was using 18 extra commons - oops
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

wow love the idea
    ill have to make my own design.
    "Ash nasg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Have a Look at My Custom Summoner Wars Creations...

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/album.php?u=204

If you have a Custom Faction try getting into card form and really achieve the "WOW" Factor, feel free to use my templates.

Iv started a new thread under Customs for Custom Variants for anyone who is interested.
    "Ash nasg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Have a Look at My Custom Summoner Wars Creations...

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/album.php?u=204

If you have a Custom Faction try getting into card form and really achieve the "WOW" Factor, feel free to use my templates.

Default GenCon Freebuild tourney

So I'm planning to play in the gencon freebuild tourney... but I've never played this format before.

Who do you guys think is the best summoner for this format? Any cool deck ideas? help!?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by paradox22 View Post
    So I'm planning to play in the gencon freebuild tourney... but I've never played this format before.

Who do you guys think is the best summoner for this format? Any cool deck ideas? help!?

thanks!
    i think Oldin or Grognack. their event cards can be used in any free build deck, unlike Sneeks or the prince.

i also suggest using Goblin Fighters for the extra attacks and 0 cost.

It should be noted that Sera--if you run a couple Priest (and hey, why not?)--can make some fun Free Build decks. Defenders, Berserkers, and Smashers jump to mind as some great cards to throw into this deck for a bit of variety and a bit of fun synergy with the controlling nature of it and the healing powers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast