Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Summoner? (Barring Big 4)

One year update (again, excluding Oldin, Grognack, Elien, and Tacullu, none of whom are in my Alliance box)...

Selundar has grown on me, as I really appreciate the aggressive options, so he's no longer my least favorite.

Sam now tops my list. The guy is dull as dirt. (And contrary to what some say, I really don't think he's that good.)
    Second is Torgan. I keep wanting to like this guy, but he simply doesn't gel, making him feel inelegant.
    Third is Endrich. With his Sorgwen ability, Owl, and old BD units, he's lame. (Especially after I once killed a full-life Melundak from 5 spaces away with a mere Geopath... not fun.)
    Fourth is Hogar. I like the idea, but with Runes being recycled abilities, he has a "been there, done that" feel. (Though I do like Ice Golems and the Avalanche event.)

Anyone want to update their list, or chime in for the first time?

Oldin, Elien and Grognack are decks that autoplay themselves and are therefore dull - however, they are useful for teaching noobs the basics - which is what they are relegated to in my box. (Unless I'm forced to play them by dice roll - in which case I experiment with fun deckbuilds.)
    Tacullu has a great deck - much more thinking and tactics are required than any of the big 3 - and with alliances his aggressive options got even better. The mind games and tactical tricks you can play with his deck are the reason he is one of my favourite summoners.
    I love all the Alliance factions a great deal - even maligned Hogar and Endrich.
    My real loathing is reserved (and even then it's not absolute) for Mugglug. He is as auto-play as the big three and frankly boring to play against (oh, you just summon-killed all your units.....again? What a deep tactic Mr Elien clone!) not to mention frustrating. If only his ability had some risk/challenge/cost like the superbly designed Glurblub (oh, how I love that Summoner! )
    To be honest, my distaste for Mugglug has probably been unfairly biased by the stupid App Mage/Rune Mage/Etch garbage that proliferated not that long ago. Without that Mugglugg's deck has suitable economic problems that actually give him some decisions to make......I still don't like him though.
    "Shadow hide thee thief"

Prelate was Retch the Grotesque Mutant in "The Dance of Devils"
    Prelate was Archangel the Furious in "Light's Corruption"

These are the Vassal dice.
    They haunt your footsteps in the Vassal forums.
    They lurk in the shadows of every Vassal board.
    They hang like the sword of Damocles over the construction of every Vassal deck.
    They wait.
    They watch.
    They win.

I like Mugglug and I don't run any mercs with him. He's not my favorite but I enjoy when he's in a match because the vine walls make positioning very interesting. He's less auto play without mercs, forcing you to use your events wisely or lose the economy war. I agree though Glurblub is much more fun to play.

Barring Big Four makes it difficult for me. I'd say I'm not a big fan of Tundle. I actually like his deck sans Lun and Kynder, but those two just feel a tad too strong to me

I don't know what you mean by "Big 4," as I'm relatively new to the community (I started playing during the preorder event for Alliances) so here are my least favorites.

1.) Melundak. Ironically, Nikuya-Na and Selundar are some of my favorites, but I can't seem to get Melundak to work. It's just ALL speed, with some meh units and without any of the fun trickery of the Jungle or Shadow elves. Just kind of boring, really.

2.) Krusk. I don't get what their overall strategy is supposed to be. They seem to have little to no synergy, and because of that I can't build an effective deck for them. Maybe when Scraven comes out, I'll have some good units to use.

3.) Muglugg. I REALLY REALLY love Glurblub, but Muglugg is just too slow to build for my liking. Glurblub accelerates really quickly, giving him lots of mobility for both offense and defense, but in order to succeed with Muglugg, I feel like you have to play the long game, killing things in the right spots and slowly building your territory up.

Once you play a good Krusk player a couple times you'll see how things click. The biggest advantage with them is there flexibility and options. You can assistnate, play a tit for tat eecking out a magic advantage over time, or defensive and do any of these well. Once you have silts mirage and a couple extra magic for sandstorm the tricks you can pull off are awesome. At the moment the somewhat defacto strong deck is silts, biter, sandwyrm, 10 shawman then sprinkled with javs and slayers.
    App username: Let's play a game!

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I think Melundak is even more shenanigansy than the old JE and SE decks. His ability is very strong, and his champs are all very good as well. The commons are more on the tricksy side though.

Krusk's theme is messing up your opponent's plan and attacking without retaliation. Use Taunt to muck up whatever they try to do as best you can and movement traps with Sandstorm, Escape and Silts to make big plays.

Mugglug is one of the most effective pushers in Summoner Wars. The trick to playing him isn't killing your opponent's units by your walls - it's positioning your units so that if they die, they make a wall.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

And that's another thing, I don't have 10 of everything. I don't have the money to buy 2 copies of everything the game has to offer, just so I can make a deck of all one unit.

Quote Originally Posted by McBehrer View Post
    And that's another thing, I don't have 10 of everything. I don't have the money to buy 2 copies of everything the game has to offer, just so I can make a deck of all one unit.
    Fair. I'm in the same boat, but use high units counts on the app.

I find in most cases that not having 10 of the best common in a deck isn't a big disadvantage so long as there is other good options (krusk can deal with a few extra slayers and a splash of some tinkers is a good call). I am prety excited to see what the SG second summoner brings though
    App username: Let's play a game!

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Krusk base deck even is perfectly fine - you just have to build all the Scavengers.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast