Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Summoner? (Barring Big 4)

Question Least Favorite Summoner? (Barring Big 4)

I assume many will say Elien, Grognack, Oldin, or Tacullu. (Mine are Elien and Tacullu, so much so, I've a hard time giving attention to their counterparts, Maldaria and now Endrich, which is unfair.) While you can quickly mention any of them, what's your least favorite summoner beyond them? For me, it's gotta be...

Selundar.

The thing is, I'm not sure why. I know "Into Darkness" is one of my least favorite events -- again, not sure why, but I hate it. I like the idea of their mobility and artwork, but when I play them, I catch myself yawning. Or if someone plays them against me, all I can think is, "When will this end?" They just don't sit well with me, as they somehow feel inelegant, but that's not really true or fair. Not sure what my issue is with them, but I really hope the 2nd SE Summoner works for me.

After Selundar, it's probably Sam. Then maybe the Demagogue due to his theme. But still, I'd gladly play as (or against) either of them over Selundar.

That's my confession. What's yours?
    Only send a friendly invite (JYoder77) if you don't play PE, TO, GD, BD, no Rallul units outside of Rallul, and no Etch or Rune Mages (even in Rallul).
    My Custom Faction Creator tool. Contains demo images to show what you can create.
    Why Sunderved cries himself to sleep at night.

For me it's Sera. But only slightly, I don't hate playing against her (especially if she's played by Colgha) but sometimes she just grinds things to a halt. I've won games against her that have felt worse than losing, because even though I was winning and was going to win it took so long to get there as she heals things.

But I see why some would enjoy her, and she's really not that bad, I don't have a reaction to any of the summoners the way you seem to with Selundar.

Tundle is pretty boring to me, but it is probably because I don't have that much experience with him. I don't keep track of things with exactness, so I don't have a good handle on how to manage the Magic economy. I will say that Sprog is one of the most fun champions I have played with, so at least he has that going for him. But now my mind is trying to figure out a good Endrich/Sprog build....hmmmm....

Samuel Farthen. But I feel like that is pretty obvious. In fact I am debating the idea that this thread was created just so I could post this here. But that would be a bit selfish.
    Uncleeurope was Hulgorad the Sad in RALLUL'S BANQUET
    Uncleeurope was The Seer who Drank too Much Beer in The Great Marsh
    Uncleeurope was Prince Elien the Felon in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    Uncleeurope was Matt E. the Fatty in The Dance of Devils

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU!
    As for what I hate most: ... Uncleeurope.
    Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sam Farthen is OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    He just rams in, his games last 5 turns...tops

Rallul.

You know those units that every single other deck in the game can use, and that are usually slightly worse than average cards? Well he gets to use 21 of them instead of 6! Whoa!

He may not have quality, but he sure does have quantity. He has more units to choose from than any other faction! Hm... Wait, scratch that. He has less. Every other faction can use his cards, in addition to their own.

Aside from that his events are all pretty bland and leave me saying, "...And?" I'm just not into cards that are good from a synergistic standpoint but aren't good on their own.

But hey, at least I can just stash him at the bottom of the box and forget about him. Not as if him existing is going to break the rest of the game in any way. How could any deck possibly ruin the elegance of the rest of the game? At least he's a 0 and not a negative.
    Last edited by esper88; 09-08-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Yes. Rune Mages and Etch.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Ret-Talus has the worst base deck (crappy commons, mediocre champs, and difficult-to-use events). I would agree that Rallul is disappointing -- why make a Mercenary summoner instead of a 16th real faction when his stuff already has great theme and synergy? But by far my most hated deck is the Filth.

Oh, where to begin? Let's start with the Demagogue. His special ability is like Meditate and A Hero is Born combined, but easily better than either. His starting setup is the only one in SW that grants a wall in the 2nd rank, making it stupidly difficult for aggressive factions to rush and wall crowd him. Try to push anyway and he will freeze your walls and/or mind control your commons for free (even when they're on your side of the board). Attack him with champs? Say hello to Claw Mutant (it has a higher attack than anything you can summon), Horror Mutant (why the crap does Uberfear work on Champions and Summoners?), Tentacle Mutant (basically a heroic feat that you can use every turn), Winged Mutant (Archie and Rahlee are crying at how useless they are in comparison), Corpulent Mutant (this guy pretty much never dies) and a host of other monstrosities, all delightfully illustrated as terrifyingly disgusting nightmare fuel. And each of this colorful cast of loathsome monsters is Sneeks and Sairook combined -- if you don't finish them off completely, you get ZERO magic for your trouble and they'll soon reemerge with full health. Think you can try to sit back and play a turtle game? Nice try, but Demagogue will just ping you with Her while cycling through his magic like Tundle.

And that's just the basic tactics. Killercactus has pulled off some pretty impressive shenanigans with Stoneflesh Mutant chain summoning himself deep into enemy territory or abusing mutagist to summon 3 beefy merc champs with plenty of magic to spare. Trying to calculate how to keep my summoner safe from all the possible combos is nerve-wracking.

At least Abomination and Vomitus are laughably bad.
    Last edited by Clarissimus; 09-08-2014 at 09:00 PM.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Queen Maldaria. She feels to me like I can't find a solid build that isn't suboptimal
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I was sure you would pick Torgan.
    Uncleeurope was Hulgorad the Sad in RALLUL'S BANQUET
    Uncleeurope was The Seer who Drank too Much Beer in The Great Marsh
    Uncleeurope was Prince Elien the Felon in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    Uncleeurope was Matt E. the Fatty in The Dance of Devils

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU!
    As for what I hate most: ... Uncleeurope.
    Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sam Farthen is OP
    He just rams in, his games last 5 turns...tops

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
    At least Abomination and Vomitus are laughably bad.
    I resent that. I won most tournament games in the ISL that just ended using Vomitus. And abomination is on par with Hulg/Rygos/Urick for powerful in the boring champ lineup. I've taken down Krung, Rukar, and Grognack with just claw (summoned twice) and Abom. Abom did at least half the work there.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Bálđur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Im with I like tau on this one!

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I was sure you would pick Torgan.
    Nah, Torgan is fun. I'm just bad at him, though I'm coming around.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast