Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto-linking Card Names from Forum

Question Auto-linking Card Names from Forum

After asking Joe if he'd be OK with it, he gave me the ability to manage auto-linking keywords. Meaning, for some events and units, when anyone types a name in the forum (such as Shikwa) a link is created to go right to her card.

Unless you use Firefox, it doesn't work if cards have spaces, but only takes you to the faction. Joe believes he can fix that. Assuming he can, I'll fix old links and creating links for new cards.

I can add one alternate keyword for each entry. For instance, I could add Sundy to the Sunderved entry. I'm thinking of also linking common abbreviations, such as SotP, CoD, etc, so if people aren't sure of the reference, there will now be a link. I'm thinking I'll do the same with faction abbreviations, unless it's a real word -- so PE can work, but TO doesn't make sense. (Also, the "pe" in "hope" would not link since it's part of a word.)

There are also units with the same name. Right now, those are set apart with a faction prefix, such as TO Fighter or CG Fighter. Unfortunate, but not sure what else can be done.

However, this will be time-consuming, so I'm curious if others find the feature useful and/or if there are other suggestions, since I don't want to fix everything more than once.

If you don't want to fix it all, I will! Even if people don't see the need for it. I like having all the units and events linkable.
    2012: ORIGINAL 2013: SUMMER FALL
    2014: WINTER SPRING SUMMER FALL
    2015: WINTER SPRING SUMMER

Official Dallas Time (ODT): The newer new time standard of Summoner Wars... aka Central

Quote Originally Posted by tortugatron View Post
    If you don't want to fix it all, I will! Even if people don't see the need for it. I like having all the units and events linkable.
    Thanks, but I really don't mind. I look forward to updating it and having cards with spaces work. Glad I'm not the only one who likes the option, which I hope is especially helpful to newbies.

BTW, Tort, where DO you find the time to run big tournies and volunteer to do more!? Impressive!

This is so helpful Jyoder, thank you! And thank you Joe for allowing it!

Even though I know what all the cards do, it isn't THAT uncommon to want to check specifically how something is worded, and this makes that much easier. Or sometimes late at night when one's brain is dead and you wonder what "SotP" means because you never play Elien and no one gives it much context. That's happened once or twice too.

And I know when I first came on these forums looking for some rules thing, all the jargon was absolutely impenetrable. This will go a long way to helping that. Heck, the first ones already did.

Quote Originally Posted by umbrageofsnow View Post
    Or sometimes late at night when one's brain is dead and you wonder what "SotP" means because you never play Elien and no one gives it much context.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one! "Now what does LotD stand for again? I know that I know this..."

At last one event shorthand is duplicated: CoS, which can be Cloak of Shadows or Chant of Salvation. I could distinguish with "CL CoS" and "JE CoS", but I can't see anyone typing those. Or just have CoS always go to Cloak of Shadows, as I assume it's the most common, but it'd be confusing in a few instances. Or maybe just ignore that one completely. *shrug*

I would go for Cloak of Shadows with it, and just ask people to clarify if that doesn't make sense with the situation. I almost never talk about CoS in a similar context to Salvation for it to cause confusion.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

Yeah, I agree that Cloak of Shadows is much more common. I don't know when you would ever talk about Chant of Salvation besides like an Abua strategy guide, and in that case, just type out Chant of Salvation. It's rare enough I think that's the right choice too.

LotD is for Lord of the Dance, right????

Quote Originally Posted by umbrageofsnow View Post
    LotD is for Lord of the Dance, right????
    Nailed it!

I just want to say that I would really appreciate more linked names and abbreviations! I'm sure many others will, too.

I find that when I want to learn how to use a summoner I don't know well, I consult posts here by people really familiar with the decks -- which means I then have to sift through a lot of abbreviations and unexplained references to cards I don't know. Even when I know what the name of the card is, often I find I need to re-read it to understand what they're saying. Adding to this feature would help cut down on that extra work, encouraging people to branch out and try new summoners!

You should autolink Dok.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast