Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goblins and Dwarvses and Orcs, oh MY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jivatma View Post
    Check out the Thorkur topic in Strategies if you wanna continue... :P
    Will do, sorry for the OT. Great Thread BTW!

Cave Goblins (me) vs Tundra Orcs

I was really excited about this game. I don't know why. I was just happy to play these two factions and I just really like CG playstyle in general. Even with my mirth abounding unlimited, This game was a very slow-paced games. Walls were everywhere. It was hard to surround things. I felt low on units all the time. And to top it off. I seemed to draw all my champions early, and all my event cards late. The cards just did not come out in my favor, and despite all that It all came down to a 20% dice roll.

I opted to go first to Avoid thee 1st turn Shaman > Berserker Kill and moved forward tentatively to kill his fighter and to Sneek Forward. He doesn't do much to retaliate as i plink away at his Smasher with my reckless slinger. Reckless Slingers vs. Smashers were so in my favor this game. First turn draw is Mook, Eater, Wall, Fighter, Berserker. Rather then summoning the Fighter, I slow-played it, plinking off the smasher and killing off his other fighter. Wary of Freezes by this point I dump my fighter for extra magic and a Berserker next turn to finish off his Smasher. On the opponent's side of the board is a scary prospect already. 3 Walls are up (1 ice wall and 2 regular), and he has 9 cards in magic on the 2nd turn. I know he's got Krung due to his heavy magic building, but rather then summon, he reinforces in another shammy and smasher. He really likes his fighters and they do pay off, easily killing off my 1-life units. At one point he really did surprise me by summoing Blagog over Krung, but Blagog was no real threat as he wastes those huge reckless rolls on my fighters. Despite his summonig, he is really going easy on the common units and so I eventually drop Eater for Mook. And rather then play agressively into those hard-to-surround walls, I kind of box myself in and play defensively with a central Mook beefing my units up. Blagog goes down in a heep, and out comes Krung on the other side of the board to start "surrounding" me. My opponent is playing very carefully as him (nor I) have seen any CG event cards yet. One of my turns go rather sourly as I have very little to kill and I fall behind in the magic and a fresh freeze comes out to stop my Sneeks. Worst yet Ragnor comes out to introduce himself. Thankfully though I knew I was leaving sneeks vulnerable and decided Invincibility would be good to play now, despite not having any huge threats in the near vicinity. Sadly the entire thing kind of falls off into a stalemate as his roll fails any hits, and furthermore, my frozen sneeks can't retaliate with Mook's Taskmaster. A gambling choice on my part to not unfreeze/sly away at the end of my turn yields 3 wound markers from Ragnor before I can kill him off in the next turn. By this point my opponent is practically out of deck and is slowly rounding our tremendous number of walls. all but 1 TO wall came out and the board was effectively double-walled in all but 1 spot which ws occupied by Krung + Grognack. At this point I have meager, yet very deadly defenses surround Sneeks and Mook and by now an empty Blarf. I know my opponent's goal/objective as I can se it plainly, so i just help the bait along, setting my units up for an easy counter-attack as by now I'm holding one of my horde-attacks in my hand. Happy to oblige and plugging up my walls the entire way, Krung walks into my Trap. Horde Attack + Mook gives Sneeks and Stuffed Blarf 9 dice on Krung. Sadly, 1 roll a 1 and only manage 8 wounds. Now this is the real deal breaker. With Sneeks down to only 4 life remaining, and Blarf in dangerous peril to getting double-teamed by Krung+Grognack. Also to note is Grognack is within 2 spaces of Sneeks. Stay or Sly. Stay or Sly. Sly away and lose a "wasted" Blarf, or chance it. Stay or sly.... It literally takes me 5 minutes to make my mind up as i look at almost every possibility. I ultimately decide to stay and chance it, because I know my opponent well enough to know that he'll move in for the 4 dice, rather then chance the 3rd and lose his champion. I also know if i move away, a Wild swing and a Grognack will easily kill Blarf. Lo and Behold, odds are against me, and 4 out of 4 dice land on Sneeks (a 19.7% chance btw), and I lose. Had I not lost, I had an easy Horde-Attack + Mook for 9 taskmaster dice on Grognack.

In hindsight, I probably should have Slyed away and sacrificed Blarf. I could have still pulled out ahead of him by killing off his Krung with my last fighter and then surrounded Grognakc with Sneeks, Mook and my last Berserker. All in all I felt jipped, both because of the slow-paced goblin game I played, and the loss on 20% chance =(
    "To obtain, something of equal value must be lost"

well, if blarf was on 4 magic it depended in how many cards he had in hand. If he had at least 2, it could mean 2 smashers, if he had none, i would had probably sacrificed the sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by PePe QuiCoSE View Post
    well, if blarf was on 4 magic it depended in how many cards he had in hand. If he had at least 2, it could mean 2 smashers, if he had none, i would had probably sacrificed the sucker.
    his hand was empty. my hand had my last horde-attack and 1 fighter. I really kind of wanted to bait him in so i could horde attack Grognac. 7 hits on 9 taskmaster dice was quite likely in my head. Even though I think the math turns out to be like 28% if i'm doing it right. In either case i played a bit greedy and lost for it. I shouldn't have left Blarg so Vulnerable, and I should have started retreating till i could get 3 attacks on a unit I wanted, rather then 2.

Vanguards (me) vs Cave Goblins

The game started out rather well I thought. I opted for first turn to spread out a little bit. As expected an early Sly put Sneeks in my face, and I promptly bit in back with 2/2 dice on Sera. Amazingly enough my Guardian Knights had the perfect steady Income to where I could -always- have one catty-corner to Sera, preventing any direct attack on Sera for a vast majority of the game. or the first - mid game I was rolling like a beast, and killing units left and right for a steady magic income. My opponent dumps an entire hand one turn only to summon Blarf and The Eater rather early. All my walls com down, giving me a very nice fortress to hide behind and with my units positioned rather well, The eater is effectively removed from the game, or he has to cannibalize his own units. Sadly, my first mistake came in when I summoned Archangel and attacked Sneeks Behind. Between AA and Sera, I landed another 3 hits putting Sneeks to 5 wound markers, effectively putting him out of the immediate front lines. My mistake was not watching his summoning pile as Fighter, Slinger, Mook, Berserker all come out in a turn with Goblin Horde Attack to easily finish off AA. My draw pile must have really been upset with me at my careless mistake as my bad luck really starts to flow now. priest after priest comes up with their accompanying Holy Judgement. I want to hold onto them but i can't build the magic now that my income has stopped. With 3 champions on the field at this point, my opponent has burned through most of their commons and their deck and my magic has seriously slowed. Archers come out behind my walls which later I learn is bad. With Eater and Mook in my face, my units sadly, yet eventually fade. My deck continues to hate me, as I finally draw my next champion - Rachel. *groans* I don't have magic for her, my last summoning surge is nowhere in sight. My opponent has 4 cards left in his hand and no deck. AND to top it all off, there are only 2 unts with 1 life on the field that would hurt my opponent -_-. out she goes. In a hard choice, i dump all but a guardian knight rather then summon or a turn, easily turning over 2 walls to my opponent. My next hand is FINALLY the hand I want with Kalon and Summoning surge, and 1 of each common. Out comes Kalon, and mistake #2. I hadn't noticed my wall was at 6 life. With mook, Blarf and Eater still so clear I should have known my wall would have died sooner or later and wouldn't you know it, it did. So now I have 2 dead cards in my hand, and a steady income again as Kalon lays total waste to Blarf and a common. With Sera backing him up, hiding like a frightened child behind his claymore. Eater finally alls to a 4/4 dice roll (the 2nd by Kalon) and this game is FINALLY starting to shape up, and become very close. My opponent has 2 cards in hand. I have 2 cards in Hand. He's pinned me in a corner with Mook, a very ranged fighter, and Sneeks. Sly puts his 1 and only Slinger within attack range on his turn. Sera has 1 life left and is most likely going to get rolled on. With the unit placement, My biggest threat is the Slinger and Mook. Sera has 5 wounds on her, and Kalon has 6. Mook will get to swing on Sera i I don't block him with Kalon (or kill him). Killing him gives the Slinger a chance to attack Sera. I'm not worried about the fighter attacking Kalon at all. because if it is, he has to roll 2 hits. I could move in a way that kills the fighter (with Kalon) and protects Sera from the Slinger. But I have to roll 2/2 hits on Mook with Sera. Alternatively I could run from Mook (and let him have the 2 dice on Kalon), and for my attack, I kill his 2 common units. Ultimately I decided this course, because it was a 44% chance he would kill Kalon - those odds are in my favor, right? Sadly, It didn't matter. The fighter dies, but Sera misses both dice on the Slinger. My opponent plays Goblin Rage and moves Slinger and Mook together to give the slinger Taskmaster, which ultimately spells my doom.

After learnign of the 2x Goblin Rages in my opponent's hand, I'm glad I chose to focus on the commons. I'm more upset that my dice decided to crap on me on the last roll. Ultimately however if it got down to summoner vs summoner, he was favored to win, since I needed 2/2 dice to hit, and he only needed 1/3. The only factor that was an issue was my range vs his melee.

In hindsight, I fed the eater way too much. even if i stopped him from attacking, I should have starved him, or focused on him more heavily. It was really funny to put him next to The Eater and catty-corner to a wall. The Eater could not attack for fear of killing his 1 and only food for the turn, so I think it paid off in some ways Also, I should have waited on Mook and focused on him. Mook is so pivotal for CG, and I'm sad that I didn't try to kill him. As I've seen with all other VG games, I left my Archangel far too exposed and watched my heart droop as he got wiped out in a single turn.

On a side note, I'm getting better with Vanguards, but also my gaming group is moving on to other games. So i'm playing less and less. 2 out of the 5 friends have this notion that dice just hate them and as such, they dislike playing a game that luck-based chance can RNG screw them over - and when they do play it, they complain about it a lot. 1 of the 5 just doesn't play it anymore, and I don't know why. He's also the one that owns all the board games we play. So its really confusing. I think he's focusing more on school work.

wow! ...ah thats a lot of text.
    nice going very detailed battle report.

PS
    could you consider breaking up the content so silly eyes like mine dont lose track of were they are reading.
    "Ash nasg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Have a Look at My Custom Summoner Wars Creations...

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/album.php?u=204

If you have a Custom Faction try getting into card form and really achieve the "WOW" Factor, feel free to use my templates.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123