Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German Translations

Default German Translations

Hey guys!

I stumbled over this forum when reading the BGG-forums very recently. The community in here is so very nice and helpful, I instantly became even more a fan of Summoner Wars and Plaid Hat Games!
    I have read quite a few posts in here now, and it's always very interesting. However, i more and more discovered, that my german version of the game has many mistakes in the card texts. I got the GD vs CG and PE vs TO Starters, both printed 2011 I think. I know that i could just buy the english versions, and i will probably buy my Master Set in english, but there are many people out there who want to play this game in german language, and I think they have the right to play the game as intented, not some version crippled by bad translations.

Now my questions:

1. Is there some post dealing with this, or a german FAQ?
    2. Who is responsible for translations?
    3. Does Colby know of this, can he do sth about this?
    4. What can I do?
    5. Are there people in here interested in a thread dealing with translation issues?

Thanks in advance,

munky

Default Mistakes in translation

Quote Originally Posted by munky View Post
    Hey guys!

I stumbled over this forum when reading the BGG-forums very recently. The community in here is so very nice and helpful, I instantly became even more a fan of Summoner Wars and Plaid Hat Games!
    I have read quite a few posts in here now, and it's always very interesting. However, i more and more discovered, that my german version of the game has many mistakes in the card texts. I got the GD vs CG and PE vs TO Starters, both printed 2011 I think. I know that i could just buy the english versions, and i will probably buy my Master Set in english, but there are many people out there who want to play this game in german language, and I think they have the right to play the game as intented, not some version crippled by bad translations.

Now my questions:

1. Is there some post dealing with this, or a german FAQ?
    2. Who is responsible for translations?
    3. Does Colby know of this, can he do sth about this?
    4. What can I do?
    5. Are there people in here interested in a thread dealing with translation issues?

Thanks in advance,

munky
    Yes, I think the cards should be corrected.
    I know German, can you post the mistakes in the card texts here and we can look them together. I only have English version of the game...

-JanE

AFAIK are
    - PE Archer
    - PE Prince Elien
    - CG this card that grants gang up
    - GD Spearman
    translated wrongly.
    On the backside of the german rulebook it says Patric Götz is responsible for the translations.
    I've been playing boardgames on a higher level than average (man, that sounds arrogant, but you guys get what I mean ) for several years now, but I've never had the opportunity to talk to game designers, playtesters and so on. My point is, I don't really know the mechanics of game publishing, so I thought my best bet was to make a thread in this forum and just ask the community.
    Also, I'm willing to post translations I think are correct for the aforementioned cards if there are people out there that are interested.
    I would really like to hear Mr. Colbys opinion on this issue

Colby's email is [email protected], I'm sure he'd be happy to hear from german buyers and hear your thoughts.

It's really a bummer that the German translations have a lot of mistakes. The SWs card texts are very carefully drawn up, and are very consistent in their use of words. Anyone attempting a translation should be aware of that.

I made a glossary of terms used in the card texts for Summoner Wars, posted here. This might be useful for those wanting to make, or correct, translations of the cards.

I sent him an e-mail. Thanks for your suggestion Setharillius.
    When I got some time I will go over the cards I got, compare them to the english ones and just post corrected translations. Let's see if we can build our own little translation corrections list for all the german summoners out there!
    Thank you Barliman for the nice link, it's very helpful!

Cool. Where do you get German Summoner Wars cards? Are there more languages avaliable?
    Never heard of her?!? It's the car that did the Cannonball run in less than 0.0000000000015645847216634030102578805262265 parsecs!

Colby answered! He told me, for any issues with the german releases, I should go on http://www.uhrwerk-verlag.de/ which I will do of course.
    Hogg, I got my copies from my FLGS. For other languages just go on http://boardgamegeek.com/ and look up Summoner Wars. There you can find almost anything you want to know about boardgames.

First update for my translation corrections incoming! Four Cave Goblins cards are wrong. I don't know if my translations are correct and if there are more cards wrong, but here are my versions:

CG: Unbesiegbarkeit/Goblin Invincibility

Bis zum Beginn deiner nächsten Runde erhalten alle Einheiten der Höhlengoblins, die du kontrollierst, durch Angriffswürfe von Gegnern nur bei 6 oder höher einen Wundenmarker.

CG: Mook

Wenn du mit einer Einheit der Höhlengobins angreifst, die du kontrollierst und sich nicht weiter als 3 Felder von Mook entfernt befindet, addiere zu jedem Würfelwurf 1.

CG: Angriff der Horde/Goblin Horde Attack

Wenn diese Einheit angreift, addiere für jede andere, freundliche Einheit der Höhlengoblins die sich benachbart zur angegriffenen Karte befindet, 1 zu ihrem Angriffswert.

CG: Sneeks

Am Ende deiner Runde kann Sneeks den Platz mit einer anderen Einheit der Höhlengoblins die du kontrollierst, tauschen.

PE, GD and TO wll eventually follow.

Quote Originally Posted by munky View Post
    However, i more and more discovered, that my german version of the game has many mistakes in the card texts.
    Hello munky. I saw your translations above and I would also like to see the old mistaken German cards to see the difference. You posted new translations to some cards. Can you post the old card texts also that I see the difference.
    Thanks!

-JanE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast