Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debating

Done. Let' see how many other people we can drag into this.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Anyone else like debating? I personally like debating other people, over all sorts of topics. Part of the reason why I'm always on the Internet. I particularly enjoy debating controversial topics, like religion or politics, with mature people. So, who also enjoys a calm, controlled, good-spirited debate? I'm certain many of you do - I can safely say from experience that most gamers enjoy a good debate, for some reason.

And no, I do not go out of way to troll, annoy, and/or disrespect people with different views than me. Hell, those people annoy me more than anyone else.
    I always like a good debate, but am always worried I inadvertently start a flame war. Or a 'here we go again' kind of respose. I major in philosophy and some-I-mean-most-times have a tendency to overanalyse or overthink things. And view/approach my hobbies from such perspectives. For instance every roleplaying character I have in D&D for instance has a fairly detailed view of how they believe magic works (which is usually some hodgepodge of whatever the hell I've been reading lately). This has led to several in character debates where the DM could just kinda take a break. I would debate my computer games if I could (bastards don't listen).

Particular interests: Philosophy (mostly philosophy of mind, metaphysics and ethics), Religion, Gender, and all of those subjects related to fantasy/scifi and horror fiction.

Yeah, if you're a philosophy major, I am not debating you. Did that once - you guys always win, and you usually make me think so hard my head hurts.

When I debate, I usually do it with friends.

I too like to debate religion. Interesting topic.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).

Joseph you just have/do 3 things to beat him.
    1.Faith
    2.REMEMBER THE QUOTE
    3.Use Pixie dust
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

what is the goal of your debating? To win the debate or to get enlightened by the it?

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    what is the goal of your debating? To win the debate or to get enlightened by the it?
    This, pretty much. Mostly debate to see where other people come from, see where they stand on particular issues. Not to prove I am right, or the other is wrong. Different viewpoints can be quite enlightening for reviewing your own stance.

And yes, philosophers have a tendency make people's head hurt. It's not always out of spite though. Most of the times we are just as baffled by the stuff we use to baffle people with.

Then I'm in!
    I think I have a good overview of my own opinions, so other peoples opinions are inherently more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    The winning thing was a joke. The head thing is completely real. Heck, I've gotten migraines from just talking with a philosophy major before.

It really depends. Most of the time, I enjoy a debate simply if it's a good one. I don't mind losing, usually. I enjoy seeing something through the eyes of another. On occasion, though, an issue will come up where I want to win. These issues are ones that I feel strongly about, I know a lot about, and usually have a definitive right answer. Like Evolution vs. Creationism.

Also, forgot to mention, I like to play the Devil's advocate a lot. One of my favorite school assignments was in 8th grade, when I was assigned to argue for the British in a class debate about the American Revolution. It was really fun and interesting. Definitely opens ones eyes to how the world around us really isn't all black and white.
    Last edited by Joseph; 06-20-2014 at 09:38 PM.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    The winning thing was a joke. The head thing is completely real. Heck, I've gotten migraines from just talking with a philosophy major before.

It really depends. Most of the time, I enjoy a debate simply if it's a good one. I don't mind losing, usually. I enjoy seeing something through the eyes of another. On occasion, though, an issue will come up where I want to win. These issues are ones that I feel strongly about, I know a lot about, and usually have a definitive right answer. Like Evolution vs. Creationism.

Also, forgot to mention, I like to play the Devil's advocate a lot. One of my favorite school assignments was in 8th grade, when I was assigned to argue for the British in a class debate about the American Revolution. It was really fun and interesting. Definitely opens ones eyes to how the world around us really isn't all black and white.
    Joseph, I think we'll get along fine. I'll try to keep the philosophical mumbo-jumbo-speak at a minimum (or at least explain what I mean).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12