Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a new master set being released in the future?

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

In that case, let's just stop making cards. That oughtta help the game.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Well, I think that would be great, i would agree with the minimal necessary to fill some gaps and help some factions in some matchups, but yes, other than that, I think stop making cards would be the best.

You mean like what Magic did? Oh, wait.

Not releasing new content is the death of many a franchise. Releasing too much can also kill the , but that is typically if the quality of the new content decreases. Plus there's the business aspect.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Oh wow, this is going to be awesome. They kinda hinted about dual faction stuff in the bios, but I didn't think it would really happen. And eight decks in a master set is good too. I hope they keep coming with the second summoners as well.

I'm curious to see if there are dual faction summoners, or how that will work. I assume the decks will come with new summoners because its a MS, not an expansion. Maybe dual faction decks with two summoners that you pick from.

This ought to make all the existing champs and commons all the more useful for deckbuilding too. And the existing summoners always enjoy more options.
    Never heard of her?!? It's the car that did the Cannonball run in less than 0.0000000000015645847216634030102578805262265 parsecs!

Until today i had the impression that the summoner wars goal was to make a complete game. Not a neverending expanding like magic. It seems I'm wrong? If the goal was the first, which was what i always understood, i think the game is going too far. Otherwise, it really shift my view on a lot of things summoner wars related. For example i would agree on not fixing phoenix elves, i always proposed to fix old factions because i thought they were planned to be part of the final complete game, but if hte idea was opperating like magic, the best solution is to do as magic and have different formats where the old stuff is not available.

I really got on the summoner wars train because i thought the goal was the complete game, since it seems im wrong, i would like confirmation that changes a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tortugatron View Post
    Well I think it's going to be awesome. Maybe it'll be a novelty, maybe it will integrate perfectly with the rest of the stuff. But no matter what it is, it is also a storage solution! Yay! But will it fit two of everything? And if not, 10 of all the commons maybe? Sleeved? All of my purdy dice? If it will fit it all then maybe I won't have to buy a go7gaming box after all.
    You will be buying 2 boxes anyway then.
    Uncleeurope was Hulgorad the Sad in RALLUL'S BANQUET
    Uncleeurope was The Seer who Drank too Much Beer in The Great Marsh
    Uncleeurope was Prince Elien the Felon in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    Uncleeurope was Matt E. the Fatty in The Dance of Devils

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU!
    As for what I hate most: ... Uncleeurope.
    Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sam Farthen is OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    He just rams in, his games last 5 turns...tops

Alright, I'll be the Devil's advocate, and I'll agree with Waterd here. I think, with 32 summoners, plus the reinforcement decks, SW dances on a very fine line. That line separates a good game with lots of variety, and a game where the sheer amount of cards ruins many aspects. As it stands, SW has fantastic design and balance. It stands on the good side of that line. But if they add more even more Summoners, it will do 3 things...

1. Probably create truly unbalanced matches. With so many choices and variety, it's impossible to confirm that everything is balanced. The playtesters are awesome, and have done a great job so far. But you are HUMAN. It's easy to make mistakes, let something slide, miss a combo or something with so many factions. It wasn't a problem when we had 4 summoners; it will be if we have more than 32.

2. Scare new players. Honestly, games with less factions than SW, that have infinitely less variety than the factions of SW, still scare new players. The sheer amount of factions will make them wonder where to begin. Some will post here, or BGG, and we can help them with that. But many will simply steer clear of SW. Colby and crew have already stated sales on SS were a bit underwhelming - that's some of the more easily scared potential players getting freaked out. I think the fact that there are only 16 factions, and the new summoner are part of an existing faction, makes 32 summoners less daunting. But forget new summoners.

3. Loses faction identity. There are only so many abilities, statlines, and such you can mash up to make a thematic PE unit. Or TO unit. Or BD unit. Or ANY unit! This only applies if Hybrid factions are a mash-up of existing summoners.

Again, I'm playing the devil's advocate. Nobody take this personally, I'm just doing it because so many people don't understand. I know you can make a just-as-strong, if not stronger case for new summoners. I'm just letting you know where our minds are at now.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

I’m very happy about this news. I never tire of having anything that might expand one of my favourite games.

At the moment, my speculation is :

* the 16 Factions might have been paired 2 to 2 (maybe following the infos in the Factions bios?), in order to obtain 8 “Hybrid” Factions (from now on HF);
    * in this 1st HF Master Set we might have only the First Summoners paired (maybe we’ll have a 2nd HF MS with the Second Summoners paired, in the future, I don’t know);
    * each of the HF card might show both symbols of the “allied” Factions;
    * we shouldn’t have new Summoners;
    * each of the 2 “allied” Summoners might have a variant of its original setup (maybe this variant setup might exchange one of the original setup Units with one of the new HF Units, placing it even in a new position, I don’t know);
    * each of the HF might have 9 Event Cards, as normal, but these new Events will be divided between the 2 “allied” Summoners (that is, for example, assuming a VG-MV “alliance”, 4/5 cards might be new Sera’s Events, while the remaining ones might be new Sunderved’s Events);
    * maybe some these new Events might be specific for HF Units;
    * HF Units can only be deck-built in the “allied” Factions.

I think this might be a way to increase the choices for First Summoners (for now) with minimal effort, without designing new Commons + new Champions + new Events for EACH of the total 32 Summoners.

The only question that I would think with my speculation would be how a given Unit could be good, for example, for BOTH the FL and for another Faction (or for SO and for another Faction, and so on). That is, with Factions that have very specific game mechanics (Vine Walls, Mutations, etc).

However, regardless of what the final product will be, I want once again making a huge applause (and giving a sincere thank you) to SW designers and the playtesters because they continue to support, always with new ideas and products, this superb game.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Until today i had the impression that the summoner wars goal was to make a complete game. Not a neverending expanding like magic. It seems I'm wrong? If the goal was the first, which was what i always understood, i think the game is going too far. Otherwise, it really shift my view on a lot of things summoner wars related. For example i would agree on not fixing phoenix elves, i always proposed to fix old factions because i thought they were planned to be part of the final complete game, but if hte idea was opperating like magic, the best solution is to do as magic and have different formats where the old stuff is not available.

I really got on the summoner wars train because i thought the goal was the complete game, since it seems im wrong, i would like confirmation that changes a lot to me.
    I can't confirm or deny that, and my remarks aren't meant to insinuate anything. I merely wanted to understand why people don't want more Summoners.

I suppose I choose to look on the positive side and say that more Summoners gives the game more variety, which can't be bad. Does it provide more barrier to entry? Maybe. I'm in the midst of putting together an analysis of all the factions and Summoners in the game and a brief synopsis of what they can and can't do well that I'd hope would help new players learn a faction or summoner at a glance to address that problem.

If I look at Magic, at any given time there are 5 colors, each of which is good at a few things. Am I wrong to think that, during a given block, you can make a one-color deck that focuses on one of 2-3 strats? Add then the fact that you can mix colors, and aren't you looking at 30-40 potential builds to learn? It still seems like a lot to me, but I don't know the competitive magic meta, so maybe I'm wrong.

I know that SW's very stringent deck building requirements eliminate a lot of potential combos and learning, and also make this game much easier to balance than most others. When we test a second summoner for instance, we only have to test that deck, how old units work in it, and how new units work in the old deck. That's really not that much. In a game like magic, you have to test every card against every card - no wonder they needs blocks and a ban list.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

More SW for me please! I don't care if I can fully anticipate my opponents moves and deck build. In fact, I want him (or her) to surprise me. I find the 2nd summoners moving into that direction. The matches feel less predictable and more exciting. I prefer that excitement over the chess-like feel the original MUs seem to have become.

Perhaps new players need a resource that explains a few suggested deck builds and how to play them. I know that exists in forum posts and blogs, but maybe some could be added to the PHG website.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast