Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Is there a new master set being released in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    We had a good run. The memories were real.
    Indeed they were. Had a blast!
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

I just wanted to thank Jexik for a great post.

For normal games I don't mind draws (the rule should help to determine a draw with not taking an action similar to repeated positions in chess or passing). For the tournament play in a knockout it seems to be more problematic because it will have to punish one of the players who would be forced to attack first in a case of a stalemate situation. I like how you mentioned chess and football as the examples, both games that have its own problems with stalemates/draws. Football leagues were plagued by draws and managed to get more attractive by giving 3 points for a win but the same unfortunately cannot be applied to knockout tournament system. The chess example is more applicable to SW and something along the lines of the rule of three subsequent passes should be put in a rulebook at some point (something similar to what dok's proposing).

The thing is that for football it took like hundred years to change the points system in the leagues and people still loved it. For the newcomer this thread might seem that there is some big problem in the core rules of SW, even though there's not (the issue of how to resolve draws during a tournament play is a minor issue).

The question if it is healthy for the game to expand more and if it will eventually discourage new players is indeed an important question and it is hard to answer. From my perspective the people I introduced to the game usually love it and don't care that much about that they are put in the disadvantage when they don't know what they play against (with those I usually discuss some basic potential threats of the deck they're playing against before we play) and If they want to dwell deeper into the game and play more I still think that there's not that much to learn to be able start playing competitively in comparison to other games. If you're playing with someone casually, it's just best not to switch between factions every game to enjoy the game more adding a new faction into the mix just from time to time. So for me it is more important that the playtesters manage to find game-breaking combos before releases. As far as the releases are good, I'm content with it and I think it shouldn't bother casual players either (so far I think they are great).

I play for example Dominion casually. I like it, don't have everything released and don't bother with it, because I enjoy the game just with seaside and prosperity. With summoner wars it can be the same. You can own just a master set and still have a wonderful experience playing with your friends/family so for me I just don't seem to be bothered that much with new factions being released. All the SS are great so far (I love Jexik btw even though he seems really powerful from the few games I had with him so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he would become one of the top tier summoners).

So yes, I think that to ask questions about the game general direction is important, but personally I'm quite comfortable with where it is and I'm happy that we're still receiving more.

Yeah, this thread is completely off, it's funny. I'm stopping right here…

I want to see the new rule book more than the cards. I think the new deck building rules and rules dealing with the hybrid factions will tell us more than looking through a few of the decks would.
    Never heard of her?!? It's the car that did the Cannonball run in less than 0.0000000000015645847216634030102578805262265 parsecs!

First of all let me state that I don't think ties are that big of a problem in the current metagame. Maybe they were once when the game had 4-6 factions, maybe they are still on iOS (i have no idea why they have all most boring factions ). Now let me present some of my "ideas":

I still think that rules should encourage players to fight for the middle.
    Trying to develop anti-stalemate rule is in my opinion a bit forced. I think even if we found one we will still have problems with awkward games that are played the way they are played to avoid tiebreakers.

For me roots of all problems lie in three things:
    1. There is nothing to encourage me to go offensive if I can just stay far away with my summoner. If there is no pressure from my opponent, there is no pressure for me to pressure the opponent (that sounds extremly weird, but I hope it's understandable).
    2. Units have "haste" in this game therefore developing board position is less neccessary. A lot of factions can summon during event phase which leads to walls + summon combos.
    3. It's much harder to play as the attacker than to play as the defender, because a) lot of tricks are much easier used in the defensive position b) all summoners can be used defensivly and it's hard to use some offensivly and don't get trapped

To expand more on 1: the closest we have to "clock", which opponent has to react in this game, is pinging walls. When I have a ranged unit that is pinging enemy wall and my opponent is doing nothing I force him to finally do something and then I can react to his reaction. That is how I play boring matchups ATM, trying to have better way of forcing my opponent, having that slight edge. It's working ok, but it's extremly slow (1 attack vs 9 health wall that's pretty long 14-15 attacks on average) and not that exciting and in the meantime I'm allowing him to trigger his CUEs.

What should be done? Let me repeat myself: "I still think that rules should encourage players to fight for the middle."
    Here is example of a rule that won't work but you will give a better understanding:
    A. If one player has more units in the 4 center spaces on the board than the opponent he can put one card from his discard pile on top on his magic pile.

It wouldn't work, because it's not balanced for all the factions, but it will let people play offensive and make for a more dynamic gameplay in almost all matchups.

TL;DR: We shouldn't break stalemates we should encourage players to play offensivly.

My experience in the current metagame is that people are forced to play Dema, tundle, etch, mugg, rune mage or suicide or tie. The problem is when i put people in tie or suicide scenarios, they do suicide. But here is something that i agree, stalemates, and defensive strong play are TWO different problems.
    Last edited by Waterd; 03-29-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Waturd, we play on Vassal. I keep getting interrupted during my IOS games nowadays.

Im not sure how we should do it on vassal, im not comfortable in vassal since i have much less experience there and I can't really exploit much except playing tundle everygame, and the probelm is that im not good with tundle. but how you propose we pick factions and or deckbuilds?

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930