Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Playdek Ascension players?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    JYoder stole my child!

Starchild is one of my favorite cards.

Good game!
    Guess I'm a kidnapper. Yeah, she's a great card and much better than the Apprentice I was expecting.

Fun games! And glad you could charge your iPad in time!

Hey Jyoder and UE, what's up with our game? I'm still in to play some games and try it out.

I'm familiar with all the expansions. What don't you like about the center row, Ranior? I might be able to help.
    Well looking at the prices, it seems clear that the Bundle is the only sensible thing to buy anyhow if I am going to expand. (3 or 4 dollars per expansion or 5 dollars for all? Easy choice)

With that being said, my specific qualms about Ascension primarily are around the center row mechanic. I just do not like how not everyone has equivalent access. It adds another level of luck on top of the luck of the draw. This isn't to say it's terrible--clearly the center row mechanic is one of the core pieces of the game design. My main point is when I'm looking to play a deckbuilder in person with friends, I turn to Dominion and Thunderstone as I both prefer those. Ascension is a good game that I like, but to me Dominion is a great game that I love.

The real problem to me though is how some cards I never even get a chance at and can be so good. In the base game, mechana are worth insane points compared to any other option. Yet my opponent snatches the Grand Design before I ever get my shot at it, and am left with less attractive options. It's a frustrating additional level of luck that I'm not fond of. There are plenty of ways to help mitigate that luck, and that is a good part of what Ascenscion is about I think (controlling what is in the center row, and being flexible with your deck to both be able to take out monsters or buy cards). If some expansions help make that luck easier to mitigate or somehow lessen it though, that would be something I'm interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

I don't think any of the expansions really alter that for better or worse. Also, Mechana constructs are always worth their cost in points, but in later expansions their abilities are not as ridiculously good as the ones like Grand Design in the first block (Chronicle of the Godslayer + Return of the Fallen). That is one reason I like Block 2 more (Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes).

Many Ascension players like to just mix all the sets together and not play them by block, which can also be fun, but adds even more randomness to the center row, so I imagine you might not like that method any better.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

I don't think any of the expansions really alter that for better or worse. Also, Mechana constructs are always worth their cost in points, but in later expansions their abilities are not as ridiculously good as the ones like Grand Design in the first block (Chronicle of the Godslayer + Return of the Fallen). That is one reason I like Block 2 more (Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes).

Many Ascension players like to just mix all the sets together and not play them by block, which can also be fun, but adds even more randomness to the center row, so I imagine you might not like that method any better.
    Aha, probably not. Adding more randomness and even less cohesion to the center row likely would frustrate me more. As is now you can at least get some nice synergy between enough cards to make do with what is there.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll have to look more into it. If I start playing some more games online with some players here maybe I'll wind up getting expansions and trying it out. I love gaming and playing games with friends on my iphone is a nice way to get some daily gaming in.
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.

Yeah. Expansions add a lot more variance to the center row when mixed all together, but are overall more balanced and complicated than the initial game, where you can quickly figure out exactly which cards are great (Grand Design, Master Dhara) and abuse them. I prefer playing with the second set (Storm of Souls + Expansion) since it adds a whole more variance in different ways to win than the initial game does. Also provides a lot more strategic choices for the players, especially with the mechana construct abilities.

I like the Ascension exps a lot. More card choices. More options to banish cards you don't want others to have. More options to acquire cards from the void. More ways to creativity use your attack points if no monsters are available. More options to cycle through your deck faster, etc. (It also helped that the artwork got a lot better!)

However, the center row mechanic will always be what it is, so I get why some prefer Dominion or Thunderstone (because the same cards are always available from start to finish) yet I also get why some don't (because the same cards are only available from start to finish.)

On a side note, while I like Dominion, I was surprised I didn't like Thunderstone, as it felt like more of a math exercise and not at all like I was delving into a dungeon. Also, my favorite deck builder these days is Marvel Legendary.

Speaking of Marvel, anyone looking to get the upcoming Marvel Dice Masters dice builder game? I was excited at the idea of Quarriors, but overall didn't care for it for various reasons. However, it looks like they're addressing many of those issues with this new game.

Quote Originally Posted by JYoder View Post
    Speaking of Marvel, anyone looking to get the upcoming Marvel Dice Masters dice builder game? I was excited at the idea of Quarriors, but overall didn't care for it for various reasons. However, it looks like they're addressing many of those issues with this new game.
    Yeah It looks like it is smoother and more strategic. I am definitely more interested in it.
    Uncleeurope was Hulgorad the Sad in RALLUL'S BANQUET
    Uncleeurope was The Seer who Drank too Much Beer in The Great Marsh
    Uncleeurope was Prince Elien the Felon in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    Uncleeurope was Matt E. the Fatty in The Dance of Devils

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU!
    As for what I hate most: ... Uncleeurope.
    Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sam Farthen is OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    He just rams in, his games last 5 turns...tops

As yu have probably noticed, JYoder, I got bored of waiting for Ranior. :P
    Uncleeurope was Hulgorad the Sad in RALLUL'S BANQUET
    Uncleeurope was The Seer who Drank too Much Beer in The Great Marsh
    Uncleeurope was Prince Elien the Felon in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    Uncleeurope was Matt E. the Fatty in The Dance of Devils

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU!
    As for what I hate most: ... Uncleeurope.
    Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sam Farthen is OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    He just rams in, his games last 5 turns...tops

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    As yu have probably noticed, JYoder, I got bored of waiting for Ranior. :P
    LOL... especially since I considered doing the same with you for the same reason.
    Only send a friendly invite (JYoder77) if you don't play PE, TO, GD, BD, no Rallul units outside of Rallul, and no Etch or Rune Mages (even in Rallul).
    My Custom Faction Creator tool. Contains demo images to show what you can create.
    Why Sunderved cries himself to sleep at night.

I like the Ascension exps a lot. More card choices. More options to banish cards you don't want others to have. More options to acquire cards from the void. More ways to creativity use your attack points if no monsters are available. More options to cycle through your deck faster, etc. (It also helped that the artwork got a lot better!)

However, the center row mechanic will always be what it is, so I get why some prefer Dominion or Thunderstone (because the same cards are always available from start to finish) yet I also get why some don't (because the same cards are only available from start to finish.)

On a side note, while I like Dominion, I was surprised I didn't like Thunderstone, as it felt like more of a math exercise and not at all like I was delving into a dungeon. Also, my favorite deck builder these days is Marvel Legendary.

I will say that I prefer Dominion. I do also like Thunderstone quite a bit though, but there is a lot more math and calculation. It doesn't really make things very smooth at times and it can bog down. The theme is iffy at parts...overall I like it though.

LOL... especially since I considered doing the same with you for the same reason.
    Whoah what is this? I didn't get a notification that it was my turn. Does Ascension not do that? I like how Summoner Wars lets me know when it is my turn. Does this app not do that?

Taking my turn now at least.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast