Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Overpowered Cards

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWilde View Post
    I definitely agree with Freeze being overpowered. It's the reason my brother won't play Summoner Wars with me anymore...
    Lol, were you playing Freeze with Bragg on him? That does get frustrating.
    Hush, Hodor! No more Hodoring!

How can Violet get 6 attack? What am I missing?

Luka is pretty strong. It can be tough to get anything going when s/he is taking away all your special powers. (Hilgendwarf knows what I'm talking about!)
    I <3 SERA

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by joepinion View Post
    IMO Kynder is a bigger problem than Tundle. He should have 5 life only... even though his ability costs magic, it's crazy powerful, so it's a +1, and I'd rather bring his life down than move his magic cost up, because 6 life means you generally have to deal with him for 3+ turns (and that's if he's in the fight instead of operating from a distance).

Also, I agree Etch and Rune Mage are big time... The interesting thing is that they wouldn't be on the list if they weren't Mercs. The possibility of them being everywhere is what makes them silly. (That reminds me: Rygos!)
    I listed Tundle because it's his ability that allows the entire deck to sit back and wait until the board suits them. Without Meditate forcing the opponent to act, Lun and Kynder have to be much more offensive, and it doesn't suit them as well (though they're both crazy fun attackers). Tundle is what makes their craziness possible though.

And yeah - Etch and Rune Mages are super strong because they can go anywhere. In Rallul they're strong, but it's ok.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Nice list, but I have a big complaint. I think Spy should be replaced with Freeze. While Spy is very powerful, there is only one of it, and it is extremely luck based. For every time I've pulled a monster Spy on someone and messed up their entire plan through discarding an important event or champ, I've drawn nothing but commons and events that come in 3x, or drawn Spy at the bottom of my deck. Luck-based cards like Spy aren't OP, and make the game really fun. They also make it memorable - nobody will say, "Hey, remember when I double magic drained you? It was awesome!" However, talking about that time where Spy got rid of a key card, and forced your opponent on his toes, will be the stuff that you will talk about for a long time. Not to mention, the CL are infamous for their horrible champ killing ability, and Spy really helps give then a chance to get rid of heavy bruisers that they can't ever take out.

Freeze, on the other hand, is evil. You see, their are 2 kinds of summoners in this game. I like to call them Bonus Summoners and Mandatory Summoners. Those titles refer to their respective abilities. Bonus summoners include Prince Elien, Oldin, and Selundar. They have nice abilities, but they aren't crucial to your game. You can easily and often win without using FIRE BLAST, STONE MELDING, or OUT OF SHADOWS in a game. Mandatory Summoners include Sera Eldwyn, Sneeks, and Vlox. Often, you need to use the abilities of these summoners to win, as they are crucial elements of the faction's style. Freeze completely wrecks those summoners, because you usually need to unfreeze them right away. Imagine playing Sneeks without the Sly ability, Vlox without Master of the Art, or Sunderved without Command. Freeze can do that to you. It can sap you of a mix of your summoners talents, and magic. There's 3 of it, meaning you will be paying six magic, and losing your summoner for at least a turn in most games. It's as if the TO player had no freezes, and you had 1 less champ in your deck, AND your opponent can decide 3 turns were your summoner has no ability!
    Last edited by Joseph; 02-07-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Yeah, Freeze affecting Summoners is pretty BS. So is Luka and similar things affecting them...

For me, it's probably:

1) Magic Drain
    2) Rune Mages
    3) Freeze
    4) Spirit of the Phoenix/Fireblast (I hate instawins)
    5) Heroic Feat
    6) Gror
    7) Fire Drake
    8) Burn/Greater Burn
    9) Rukar
    10) Luka

Slight tweaks would make some of those fine. I'm sure there are some other culprits that should be listed.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Honorable mention to PE Warriors and SG Shaman
    Not all who wander are lost.

What?

No Magic Stasis? That card totally blows out a deck that's trying to build for one big Champion, prevents Vlox from using Cloak or Assassinate; Sera, Krusk, and Ret from using their abilities, makes Smeege go to rehab, etc. When it's good, it's really game changing.

Silts?

I definitely agree on Magic Drain, Greater Burn, Defenders, Gror, Grognack.

The funny thing about Thwarters is that I justified them at the time by saying that they were worse than Defenders and maybe better than Guardian Knights, but filled a similar role to those units. Also consider how strong Smashers and Shamans were at 2 and 1 cost. Beyond that, there were lots of 1 AV units at that stage in the development of the game (first 6 factions) and the PE had ways around Ice Shield as well. We also liked the idea of an anti-champion unit; this was the time of people not playing 3 champions and calling it a day, but just one.

So, Old Thorkur would be the real #0 card on this list, and guess what card trumps him? Magic Stasis! iOS Freeze! And uh... Chant of Negation. We'd have a four faction game. Maybe CG too, because they sometimes knocked old Thorkur down before he got set up.

My choices:

1. Magic Drain with Elien and Oldin. Its usage in other decks actually seems thematic and balanced. But with those two it seems too much.

2. Freeze. I think a varieties of reworkings can make ot a decemt but not crazy card.

3. Gror. If he wasnt around I feel Oldin would actually have bad MU's. I feel a price increase and lack of Heroic Feat would balance him out fine. Which leads me too....

4. Heroic Feat. i think make it common only and it'd be fine.

I have a big problem with Hulgorad, Rygos, and Urick. But. they arent overpowered just overrated

Quote Originally Posted by cmarie View Post

Luka is pretty strong. It can be tough to get anything going when s/he is taking away all your special powers. (Hilgendwarf knows what I'm talking about!)
    It cracks me up when people don't know Luka and Quen are female. Anyhow, I think Luka isn't that OP, she's the one of the only ranged MV unit aside from Quen, for now, so I think it's fair to have that ability. And her low life makes it easy to take her down :/
    ╪ deadicate yourself to the Fallen Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by cmarie View Post

It cracks me up when people don't know Luka and Quen are female. Anyhow, I think Luka isn't that OP, she's the one of the only ranged MV unit aside from Quen, for now, so I think it's fair to have that ability. And her low life makes it easy to take her down :/
    ╪ deadicate yourself to the Fallen Kingdom

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast