Thread: timely arrival/combat question

Default timely arrival/combat question

So it seems that thematically, the timely arrival card is used to boost combat in a space that does not contain the airship by adding the combat value of this card and also moving the airship to that location. however, i found myself in a situation today where i wanted to use it differently, and nothing on the card indicated that I could not. this was during the world event phase, and I controlled elizabeth, so booker was gunning for me. i had my defenses in place and the airship was actually on the location with elizabeth. what i wanted to do was play the card for the 6 combat points and then move the airship to monument island, claiming the territory token on that important spot. we decided that this was totally legit per the card text, but the question is this : would the airship unit's die be included in the booker combat and then moved to monument island for the territory combat, or would it move to monument island first, deal with that combat "immediately," as the card text says, leaving the booker combat and any units/cards involved on a sort of "hold?" I felt that this was the fair way to handle the situation, and everything turned out in my favor anyway. in fact, the airship won the territory, netting me an upgrade to a flak-man card that was in play against booker. I guess that brings up a second question; does this upgrade apply to the "on hold" flak-man card, even though it was played before the upgrade was applied? again, i won both combat situations either way, but it made for a slightly weird game-state. thanks to any who can clarify!

Hi, I just read your post. I think I understand where you went wrong, you do NOT take the 6+ Combat Value with you when the Airship moves.

Timely Arrival Airship Card
    "After you have played this card for any purpose, you may move the Airship unit to any location on the board. This does not count as one of your movements. The Airship must be on the board in order to use this ability. Immediately resolve any combat that may take place."

The most important thing to remember is the ORDER in which you do things. The Rule Book does a good job of numbering the order of the Phases but words like BEFORE, AFTER & IMMEDIATELY are equally important!

• You could have played this card during the Vote Phase for it's Influence Value. Then moved the Airship to a location of your choice BUT if you then entered Combat with a Territory Token you do NOT get the 6+ Combat Value!
    • You could have used the card during Combat Phase with Booker for it's Combat Value. As long as the unit wasn't destroyed by Booker you could then move the Airship to a location of your choice BUT if you then entered Combat with a Territory Token you do NOT get the 6+ Combat Value!
    • Or you could have saved the card (as long as the unit wasn't destroyed by Booker) and claimed it's Silver Eagle Value during the Produce Phase. Then moved the Airship to a location of your choice BUT if you then entered Combat with a Territory Token you do NOT get the 6+ Combat Value!

Finally you could play the card outside of these examples but you would LOOSE it's Combat Value, Influence Value and Silver Eagle Value. Very wasteful!
    Bester

This doesn't fully address the questions, but thank you. i think your second suggestion is very on the money. I know that you only get the card's value for the combat (or vote/production phase) in which you play it. So after i play the card, i move the airship and immediately resolve combat that takes place. I think i used way too many words in my OP. Here we go:
    1. Does the airship stick around and complete the combat that you have played the card on and then move to the new desired location, or
    2. does the airship move immediately, as it is after you have played the card, which would leave the current combat with the card on hold? this would remove the airship's die from the current combat and take it to another. the card value would only apply on the original.

and the side question: if #2 is the way to go, and the airship wins a combat on the new location, could that victory provide an upgrade that increases the combat value of one of the cards in the original combat that is waiting to be resolved, even though that card was already played?

option #1 seems like the cleanest game state, but I didn't want to include that airship die in the original combat and gain that benefit if i wasn't supposed to.

I didn't notice before that you had the Airship Unit AND the Airship Card, this threw me. You were very lucky to have both at the same time!

Number one for sure.

So yes, the Airship Unit would fight and you would gain the benefit of the Red Dice from that and you could also play the Airship Card's Combat Value too. As long as the Airship Unit isn't destroyed (unlikely) this is the point were I was trying to stress the card's words "After you have played this card for any purpose" it's ability would take effect and you could move the Airship to the location of your choice.
    Bester