Thread: Stand back-to-back always

Default Stand back-to-back always

As per my understanding of the rules, you can have up to 4 minions or 4 mice in any small square. Small minions will always try to move into the same square if they can, failing which they will attack from an adjacent square.

Many special abilities of the mice benefit from a tight, back-to-back mouse formation which I will describe below.

First, Nez's Hammer gives a +2 bonus when attacking a minion in an adjacent space, as opposed to a +1 bonus when attacking a minion in the same space. Keeping four mice in a space ensures that the minions can't get in, thus making them the targets of a 4-attack-die attack from Nez.

Tilda gets a +1 bonus for each wounded mouse on the same space. Since the minion attack rules are such that they tend to spread out damage, this means that Tilda may get to attack with up to 5 dice if the other three mice on the space are wounded.

Being in the same space allows other mice to pass cheese to Tilda during their free exchange action, allowing Tilda to reciprocate by using Mass Heal on them, which she will have no problem doing since they are all on the same space.

Some additional strategy points:

In chapter 1, on the last tile (The Courtyard), we found it useful to let the minions come to us rather than go after them. If we get reasonably lucky, some of them will roll "1" and get taken out by the dastardly old crow.

In chapter 1, on the first tile, Nez can find the Tinkerer's Treasure card, and play it to get any armor or weapon of his choice. Choosing the walnut armor gives him an extra defense die, and gives him one extra die to roll when trying to get out of the water on the flip side of the tile.

When we use the "let them come to us" strategy, we will often have the mice search instead of attacking so as not to waste the action.

On the Miss Maggie / kitchen tile, we use the fishline hook to get at least one mouse onto the table quickly. As per the rules, the roaches only eat the cheese if no mouse is attacking them - getting one mouse onto the table and attacking them stops them from adding cheese to the cheese wheel.

On the last turn after all minions are defeated, we will usually have the first three mice use the opportunity to search, and have the last mouse explore and change the tile before cheese gets added to the wheel.

Seems like strategic choices but what is the intention of the game, to be strategic like in Monopoly or Advanced Squad Leader, or playing thematically as in "doing what the mice probably would have done if this was for real"?
    I guess the creator of the game has some kind of answer regarding this subject.

Most games are made with the assumption that players will play to win unless it is an actual role-playing game. I know you can speak in character if you want, but in this context I would distinguish that from an actual role-playing game where the role-playing is an integrated facet of the game.

I wonder if keeping cluttered up is the best strategy. I haven't tried it and am not a pro at this game by any means, so I can't say for sure, but it seems like there would be pro's and con's:

PRO: One mouse will never get ganged up on by multiple minions since minions will always have secondary targets. Everyone is in range to share (especially for cheese). In many areas, you can bottleneck so that you only have to fight a large minion by itself or the small minions, not all at once, since the large one won't be able to move through them and vice versa. It ought to provide more opportunities for searching (but beware of inopportune treachery -- I tend to avoid searching late into the chapter for this reason). Collin's "Give Order" (a personal favorite) will be useful more often, as will the ability to allow him a second attack after a successful one since minions will be cluttered around the group, having only one location to move toward.

CON: You can more quickly kill small minions if you go to them and split up, potentially squashing them before they can strike back, and in the process giving fewer opportunities for them to roll cheese. You can't move far each turn without risking stragglers. Your only way to deal with ranged minions will be to use ranged attacks of your own (in which case you want Maginos or Nere' to use Chain Lightning or better yet Strangle Vines). It will be difficult to get to various special search locations on some tiles, and tiles with water or yellow lines can be tricky. Area of effect attacks such as Brodie or the Clockwork Mortar will be brutal (though obviously you would see these things before they attack and adapt to the situation).

When I decided to respond, I thought the Con list would be worse, but the more I think about this, the more I like the idea, at least for solo play. In a group, I worry that suggesting the strategy will cut down on my team mates' decision making and potentially make the game less enjoyable for them. I am definitely going to try this next time I play alone and will bring it up as a possibility next time I play with a group.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

The visual of the tiny mice huddled up to defend against the numerically superior minions is really what I was going for when designing the game. The whole idea is that mice are weak, but their strength comes when they group up.
    Last edited by Grungebob; 10-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Always the Mice Guy!