Thread: How I learned to stop worrying and love the smoke bomb

Default How I learned to stop worrying and love the smoke bomb

The smoke bomb is an amazing thing. I've been using it lately in a fairly counter intuitive fashion I like to call the batman. The batman is very effective for yellow and red.
    To execute the batman do a move acton and attack an opponents space, fully commit to the first combat by mostly playing off the top so that your deck is depleted after you win the first combat and either steal a gang member with yellows leader or trigger one of reds mysterious benefactors. Then you simply smoke bomb out of the second battle and shuffler you discard back into your library.

For red you can trigger your MBs without worrying about two rounds of combat and you get to go "fishing" for scrappers by playing off the top, you also get the free "refresh" from the bombs shuffle.

For yellow you have a free action engine going, you get a move+refresh+recruit action all in one, and if you leave a disciple in your hand you can immediately draw through your deck after the smoke bomb and get all those rally the peoples again.

In other words the bomb friggin rocks.

Hrmmm, that is an interesting strategy. I've never quite tried to use the smoke bomb like that. I might have to investigate that style of play and see if I can make it work for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Yep! Note that the unique gang member Bross Starstrider can also give you a similar effect -- you can move your figure(s) out of the contested space after the first battle, allowing you to commit fully in the first battle.

It's a bit riskier, since you don't get to reshuffle your discard after the battle -- it can be countered somewhat by the opponent throwing the first battle and then immediately assaulting you before you can refresh, but it can be effective. I encountered a game where the yellow team took quite a bit of punch out of the red team by throwing everything at them in a battle, winning & stealing a scrapper, and then retreating with bross

Quote Originally Posted by wandrewni View Post
    Yep! Note that the unique gang member Bross Starstrider can also give you a similar effect -- you can move your figure(s) out of the contested space after the first battle, allowing you to commit fully in the first battle.

It's a bit riskier, since you don't get to reshuffle your discard after the battle -- it can be countered somewhat by the opponent throwing the first battle and then immediately assaulting you before you can refresh, but it can be effective. I encountered a game where the yellow team took quite a bit of punch out of the red team by throwing everything at them in a battle, winning & stealing a scrapper, and then retreating with bross
    Yeah Bross is amazing for this, I actually like him better in reds deck than in yellows.
    Last edited by blarknob; 09-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.

I love this strategy you just described, but it not for the factions you said. It is more for aggresive green players and yellow players, as Red generally can handle the second battle. Btw, the strategy you described has a pretty good counter, at least if you have an economy going. It's pretty obvious when someone sets up a smoke bomb "batman" turn. So the key? If you can, simply don't play anything! This allows for the flexibility of choosing from cards in your discard (or wherever you go to do that if you didn't play anything), which means it can even be helpful at times. One game as yellow, I even used this to my advantage. I got rid of unwanted cards, that weren't so useful after I used them a few times. Like traders, once i got all my black market stuff i wanted. Sure you lose a figure, but at some point, you should have an economy capable of replacing that guy in a heartbeat. If you can't do this (usually due to the space being important, such as being an important devemopment, or being at a point where you can't lose figures) Just commit fully to the battle as well. Then, refresh. With luck, you should hold out.

Don't get me wrong, It's an amzing strategy. I just like Debating. My counters are pretty much dependent on good deck control, and having useless figuresd(1), or luck (2). But they work anough time to be valid.

(p.s., love your name for the strategy. It should be a rule that have to do this whenever you use this strategy: Nananananananana Batman!
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Yeah i've certainly pulled the defense where you play nothing the first round for better selection of who dies.

I played a game last night and used the batman extensively with yellow, I was able to be very agressive while building my gang and getting free refreshes. it felt VERY strong. I think the shuffle effect on smoke bomb might be too strong, I'll need to play more to find out.

So after several years of playing I can confirm that the shuffle effect on smoke bomb is very much too strong. We have played without the shuffle effect for the last two years and it if much more reasonable, the smoke bomb is still awesome without the shuffle, just not broken.