Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Avan Variant

Okj, I tried some more Sluggish Walls with my dad. We played 15 games. We split them between the 3 factions I thought it would bust - CG, MV, and GD. We played against all the other factions. I played as the wall destroying faction 8 times, and my father, 7. 13 out 15 games, the destroying faction won. And in 14 of those games, all the walls of the other factions were destroyed. (In one game, I overextended with my MV. I killed all of his BD walls, but he had enough crap already out to take me.) It busts those factions horribly. And, even worse, the CG didn't suffer a single loss, and my dad and I suck with CG!

How about this rule, for each wall - If the player did not summon a unit adjacent to this wall this turn, place a wound marker on this wall.

There. Punishes players who spend turns not doing anything. Also buffs wall crowding. But it doesn't allow GD players to blow your wall up on turn two with nothing but their starting setup.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

I'm really glad you tried it, i'm sad that you didn't like the results.
    But that is not my experience, my experience is that MV and CG are still weaker, stronger yes? But I still do the same than without sluggish walls and i still feel i have the edge.
    In fact that is the reason of my post, i feel sluggish wall is not enough too boost offensive factions, so probably whatever rule i come up will be in addition to sluggish wall.

Here is my current tier list with the 4 first rules only:
    Tier A: Krusk, Rallul, Oldin,
    Tier B: Torgan, Grognack, Abua, Deep dwarves, Filth, Ellien, Maldaria
    Tier C: Benders, Sam, Mountain vargath, Sneeks, Frick, Mad sirian, Swamp orcs, Sera, Bolvi, Ret talus
    Tier D: Vlox, Selundar.

Your rule is interesting, I will think about it.
    Last edited by Waterd; 03-30-2014 at 05:53 PM.

How about this rule, for each wall - If the player did not summon a unit adjacent to this wall this turn, place a wound marker on this wall.

There. Punishes players who spend turns not doing anything. Also buffs wall crowding. But it doesn't allow GD players to blow your wall up on turn two with nothing but their starting setup.
    Hey! You copied my idea! I have yet to try this but I like its prospects.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Waterd, I think I know the problem. You are an inherently defensive player. It's why you've managed to highlight some flaws of the game so clearly. But you aren't nearly as good at offensive play. It's the only explanation I have, other than pure bad luck. I don't know how Sluggish walls aren't breaking your games. My tier list

Tier A: Krusk, Oldin, Grognack, Nikuya Na (he's going to be a huge pain to many players), Sam
    Tier B: Abua Shi, Sunderved, Jexik, Rallul, Demagogue, Tundle, Tacullu, Elien, Maldaria, Muglugg, Bolvi, Ret Talus (Warlocks), Sirian
    Tier C: Vlox, Selundar, Sneeks, Frick, Sera, Torgan

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).

Quote Originally Posted by esper88 View Post
    Hey! You copied my idea! I have yet to try this but I like its prospects.
    I'm sorry, did you post it somewhere? I must have missed it.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

Nikuya may be a serious problem, as UE pointed out you can give +2 to gorilla to put 8 wounds on a single wall on one attack. Gesh.
    Also your tier list is your guess with my variant or just your tier list for the normal game?

Normal game. It's pretty similar to yours, I'll explain the huge differences.

Nik and Sam on the first tier - OK, Nik is a bit of an educated guess. But I think he'll do very well in the current meta. Sam's a beast, and very hard to beat. He crushes all turtles, with the exception of either PE summoner, for obvious reasons.

All of the others that were moved are based off of my experience. I trust most of them, but some, like Torgan, are subject to change.

I have only 3 tiers, because that's all I need. Since I am an assassination main, I ranked Selundar and Vlox higher.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'm sorry, did you post it somewhere? I must have missed it.
    I think I posted that in the Rule Changes to Discourage Turtling thread. I failed to copyright it, so I guess I'm out of luck. :P

I was actually thinking of hosting a tourney with that rule (banning Oldin as well). Sneeks and Bolvi would get a nice boost, and I really like the idea of wall destruction being commonplace and a major consideration in games.
    Last edited by esper88; 03-30-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

I would play such tournament i dont see the need to ban oldin
    I was thinking that a great thing of this rule is that it serves both as anti stalemate rule and encourage aggression.
    Last edited by Waterd; 03-30-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Yeah, but it completely overpowers some factions. Here's what I think my/esper's rule will do.

-Encourage more Commons - You want to summon more to avoid dead walls.

-Encourage Aggression - With all of those commons, you'll want to be more aggressive, instead of letting the opponent off your units.

-Make wall destruction a viable strategy - Right now, wall destruction is very situational. I'd like it being a factor in most games.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast