Thread: Victory Point Upgrades?

Question Victory Point Upgrades?

Hello again,

Still loving this board game but have a question about Victory Point Upgrades or rather how many times you can claim them.

I had already claimed 3 Victory Points and 3 Upgrades for controlling all 4 locations in Territory C but then Booker attacked Location 6 (Our Lady Cemetery) and I lost...

I removed my 3 Victory Points because I no longer controlled all 4 locations.

Booker moved on during the World Event Phase and in my movement I reclaimed Location 6 and all 4 locations again reclaiming my 3 Victory Points BUT do I also claim the upgrades AGAIN?
    Bester

Nothing in the rules says otherwise, so you should claim an upgrade (keeping in mind the 3 upgrade cap) when you reclaim the territory VP.

But the question got me thinking - you could voluntarily abandon a region with no structure then reclaim it on the following turn for an upgrade, with the potential risk of an opponent swooping in by sky-line to steal the location.

Good thinking, yeah that would be a very cheeky move.

Just as well there is a 3+ upgrade cap!
    Bester

You do not get any upgrades of any kind when you take over a territory... You only claim the victory points that come with controlling that territory. The only time you can upgrade is when you take the first player token, win a combat, purchase one for 3$ during the BUILD/RECRUIT step, or CLAIM a victory point card. You do not get three upgrades either when you claim a victory point card that's worth 3 points... Hope this helps.

Thanks, I see what you are saying.

I just read page 17 again (Claiming Victory Points) and I think these are the key words:

"If a player controls all of the undestroyed locations in a territory, he places one of his victory tokens on that territory and gains its victory points."

Example: Claiming Territory C = One Victory Point Card, One Free Upgrade BUT (in this example) Three Victory Points!
    Bester

I'm not sure you do... (Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying) You do not get an upgrade for placing your victory point tokens on the map. (Claiming a territory). You only get it if you claim a victory point card. Ie. the card that gets added to the other victory point cards in every turn during the refresh phase.
    Last edited by Chudley; 09-29-2013 at 12:40 AM.