Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Faction Creator

Default Custom Faction Creator

Using the program nanDECK by Andrea Nini, I created a Summoner Wars template for any PC user to make their own factions.

To easily create your own Summoner Wars custom factions like the below, download everything you need from my zip file here and follow the included instructions.

The images below are very lo-res for display purposes, but the final product isn't. Check out my complete "dummy" deck in lo-res (15 MB) or in high-res (50 MB).

Special thanks to GeneralRolando for altering my backgrounds and various images, making it look much sharper!

Once you become familiar with the tool, you can create your own faction in 30-60 minutes, with most of that time used to find images.

Feedback and links to your creations are welcome.

To Mac users, it may be possible to make nanDECK work on your machine. See this link here by nanDECK's creator.

I posted this later in the thread, but worth putting here in the first post...

UPDATE: Thanks to Miraxtez, you can now use different colors! He's created colors schemes for...

Black
    Blue
    Green
    Orange
    Pink
    Red
    White
    Yellow

This includes borders, life points, and more. I've tried them all and they look great!

To use them, download the zip file here, unzip it, and put all the folders into your "SW Defaults\Cards" folder alongside the default "Purple" folder. Then in any project, change the [FACTION_COLOR] to the matching folder name, and that's it!

Below is an example (lo-res for posting purposes) using Black...

Again, special thanks to Miraxtez!
    Last edited by JYoder; 12-31-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Color Schemes

Thanks to Miraxtez, we now have multiple colors besides "Purple."

To anyone with advanced graphic skills (in GIMP or otherwise) you can make a copy of the "Purple" folder, rename it to your own color scheme, and alter/create PNG files with the same names and transparency settings.

If you do, please share them and I'll post a link here for others to download into their own "Cards" folder and start changing their [FACTION_COLOR] setting to match your color scheme.

Basic Border Colors

Alternatively, you can use the ugly [FACTION_BORDER_COLOR] value in the "Advanced Settings" area for prototype cards to save on printer ink.
    Last edited by JYoder; 02-28-2014 at 11:39 AM.

For any who want to see the instruction before downloading my tool (or can't open the Word doc) here are the instructions contained in my download, complete with images...

After unzipping the zip file to a folder, you'll see these files.

The "SW Template" and "SW Defaults" folder are Master Copies. Do not change them. To start your own deck, make a copy of the "SW Template" folder and rename it to your summoner or faction. The example below shows a newly created custom deck...

Now open your custom deck folder, such as "Ice Giants", and you'll see these files...

The text file "SW Template.txt" is where the magic happens. Rename it to your faction or summoner, such as "Ice Giants.txt". You will change this file with nanDECK, and later put your own images in this folder.

Go back up 1 folder level. Run the nanDECK.exe program. By default, it loads the last file opened, so to be safe, click the "Open deck" button in the upper left, browse to your deck (such as "Ice Giants.txt") and select it. This shows the text file's contents.

To see how nanDECK works (with the dummy deck I created) you can now instantly create a deck of cards! To do so, click these two buttons near the upper left corner, one after the other...

"Validate deck" (makes sure the file has no errors and all expected images are present)
    "Build deck" (will be enabled if "Validate deck" had no errors)

You just created a SW deck! Preview your cards with buttons on the right, as shown below. Use the arrows to navigate through your cards. To get magnified images, click the "Card preview" button and navigate in the pop-up that appears.

Now time to change the file to make your deck. In the file now open in nanDECK, there are notes on what to change. At first you'll see optional general settings. (Feel free to change any now, then click the "Validate" and "Build" buttons to see how it alters your cards.)

A couple of examples are shown below. When changing such values, only change the text after the equal sign. (These settings have extra notes in the text file to describe their usage.)

To create your cards, scroll down a bit further to change unit names, stats, and abilities for your Summoner, Champions, Commons, and Events.

After you change any unit name, if you try to create your deck (via Validate / Build) you'll get errors at the bottom until you put images in your folder that match their names. Ex: You name a champion "Frosty the Snowman", so you must put in your folder a file named "Frosty the Snowman.jpg". Same for commons.

It's the same for your summoner, with one extra condition. Along with the image matching the name, you must also supply a [Summoner]Face.jpg file for the event cards. Ex: Your summoner's name is "Yeti Knight", so you need 2 image files in your folder: "Yeti Knight.jpg" and "Yeti KnightFace.jpg"

Over time, your folder will look similar to the below. (Yellow highlights are new files you add, and red slashes are default images you may delete as you no longer need them.)

It's recommended you change 1 unit at a time, putting a new image in your folder, then run Validate and Build to make sure it works as you go. Click the "Save" button in the lower left often.

At any point, you can create your cards. You have 2 options: Physical copies and digital copies.

To create physical copies, after you've done a Validate / Build, click the PDF button as shown below...

It will prompt you for a location and name. (Recommended you choose your deck's folder and use an appropriate name such as "Ice Giants.PDF".) After clicking "Save", it will generate a PDF and open it. You may then print it (preferably with thicker stock paper) and cut them out.

If you instead want individual image files for each card, create a subfolder in your deck folder (such as "Cards"), and click the "Save images" button. Set the folder to your new folder, change any relevant settings, and click "Save". Browse to the folder to see your cards.

That's it!

Notes on character images...

1) Use jpg images. Backgrounds behind your characters are fine.

2) My tool forces character images into (roughly) an area 150 wide by 200 high, in pixels. The closer you are to that ratio, the better they'll look. Image size makes no difference to size of final result.

TIP: For generic images, use Google by searching for your word(s), such as Manticore, click the "Images" link at top, and you get tons of choices. Click the one you want to magnify, right click on it, choose "Save image as...", and give it the name you want.

Faction Symbol (advanced): If you can find/create a BMP file, you can replace the FactionSymbol.BMP file in your deck folder. Within your file, the upper left pixel's color will be the "transparent" image.

Card Color Schemes (very advanced): In the "SW Defaults" folder is a "Cards" folder, and within there is a "Purple" folder. This is the only color scheme my tool has. (Thanks to GeneralRolando for making it!) If you are a graphics user and want to make your own for anyone to use, please see the previous post.
    Last edited by JYoder; 09-04-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Reserved for possible extra info

Wow, what an awesome tool. Great work!

Now all we need is a way to upload them to VASSAL so we can find out how awesome/broken our customs are.
    I was Violet in CoRT XI: The Admiral's an Idiot
    I was Kadara in CoRT XII: Operation GoldenEye

vita's Custom 'Advanced Set'

You know you can print out the cards, right? Use the highest quality settings, thick photo paper and maybe the laminator on final drafts to make your cards real. Or, on a rough draft, you can use cheap photo paper or regular paper.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Unfortunately, I moved away from my gaming group so have nobody to play with but myself.
    I was Violet in CoRT XI: The Admiral's an Idiot
    I was Kadara in CoRT XII: Operation GoldenEye

vita's Custom 'Advanced Set'

Love the dummy faction JY.
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

Also, QUESTION- Are the cards the correct size in the PDF? If so, would you potentially later think about making a faction for me on Nan-deck?
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

If you have windows, you can do it yourslelf. I tried the prototype, it was amazing. This oughta be better. If you don't have windows, and if JYoder can't do it, I could. You'd have to provide me with images, though.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast