Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Batlles chit-chat

talk about luck.
    I really did roll 2 consecutive 0 damage with Blagog the previous game against a different player (which has 1/1024 chances of happening), and had Baldar killed by an intact Ragnor in 2 turns. In this game i also activated Wild Swing with Krung to attack 2 spearmans... and roll 3 misses.

I was at the Buckeye Game Fest on Thursday and was able t find someone interested in learning the game. We ended up having three matches.

Fallen Kingdom (me) vs Phoenix Elves (Dan)

This was the teaching game, so I took me least favorite faction, the FK, and gave him the Elves so he would be less likely to be screwed by the dice. We were fairly evenly matched in the early game but he was too aggressive with Prince Elien. Elut-Bal was Forced Summon and walked up to Elien to smack him for two damage. Elien retreated and used Fire Blast on Elut-Bal, but then he made his second, and fatal mistake by not using Blaze Step to block Elut-Bal's path to Elien with a Warrior. I used Dark Sacrifice to heal Elut-Bal (just in case) and then promptly killed his summoner.

Tundra Orcs (me) vs Guild Dwarves (Dan)

This game was very close. I did well early in the game when a Shaman gave two wounds to an overconfident Oldin. After that however my offensive was shut down by a small army of Defenders locking down all my commons. He was then able to penetrate my lines with Baldar, who wounded my overconfident Grognack. I froze Baldar but stupidly didn't retreat with Grognack, foolishly hoping he wouldn't pay off the Freeze. He did, and Shield Block turned aside my mighty attack. Baldar wounded Grognack again. This time I summoned a Smasher who was able to block Baldar after I maneuvered, and wound him twice to boot. Baldar could neither get around the Smasher or kill it, and on my next turn the Smasher rolled well again and finally took Baldar out.

Unfortunately for me, the area of the board that Grognack had retreated to was bare of defenses. Dan summoned a Defender, gave him Heroic Feat, walked up and smacked Grognack for two more wounds. I was in trouble. I couldn't retreat because of Engage, I had no Walls in hand, and he had the magic to pay off Freeze if I tried it. I had all three Champions in my hand and couldn't afford any of them, but I was too greedy to build any of them for magic. All I could do was kill the Defender with Grognack and hope for the best. I didn't get it. Another Defender was summoned, wounded Grognack, and locked him down. I was able to kill that one two, and finally caved and built Blagog for magic, but I was still badly positioned and Grognack was down to his last bit of life. Lucky for me the best he could field was an Engineer, and he missed. I was finally able to retreat and cover Grognack with a fresh common and summoned Krung to boot.

Krung was able to provide the muscle to break the deadlock on the left side of the board. Dan tried one last push, summoning Thorkur, to try to take out Grognack, but I summoned Ragnor to cut him off and a Freeze negated the last of Dan's magic supply, and Thorkur fell. I now had total control of the board and Dan was decked, so he conceded the game.

Cave Goblin (me) vs Vanguards (Dan)

The last time I played this matchup I got stomped into the dirt, so I wasn't too sure how this would play out. I decided to play a very conservative game, in the sense that I would never build magic and only brought out commons to keep pace with his own summons. I basically stuck to that, only building one card for magic the entire game and otherwise running entirely on kills. It worked beautify, completely shutting out Summoning Surge. Dan's offensive strategy revolved around building up an attack squad of Stalwart Archers, a tactic that ruined me last time I faced it. This time though I knew what my ace card was: The Eater. I was able to feed it entirely on his commons until a Priest with Holy Judgment was finally able to knock it out, but by that point The Eater had taken out something like five of his commons. Most of those were Knights which would otherwise have protected Sera from a Fighter I had next to her, and Dan's summoner had slowly but steadily been taking wounds. Steady pressure from my commons with event support had also taken out his Archer squad, and when I summoned Blarf he conceded as he was decked with no magic and I had something like half my deck left and Sneeks was not even hurt.

So far i have played 6 games with the new decks. Good old Vanguards are on a perfect 0-6, 4 losses against FK and 2 against the Goblins.

First game VK vs FK had some highlights. I kept in my hand throughout the whole game a Dark Sacrifice to heal my mighty champions, just to always have them always 1 turn-kill thanks to freaking Holy Judgment. But it was useful later to return a wounded 3-AttackValue-worth Reaper to my magic pile. Kalon was remembered as the plague bringer, since his death meant the first raised zombie... until there were no more zombies left in my discard pile! The endgame was funny since there were only priest for the VK who kept healing themselves while the zombies kept on trying to get more converts, but the undead horde was too much for them to handle in the end.

Another game (3rd i think) had the nice Summoning Surge-Wall-Archangel combo to hit a wounded Ret (Forced Summoned Elut Bal). Legions of the Dead made sure Ret would live some more turns in combination with Raise the Dead, since the HolyAvenger was relentlessly going after Ret. Elut hit the Archangel hard, but Sera Interceded to leave him intact.
    The angelical attack had made another Forced Summon impossible but Dark Sacrifice brought the magic needed to get Skhull on the field. Feeling proud for their past successes 2 Priest go on to Judge our equine champion... but they both flee in Fear. Now, this was a brutal turnaround, 4 magic, 2 commons and 1 powerful event down the drain for no cost to the undead.
    Eventually the Archangel had to retreat to be healed but was always a threat to Ret who had to keep some bodyguards at all time shutting down lots of good moves for the FK. Summoned and destroyed champions later and both Summoner down to 2 life, the game came down to Zombies and Reapers (and a sneaky Skeleton) trying to press on Sera while protecting Ret at the same time, to have a Summoning Surge bring 2 Stalwart Archers. Vanguard played conservatively allowing the FK to put some buffer for pumped Reapers and getting ahead in the hits trade positionally where Ret finally ended with the youngling witch.
    This was the closest game the Vanguards were from winning, which was really close, decided by roll dice in the late game.

Another game (4th i think) had Dragos as MVP, being forced summoned in turn 1, getting repeatedly hit and finishing the game unscathed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123