Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aid and Major Heal

Default First Aid and Major Heal

We have been using Tilda so much in our games. She is my favorite and also my daughter's favorite. Her healing abilities make her an essential member of every party... Or does it?

I remember back when we were testing Sorrow and Remembrance. I wanted the players to feel as though they could create a party out of any 4 of the mice, so I made First Aid usable by all mice, and just made it cheaper for healers. But, in the end everyone always chooses to give it to Tilda. This is how it is in our current campaign with Tilda having both First Aid and Major Heal.

Back in those days we would give First Aid to Nez or Maginos because of their cheese potential. Both of these mice proved to be quite good at healing, and Nez could go full force because he could heal himself.

Today, we were playtesting Downwood Tales and my daughter had Tilda. She was invaluable with Major Heal. The flexibility of it was just exactly what we needed, and First Aid barely got any use. What a waste. We could have given that ability to another mouse and possibly had double healing.

So my question for all of you is: Do you always give the First Aid ability to Tilda, or are you more clever than my household and give it to another hero keeping Major Heal and Cure for Tilda?
    Last edited by Grungebob; 08-12-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Wanted to mention that I posted this on BGG as well
    Always the Mice Guy!

I always prefer to leave first aid available so any mouse can level up for it in a desperate situation. Otherwise we find ourselves trapped taking the same healer mice through the entire story. If i had to pick a mouse who first aid is best for i would have to say nez due to the fact nez seems to be least likely to need to use an ability on his turn because he is so powerful with his starting weapon.

We ended up giving First Aid to Lily. She had pretty high cheese potential in our campaign, and was the most flexible about moving around the board. Played with some friends redoing chapter 1, and we didn't have a healer at all and just crushed all the enemies. I think this would be a highly possible way to make it through the campaign as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
    Back in those days we would give First Aid to Nez or Maginos because of their cheese potential. Both of these mice proved to be quite good at healing, and Nez could go full force because he could heal himself.
    We went ahead and switched First Aid over to Nez before starting Heart of Glorm this weekend based on this. Battles felt a lot less close then they did before and Nez was able to keep himself and Filch in the front lines rather well. Filch would help harvest the cheese and Tilda's Major Heal was almost not even needed thanks to this and Nere's ability and Ginger Root Wand combo.

BTBAM is offline Loves the cheese. And vlogging! Geek Swagger extraordinaire. Record holder for most User titles.

I rarely ever give First Aid to Tilda. It is always an ability for another mouse. Tilda is normally with Major Heal or the one that does poison wounds/effect markers.
    A Doug's Guide To Summoner Wars - Fan Podcast

LATEST PODCASTS 01-17-2014
    Episode 16 - Phoenix Elves - Prince Elien Base Deck
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp16.mp3
    Episode 17 - Phoenix Elves - Queen Maldaria Base Deck
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp17.mp3
    Episode 18 - Phoenix Elves - Reinforcements & Deck Building
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/adougsguide/ADGEp18.mp3
    Subscribe on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...rs/id595149788

I like to keep some damage on Nez and Collin so Tilda can be up front swinging with her bonus. So lately I stick with Major heal to keep those two hurt but alive.
    I'm Wininoid on the Summoner Wars app and @wininoid on twitter.

I usually give it to Tilda and keep her in the party always.

I am now trying it with Nez for a new campaign because noone in the group wanted to be Tilda. I chose to give it to Nez (I chose everyone's first ability) because I find I don't use his abilities hardly ever.

I wish I could say it worked out well, but in hindsight I can't remember if I told him to spend one or two cheese each time. i suspect I said one out of habit, and the Nez player in this group never reads his own cards. I think it would have worked out well even if we had needed to pay one extra, Filch just wouldhave had to share instead of leveling up.

I am going to try this more often.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

I'll have to try it with Nez sometime. I usually give him battlesqueak (iirc - the one with 1 cheese for +1 attack). I like to be able to roll 5 dice when a high def minion appears.
    I'm Wininoid on the Summoner Wars app and @wininoid on twitter.

Battle Squeak is my usual choice, though in my last campaign we found it jinxed Nez's rolls and I am now superstitious about it.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

I like giving First Aid to Tilda for a couple of reasons. The first is that because she is a healer it turns the ability into a 1 cheese to heal 1 wound ability. If you only have 1 cheese, you can't do a Major Heal.

In the Base game, the ability cards fall as follows:

28 Ability Cards
    -----------------
    1 Any
    1 Tinkerer
    3 Leader
    5 Warrior
    4 Scamp
    4 Archer
    4 Mystic
    3 Healer
    1 Scamp / Archer
    1 Warrior / Tinkerer / Healer
    1 Maginos Only

With the multi-class abilities, there will be overlap, so by Character:
    10 Collin
    8 Nez
    6 Filch
    6 Maginos
    6 Lily
    5 Tilda

So Tilda has the fewest abilities to choose from and if you give away 1, she only ever has the chance for 4 total.

Also, does anyone ever give Thundersqueak to Tilda? We're down to 3 now:
    - Major Heal (cost:2, heal 2 reg wounds, same space/adj)
    - Cure (cost:X, remove X poison or effects, same space
    - Fortify (cost:2, +1 def, all mouse on tile)

So your healer needs 2 cheese at all times in order to heal 2 regular wounds, and whatever other char is stuck with first aid is burning 2 cheese for 1 wound? Cheese that should be used for offense or leveling up? Or just given to Tilda to heal 1/1? No thanks.

This means in order to have Tilda be effective you have to wait until 2 chars are on the same space with 1 wound each or 1 char has 2, but not 3 wounds and is on the same space. Seems risky. Most people would probably use 2 cheese from Tilda and just say, "Oh well" to the wasted 1 cheese to Major Heal only 1 wound rather than risk char capture if they receive 2 wounds next time.
    Last edited by Sydcomebak; 06-04-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast