Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendation: Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim?

Question Need Recommendation: Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim?

I've not played an RPG for years due to lack of time, and I'm thinking of trying one again as I've had an itch lately. I've heard these are the best.

Obviously, Skyrim has the best graphics in the series since it's the latest, but I primarily care about game play and immersion. Any recommendations which is best in that regard?
    Only send a friendly invite (JYoder77) if you don't play PE, TO, GD, BD, no Rallul units outside of Rallul, and no Etch or Rune Mages (even in Rallul).
    My Custom Faction Creator tool. Contains demo images to show what you can create.
    Why Sunderved cries himself to sleep at night.

Morrowind has the more interesting setting, but Skyrim is the prettiest and has the smoothest gameplay. They're different enough that it depends on whether you're the type who doesn't mind puzzling through older games' eccentricities or if you'd rather just relax and enjoy the ride.

Personally, I'd say Skyrim, and then if you enjoy it give Morrowind a try some other time.

Oh, Oblivion was an option? Personally, I'd say skip it. It had neither an interesting setting nor particularly appealing gameplay.

Skyrim will not let you down. I'm too young to know anything about Morrowind, and Oblivion wasn't as amazing as Skyrim.
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

If you have not played Morrowind yet and are ok with a world that doesn't give you a whole lot of direction (in a good way) and don't mind bad graphics. Because after you play Skyrim, I don't think Morrowind holds up too well. Not just because of graphics but other things they've done with gameplay etc.
    2012: ORIGINAL 2013: SUMMER FALL
    2014: WINTER SPRING SUMMER FALL
    2015: WINTER SPRING SUMMER

Official Dallas Time (ODT): The newer new time standard of Summoner Wars... aka Central

Good thoughts, everyone. Thanks!

Surprised by the lack of love for Oblivion. Not because I know anything, but only because on Gamespot, it got the highest rating from both critics and users.
    Only send a friendly invite (JYoder77) if you don't play PE, TO, GD, BD, no Rallul units outside of Rallul, and no Etch or Rune Mages (even in Rallul).
    My Custom Faction Creator tool. Contains demo images to show what you can create.

Quote Originally Posted by JYoder View Post
    Good thoughts, everyone. Thanks!

Surprised by the lack of love for Oblivion. Not because I know anything, but only because on Gamespot, it got the highest rating from both critics and users.
    Oblivion was good and all but pales to Skyrim in gameplay and Morrowind in story quite a bit. After a while, it's gets REALLY old going through those oblivion portals and trekking around on the same lava wasteland and then up the same dark black towers... Yawn. But don't get me wrong, I still loved the game. It's just now that Skyrim has came out, it's not necessary to play Oblivion anymore (except maybe to understand all the references in Skyrim about what happened back then; 200 years before).

I would also recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas if you want more of a post-apocalyptic feel rather than a fastasy one. And may I highly recommend hardcore mode on New Vegas. It's crazy how much more immersion there is when you actually have to eat, drink water, and sleep like you do in that mode. And if you don't want it to be hard, just turn it down to very easy and keep hardcore on for the immersion factor.

Hmmm, I kind I want to play Morrowind AND New Vegas again now... Luckily I rarely sell off any of my games
    2012: ORIGINAL 2013: SUMMER FALL
    2014: WINTER SPRING SUMMER FALL
    2015: WINTER SPRING SUMMER

Official Dallas Time (ODT): The newer new time standard of Summoner Wars... aka Central

Yeah, New Vegas is my favorite as well, and if you want an RPG but don't insist on a fantasy setting, I'd recommend that quite strongly (and it's like six bucks on the Steam summer sale right now!). If you ever played the original Fallout games, New Vegas is the one that actually continues on the story of what happened to the wasteland. I hate FO3 though, as it's the theme-park version of Fallout and although it can be fun to explore, its story is pretty dumb and has nothing to do with the other FOs.

Well, I went with Morrowind, buying and downloading the Game of Year edition from Steam.

Now... how to find the time to actually play it. Thanks so much for the input everyone!

I liked Fallout 3, but I absolutely couldnt get into new Vegas. I havent played any of the Elder Scrolls, but I just dont enjoy the Bethesda RPG formula that much. If you want a different sort of RPG, both the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series are pretty awesome IMO. They are not as open world as Elder Scrolls, but they have their own merits imo. Dragon Age Origins (the first one) was my favorite overall, but Mass Effect is the stronger series.

edit: Btw your work on those two custom factions were a-frikkin-mazing. Very professional
    Last edited by sitnam90; 07-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.

So... now that I've had Morrowind for over a week, anyone know where I can get a good deal on buying time to actually play it?

I couldn't find anything on Amazon or ebay, so I'll take suggestions, since so far, I've only been able to skim through the manual.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast