Thread: Smoke Bomb Questions

Default Smoke Bomb Questions

Smoke bomb states "Play this card when you would be involved in a battle, even if it isn't your turn. Move all the figures you control on the contested space..." I have a couple of questions about when you can play this card and the effect it has.

1) If my opponent moves figures onto multiple spaces that have my figures on them, so more than one space is contested, do I move my figures from all of the contested spaces or just from one contested space, or do I choose?

2) If multiple figures are on the same contested space so more than one battle occurs, can I play this after the first battle but before the second battle? Or does this have to be before battle is first initiated on the contested space?

Hey Deuce, good questions huh...
    The Official Errata (or maybe it was someone's question in the Forums) has clarified the rules to contesting more than one space per action. The rule is that no one may contest more than one space per action (or per "turn" if it's easier to understand that way).
    I found this a bit strange as you can still resolve battles. The Yugai can still attack more than one of your squares and if you need to, you can even implement rules about "supporting" figures not being able to "support" when they're engaged in battles of their own (this was my alternate rule posted in my thread a while back).
    So, officially, no multiple battles per action meaning you are intended to use your Smoke Bomb on only one square at a time. Now, unofficially, if that scenario were to happen, I would say you could only use one Smoke Bomb per square (I mean how could a single Smoke Bomb obscure two whole city blocks, especially if they weren't next to each other eh...)
    I suppose if you had two Smoke Bomb cards in your hand, then you could use both to make two squares poof (and three for three if possible).
    As to your second question, interesting, I don't think this one has ever been asked. I suppose there would be an opportunity to use it "mid battle". I don't see any reason why you'd be prevented and it does seem "realistic" enough huh.
    Good stuff man and fight the Yugai people..!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    1) If my opponent moves figures onto multiple spaces that have my figures on them, so more than one space is contested, do I move my figures from all of the contested spaces or just from one contested space, or do I choose?
    Page 13 of the rulebook (left hand side) says that this will never happen since you can't have more than one contested space per move action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    2) If multiple figures are on the same contested space so more than one battle occurs, can I play this after the first battle but before the second battle? Or does this have to be before battle is first initiated on the contested space?
    It's a new battle, so I think yes. You can use your smoke bomb in-between battles.

I like "cheating the system" of having to conserve cards in 2 figure battles by going all in on them in the first battle and smoke bombing away in the second. One of the best cards in the game, really helps avoiding a late game giant red deathball.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)