Thread: 2 player balances

Default 2 player balances

When playing the 2 player version of City of Remnants me and my girlfriend encountered of few issues with momentum. Seeing as how there is no 3rd or 4th player to harass the leading player we found that the core rules were being a bit to harsh on the loser of any given fight. Also we found that in a 2 player game the map was so large that it really encouraged turtling as the most effective strategy. Below are a few rules that attempt to fix these issues.

no adjacent buildings
    normal adjacency rules for the game apply when determining what is and is not adjacent. The purpose for this rule is to spread us out and really encourage us to get out there and fight.

remove rows A and G
    Just treat these rows as if they are no longer a part of the board in a 2 player game. If the Yugai try to land in any space on row A or G just treat it as nothing happens for that location making it one less cop to deal with, lucky you . This again shrinks the board to encourage the 2 players to get near one another.

modify remove card from the game combat rule
    Whenever a player loses a combat and is instructed by the game rules to select a gang member to remove from the game as a result of that battle you are to instead place that card face down at the bottom of your discard pile and turned to the side, forming what will be referred to as the injured pile.

If you ever remove a card from the game for any other reason you still should do so.(ex. Windfall-remove this card from the game to gain 1,000 ARCS for each development you control.) In this example you will remove the card from the game since it is not a part of the battle action.

But in the case of Ret Onshadow's ability (Second Chances-battle: If you win this battle, you may take the gang member card your opponent removes from the game as a result of this battle, place it on the top of your discard pile and add a figure to your gang member pool) he would still take your card seeing as how it is a part of the battle that just took place.

Also when you finally shuffle your discard pile back into your deck you do not include the injured pile, leaving it untouched. The injured pile may only become useable through a new action we crated called the Revive Action.

Revive Action
    Take all the cards from the injured pile and turn them face up and add them to the top of your discard pile. In this way they are now treated as normal cards in your discard pile. Also count the number of cards revived this way and divide them by 2 rounding down. Add that many gang members to your gang member pool.

ex. Tom has 3 cards in his discard pile and 5 cards in his injured pile. Tom chooses to use his Revive Action to take the 5 cards from his injured pile and adds them face up to the top of his discard pile bringing the total number of cards in his discard pile to 8. He then counts the number of revived cards and divides that number by 2 rounding down. Since he revived 5 cards Tom divides 5 by 2 giving him 2.5 and rounds down to 2. Tom then adds 2 members to his gang member pool which concludes the revive action.

This rule was created to make losing fights less devastating while making it much easier to start new ones. It helps eliminate most of the momentum gained from winning a fight and makes the game much closer.

So there you have it. I hope you guys like it. We find that these rules really make the game more fun for 2 people and encourage you to get out there and beat up your opponent for those precious spaces filled with renown. Thanks to Plaid Hat for making this game and thanks for reading.

Hey awesome ideas Brasca..!
    I really liked the idea of eliminating rows A and G. That's pretty simple and really makes your phone booth even smaller.
    The majority of the games I've played have been two player and I agree with your findings, especially the momentum part. When I play and my opponent is turtling, I know I have to raise a fairly large army and I have to win the first battle, otherwise it's a very large uphill climb up a very steep mountain...
    I find that this building of my army, traveling across the City and first assault, to become very anticipation-building. I mean, this really is "it". My homies have grown enough (hopefully), they've trained all they can, gathered their strongest Advanced Weapons and they're about to charge through a human blender that we haphazardly label a Stronghold...
    And the moment of truth is when those dice are held, shaken and dropped in slow motion. Like really, I can feel every drop of sweat on my body, my heart pushes pause for a bit and my breathing stops.
    And when those dice fail me, well I know I gave it my best shot but it just wasn't enough. I usually concede at this point and ask if we can play again.
    But when those dice land just perfectly, my excitement peaks, I stand from my chair with one fist raised and pointed at the clouds and I know, that I actually have a chance again, that I'm still "in" the game. And it's this moment that I live for you know. Like you'll get no better rush (maybe from skydiving) and the reward, I don't know, it's magical. It makes my sense of accomplishment seem grand, almost like I've snorted a whole wheelbarrow full of Star Dust (don't really do this friends).

So I want to applaud your inventiveness. I want to say thanks for posting and sharing and not being afraid of the criticisms we all have (and need to share). People like you improve the game and that's priceless (no sarcasm here Brasca). The whole Revive action is totally sweet.
    But for me, well I can't give up the Star Dust just yet know what I mean.
    Fight the Yugai people..!

lol Bishop, you are awesome!!! Best reply ever!!!!

Though I do have one question. Did you win?

/seriousface - I've never actually won a game like the one you so wonderfully recreated for me? In my experience it still put me behind even when I won the fight seeing as how at the very least I would need to take one more move action than my girlfriend to sustain a fight on that side of the board. Making it not a matter of if but when she pushed me off. Also, the only reason I stretched across the board like that in the first place was because I was losing the renown race and each time I was forced off I found that I have either not accumulated enough of a lead or all I did was simply close the gap only to watch it climb away again.

But either way thank you ssssooooooo much for reading. The way you use your words had me laughing even in the face of you describing a gaming situation that has truly frustrated me. We're talking flip table status. That my friend is a gift.

So again, thank you reading and thanks for the feedback.

Hey thanks whole bunches man..!
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm just making people upset with my strange version of humor and my careless drug references. Other times (like when you tell me) I think yeah, I might have some magic up my sleeves after all so again, honest thanks huh.

To answer your question, well I have won, once or twice. It's important to note that I usually play this game with my ten year old son and we have slowly perfected our tactics and "learned" through a lot of trial and error. Usually, it's me trying something new and him sticking to a strategy that I've already mastered so yeah, he usually beats me and he's usually ahead through the whole war.
    So we may have played a solid thirty games in the past couple of months, and he beats me around seventy five percent of the time but this is because I like to experiment. I put up a fairly decent fight and I try new things, not being afraid to lose for my curiosity.

Now when I do win, it's monumental. It's the cherry on top, it's the heavyweight championship belt around my waist and it's bragging rights until I play again (and lose). The couple of times when it was ultra close and I pulled it out of my mystery spot, well those moments carve my face in a granite mountain and the memory never fades you know. All I have to do is say hey, remember when my Ret Onshadow stole your only War Drone..? And bam, the memory floods back and we can remember every detail after "the event".

It's important to realize that this is not a little kids game. If you're not a "good loser", City of Remnants is definitely not for you. All it takes is one table flip and you soon have no one to play with eh.
    If you're not going into it expecting to scratch and claw and bleed and cry your way to a "possible" victory, maybe you should go play some Connect Four or Rock em Sock em Robots.
    Seriously, this game is like getting into a bar fight with Brock Lesner when you've had four beers and all of your friends have left the bar already.
    Also, your opponent probably really enjoys winning a lot huh. I know whenever I mention playing another round of City, my son drops his video game controller and starts clearing the table. So if nothing else, think of it like you're giving them a really cool gift (then if they complain when you win and start dancing, you can say hey, I "let" you win like twelve times, it's my turn and don't get in the way of my dancing and head banging...)

Don't get discouraged..! There are ways around every scenario and I'm about to start working on a new thread called How to Counter-Turtle (or something), check back in a bit.
    Fight the Yugai..!

That's awesome. Definitely looking forward to that thread. Thanks again for the feedback.

Really, you guys have turtling problems in 2p? I have the exact opposte problem - We spam rush eachother until the other player is dead! With no other players to punish the rusher for leaving his base, its pretty hard to come back. We've fixed by now, by simply being good defenders but keeping the momentum going in this game is crucial. You have to keep your opponent on his toes and off balance.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)