Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gang Strengths and Weaknesses... or lack thereof...

Interesting...
    So Green opponent equals rush hard and fast and don't look back. And don't apologize when the game ends in the second round eh...
    I see this tactic working but maybe I just suck when it comes to dice luck. For some reason I almost never win the first player token in the beginning. I also tend to lose at battles if it's "close".
    I'll have to try this though, as I can see it being quick and (mostly) painless if it doesn't work.
    I wonder how it plays out in a three or four player game though. Does everybody sit back and wait to see who's gonna take care of Green..?
    Thanks Joseph!

I had a hilarious game the other night where we pissed off me green main friend sooooo bad. He had won the last 3 games, in large part due to the fact that we didn't attack him all that much because we were much more concerened by blue tech spams and red/yellow army builds. Big mistake. Well anyway, we all bum rushed him, and strongholds were in play....by the middle of the third round his spawn point was surrounded by some strongholds, one controlled by each of us! He didn't get out for a loooonnnggggg time. Back on topic, remember, green is all about intimidating once you reach combat. Is he gonna play jara with 3x bodyguards? How about those mercs who can get 5 or 6? In all truth, they can scrape together one or two big attacks - then they are done. Just steamroll em till they take a refresh or the round ends.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Okay so I asked the Rook if he wants to play another round of the City and he says oh heck yeah!
    I say he can pick first and he asks if Green is available (he knows I've been rather unhappy at getting beat by the same gang in the same fashion over and over). Green's still his favorite and I say okay.
    I can't help but give away a sense that I have a new trick to fighting Green so the Rook becomes a bit skeptical (and cautious) as we began.
    As usual, a two player game, he's got Green and I went with Red again (I know, the same old same old...)

We arrange our figures, shuffle the decks and lay out the first batch of Black Markets and recruitables. There's a Smoke Bomb, two Broadcast Equipments and an Energy Pills. Also two Thieves, a Trader and Mr Odin Kester.
    The initiative is dropped and it's Green's, as usual.
    For his one, the Rook is hungrily looking at Mr Kester and I think it's too tempting to turn down. He's also considering the early rush to the center City space, the Stronghold is available...
    He finally announces that he will bid two ARCs on the Kester ensuring that I can't outbid him (he apparently doesn't have his Jara to gain some funds or, if he does, he's saving him for the time being...)
    Had I an action before him and played any of my Mysterious Benefactors, I might've had the upper gang hand in the money department, but no, the luck is not mine (yet).
    He also keeps Mr Kester in his hand for the time being. Maybe he'll lay him next to his player mat at "some" point before the end of the round so he can do his Smart Money thing. We'll see...
    For my first action, I've got two Benefactors and I'll play 'em both. The first, my "Yellow" I'll toss permanently for the five ARCs and the second, my "Green" for the one giving me a healthy eight to start off with (nice). The Rook's nodding like he knew I was going to take his Odin if he "let" me.
    I'll then take a Move action and send four of my homies out into the sprawl advancing as close to the center as I can. I was thinking about purchasing the Energy Pills but if I spend one action buying them and one action moving with them, I'd still be just as far as if I simply took two Move actions (one space less actually).

01.jpg

For Green's two, he'll take a Move and apparently, with his Kester boy's strength of four, the Rook's not afraid of some confrontation. He moves four of his figures towards mine.

02.jpg

It's my two and I'll take Joseph's advice and attack!
    I take another Move action and I've got two of my figures supporting the fight at City square C 4. Four figures against four, four dice each.

03.jpg

I'm the attacker so I'll lay two from my hand and two from my deck. I was lucky enough to draw my Garius so I knew he'll be out there in the front row, bashin' heads. I also have two Scrappers and a Scout giving me a preroll strength of twelve (not bad).
    Green will lay three of his cards all from his hand and none from his deck. I'm guessing that he doesn't want to accidentally draw his Jara and commit him when he's got no Bodyguards present. As he reveals his, I see that he has his Odin Kester and two Mercenaries. Rolling for their strength, the Rook produces a one and a two, talk about some bad rolling! His Mercs must not be real dedicated to this fight and I'm thanking the Gatorum gods for his bad luck. His preroll strength is a seven.
    I'll roll first and I manage a five (yeah, that's my usual poopy luck, one away from the Influence increase). The Rook doesn't do much better totaling a five as well (wow there must be something on the table tonight...)
    Green loses a figure and I'm starting to think that Joseph was right, I can take him and win the War in a second action fight. The Rook tosses one of his disappointing Mercs to the grave with a frown and it's the second phase of the battle.
    Because I won that battle, my two Scrappers will return to my hand to be used in the second phase and I'll lay them, plus two blindly from my deck. I've got a Benefactor which is trash and a Scout for a total of five, preroll.
    Green drops two from his hand and two from his deck probably hoping that his Jara is in this batch. When he reveals, he's got his two Bodyguards (from his hand) and no Jara, his third Mercenary and a Steal so bad luck befalls the Rook again (woopt!)
    He rolls for his Merc and again, throws a two for a strength of four, total.
    He's only got three dice this time and I've got four still so one fist in the air for the Bishop. My dice result is a six (plus my five for eleven). My son rolls a five (plus his four for nine) so two fists in the air as Green throws a Bodyguard to the graveyard (and now he's really scowling).

04.jpg

Action three for the Rook involves his forehead wrinkling up in a bunchy pattern. His deck is spent, lying there in his discard pile. He's lost two figures and two gangers quickly and he's nowhere close to claiming any Renown (his ultimate goal in round one). He also sees my deck and recalls what I've played as I'm reclaiming my Scrapper homies (who have all kinds of "experience" now, too bad they don't level like the good old Tagawa Samurai)...
    And I've got a four to two dice advantage should he want to counterattack. Third fist in the air! (Of course, should he take that path, he'd bring fresh boys from the sidelines in and it'd be a fair four against four. But I'm leaving that third fist in the air for right now, it deserves to be up there...)
    The Rook is forced to take a Refresh. If he Moved and counterattacked, he'd have no cards to lay, basically letting all four of his dice do the "work" and if his luck has become tainted somehow and he was forced to throw another ganger to it's afterlife...
    My third action and I've only got two cards left in my deck but I know one must be my other Scrapper. So even if he does have "decent" in his deck now, if I attack, it's still my four dice against his two and maybe my luck has finally rubbed off on him.
    I go for the kill and try to make Joseph proud with another Move and attack at the B 4.

05.jpg

I lay the two from my hand and blindly draw their long absent Iggy brother and my last Scout for a total of seven. Green lays three from his hand and one blindly meaning, he's not afraid to send "anyone" into the battle at this point. As he reveals, he shows his Jara, two Bodyguards and a Mercenary with a strength of freakin' none!
    I mean that's still a twelve, preroll and he's got me by a little. But a zero, for strength on his Mercenary, oh Gatorum gods, what wonderful fate you bring (and Joseph, you rock man)..!
    My four dice in hand and I'm doing my little "silent talk" to the black bullets. They splash across the table and I've got a pretty good seven. Plus my Scrapper trio for seven makes fourteen. And the Rook's showin' twelve...
    He rolls without delay and shows five making seventeen and he's actually upset about not getting the Influence increase. I mean five with two dice is pretty good eh..?
    But I'm thinkin' I'm lucky I'm okay, I only lost once and I've still got three dice to his two. Until I realize that my Scrapper homies are gone. That newest brother, he was the runt, the bad apple and he caused them all to die in discard pile land. Of course, I'll toss my Scout to the grave, he didn't do schtako...
    The second phase of the battle has me with no cards. And Green's still got "somethin" up his sleeve I'm sure. He lays four blindly from his deck. Two Steals but his Odin and a Mercenary which he somehow gets a four with this time.
    Giving him an eight. My three dice, I can't make an eight. I roll a seven...
    Red dies again and I have to look through my discard pile to find another Scout.

06.jpg

Well that stung a little. It's now two of his boys out there in the big bad City, against two of mine. And he's taking another Refresh action.
    Which means I did it. I mean, he's got no Renown right now (neither do I, I went right up the middle and I'm slightly on his side of the board). It only cost me two Scouts but I denied Green any Renown in the first round.
    Yes, it's honestly the first time it's happened. Before, he'd get lucky with the Yugai landing on him.
    It's my four and I quickly scan my options. I'm forced to take the Refresh myself. If the Yugai were to hit me, I can't afford to toss two more cards. After tossing one of my Benefactors and dying twice, I've got all of seven cards in my deck.
    He's calling out the digits and I'm laying Yugai tokens and none hit, either of us!

07.jpg

Oh how does it happen.?!
    No Renown for anybody and it's round two, neither of us needing the Reset phase because our decks are on a special diet of death right now...
    The first player token slides to me and I watch as two War Drones are revealed, a Thieves Tools and a Forbidden Knowledge. With them an Ex- Soldier, a Dealer, Informer boy and Mr Ryzin Haru, Blue's champion, and interesting... I wonder if I can grab both War Drones, ooh, that might help.
    Beginning monies are two ARCs each still, and it's all me first this time.
    I can't help but Buy the War Drone. I've gotta have one (if I can't have both) and I've got ten ARCs and another five when I drop my Benefactor "Blue" somewhere here shortly. If I'm thinkin' Joseph's strategy is going to work, I don't need to waste time with an economy or developments. I need killin' power and I need it ASAP!
    The Rook's first action of round two is a Move, flooding the City with four fresh bodies and attacking me on the C 4 giving him a four against my two dice advantage.

08.jpg

Now I considered taking the Move action instead of the Drone but I'd have to back up a square to even be able to be supported by the two that I'd bring in, my Influence is still only four. So my thoughts were, four dice with my Scrappers and the chance that I might loose again, or take the Drone and fight with two dice and "hopefully" a better chance at winning (also better in the long run to have the Drone maybe...)
    Green has to lay his cards first this time and he shows three from his hand and one from his deck, his Odin and two Mercenaries with a Steal he drew blindly. His Mercs determine their strength, a one and another two, and he's calling them all kinds of names and I have to remind him not to swear when his mother might hear.
    I've got four from my deck, but I'm savin' my new War Drone for the "surprise" ending. I got all three Scappers back and my Garius for a total of thirteen against his seven, preroll and I might just have the first phase too.
    His four dice and he gets a one! Oh the color of his face as he looked at those dice... Oh how priceless (pause for laughing...)
    I have to rise from my crouching position of praising the Gatorum gods once again and sayin' I'm not worthy and it takes a bit you know.
    He's just been rolling so awful tonight, it's unbelievable eh.
    My two dice aren't needed but I try for the Influence and I'm a bit short. Still, super fist pump on the luck tonight. I might suck once in a while but when the Rook's got it, hoo we...
    Green angrily throws another of his pitiful Mercenaries to the graveyard. He says he's not even going to compensate his family or pay to have his sword shipped home (a large disgrace to the Lentree). And I guess I don't blame him, that Merc continued to roll blanks after all.
    For phase two of our third battle, Green has to draw blindly from his deck and he pulls four, no fear of wasting Steal cards because he has no Renown for a change. His Jara, two Bodyguards and a Steal for twelve.
    I've got the three Scrappers I had in the first fight and my War Drone for a ten (if those Scrappers didn't arrive for almost every fight I've been in, I'd say Red was underpowered...)
    Green rolls a four and totals sixteen. I've only got two dice and I roll a four. Green wins and I loose a Scrapper, hopefully that lazy one, the little one.
    Phase three of the battle and Green has no cards left, I've got three but two are Benefactors. My last and only Scout. His three dice against my one.
    The Rook rolls a five and I get a big fat uno. I die again, loose my last Scout and all of my figures are gone from the City. Poof...

09.jpg

It's my second action of round two. I have no cards in my hand. No homies. Not much of, what the crap happened..!
    I have to take a Refresh in the hopes of getting back to my Benefactors. I need a little more cash to snag that second War Drone. Something I think I need, to replenish the recent deaths to my gang (four of 'em now).
    Green decides to take another Move action, advancing to the center Renown square and to the single at C 5. And, with no cards in his hand, he attempts to take down a Yugai at D 5. He's got three figures in support but still, if it's a big Yugai, he's gonna squirm (we play with the Yugai face down until they are "discovered", it adds an element of mystery huh).

10.jpg

When the token is flipped, it's a nine. I'm looking at his setup, four dice, a nine, and the way he's been rollin'... Oh Gatorum gods, now's another good time for a fist pumping eh...
    He rolls naked a six. Green dies and curses another Bodyguard. Luckily he only sent one figure to that Yugai square so it's my three all of the sudden.

11.jpg

I managed to draw my Mysterious Benefactor "Blue" after my Refresh last action so I'll toss that thing to the grave for the big five ARCs payout. This will give me more than enough to buy the second War Drone and it should be all I need to recover my lost territory in the City.
    This will also leave me poor as I'll have no money making abilities and only a Mysterious for Green and the one ARCs, in my possession. If I succeed here, it's gonna be a slow growth on my end eventually.
    Green's three is a Refresh as he says he has far too few cards to work with after loosing to the stupid metals.
    I take that as a good sign and Move for my fourth action sending four fresh bodies out there. I'll even attack a Yugai at F 3, just because it's nearby, in the hopes of anything really. At this point, I'll take money, Renown and I'll even enjoy it if I call down more Yugais and they hit Green.

12.jpg

It's only a strength of five and with a Scapper and four dice, I total a ten sending the evil ones away. I'll reclaim the one of my last two Scrappers and roll a five for my Yugai result, two Renown's nice.
    But now it's Green's four and I've failed. If no Yugai kill him off, the Rook's gonna get four Renown to start the next round.
    He knows this and spends his last action Buying a Thieves Tools, laying it immediately and drawing a card.
    So I'm back to prayin' for strong Yugai. When they do land on C 4 with a single Green figure, I'm thankful. But it's not a Renown square. It does reveal itself as an eleven so I'm still faithful all of the sudden.

13.jpg

Green lays four cards from his hand and he's got plenty of strength all the sudden. Fourteen before the roll and after, plenty for the Yugai death and his first Influence increase.
    D'oh I exclaim as my palm slaps my forehead. The best I can hope for now is the bringing of more Yugais.
    Rook rolls and it's a three, holy jebus!
    The card is read off and there's a token placed on the center, the D 4..! Unfortunately, it's only a strength of five so it's almost like the gods are teasing me now. Three of Green's dice should be able to handle a five but he'll lay the last two blindly from his deck to reveal two Steals..!

14.jpg

Now he's got nothin' left. Having drawn cards, he's committed to fighting even though he's got the three ARCs necessary to bribe them away. And this is when the serious whining really starts.
    Oh daddy, please can I just bribe them? I have no more cards and if I do win by some strange resurgence of luck, I might call more down on me, more with higher strengths. And all sorts of other beggings...
    But I'm firm. He played cards against them, that's like reaching into your pocket when they boom "On the ground" from their vox speakers.
    I make him roll and he produces a five, just enough to tie and defenders win ties. For his Yugai result, he gets a two and has no Renown to pass. Then he tries to act like he wasn't really scared there, that he had it all under control (humph).
    For the Renown phase, Green hungrily scoops his four and Red, a big fat nothin'.
    The start of round three begins with the first player token sliding back to Green and now I'm starting to worry. The Rook has more than three Renown which means if he gets his Steals he'll have plenty of money and he has control of the center City square. With Strongholds available...
    We'll both get the beginning monies of two ARCs and we've both got very few cards in our decks, I think Green has eight with an Influence of five now so I can't believe the luck will leave him with no Steals.
    For his first action, he plops down all three Steals to trade and his Thieves Tools for a gift from the gods of fourteen ARCs. Then he'll Develop a Stronghold on the D 4 accomplishing his only really necessary goal.

15.jpg

I'm looking down now, I don't like throwing bodies in the Stronghold blender, even when I have a healthy army (which I don't right now). If I take a Move action, I still can't get around his Stronghold to attack his weaker squares (makes me wish I had bought the Energy Pills after all...)
    I end up taking a Move for my one after all, I'll slide my homies to C 3 and D 3 and hope I can manage something (maybe cutting off his reinforcements). I still have two War Drones after all.

16.jpg

For Green's two, well it's a no brainer. He's got money and a pretty much guaranteed Renown deposit. So he'll Develop a second Stronghold and plop that sucker on his D 5 square.

17.jpg

Oh the agony! I felt like I was so close there for a little bit. But with two Strongholds and ten Renown (at least) coming in... Against my one Renown and no hope of an economy because my Benefactors are all spent...
    And well, that's the ballgame as they say. My one and only hope (that I can see) is to rush his center Stronghold and try to get my Drones in there. I know it's not good odds and my luck usually sucks (continually)...
    But hey, I came this far "somehow" I might as well go all the way huh.
    I take the Move action and start feeding bodies, needing a five or a six on my roll. The first one comes up a three (and I won't even start tossing cards yet), the second a two. My third brings me some hope as it's a four (ooh we're getting closer) and my fourth and final figure in the City, a two again.
    So at this point, game over and the Rook begins his dance of victory.

Round 1
    Action 1 - Green - Recruit Odin Kester
    Red - Mysterious Benefactor (Yellow for five) and (Green for one), Move
    Action 2 - Green - Move
    Red - Move (fight on C 4)
    Action 3 - Green - Refresh
    Red - Move (second fight on B 4)
    Action 4 - Green - Refresh
    Red - Refresh

Round 2
    Action 1 - Red - Buy War Drone
    Green - Move (third fight on C 4)
    Action 2 - Red - Refresh
    Green - Move (attack Yugai)
    Action 3 - Red - Mysterious Benefactor (Blue for five), Buy second War Drone
    Green - Refresh
    Action 4 -Red - Move (attack Yugai)
    Green - Buy Thieves Tools

Round 3
    Action 1 - Green - three Steals, one Thieves Tools, Develop Stronghold
    Red - Move
    Action 2 - Green - Develop second Stronghold
    Red - Move (into Stronghold)

Graveyard
    Round 1 action 2 - Mercenary (Green's)
    Round 1 action 2 - Bodyguard (Green's)
    Round 1 action 3 - Scout
    Round 1 action 3 - Scout
    Round 2 action 1 - Mercenary (Green's)
    Round 2 action 1 - Scrapper
    Round 2 action 1 - Scout
    Round 2 action 2 - Bodyguard (Green's) to the Yugai

Now looking back, I can see the need to fight and sometimes, fight early and often. I can see how that gives you a chance, no matter who you're fighting, Yellow, Blue or even Green.
    You have to fight or your opponent will simply out turtle you with a stronger economy (especially if you're opponent is better at turtling than you).
    So it seems to come down to this simple rule. You have to fight at "some" point and if you want to win, you have to build a strong army. You have to have some Scrappers (if you can), you have to have high strength fighters or, fighters than can be boosted (like Blue's Enforcers with their trade a Renown for plus two).
    Also, if you can gain an advantage with Advanced Weapons or the Energy Pills, do it do it.
    Had I grabbed the Energy Pills, maybe I could've charged some fresh bodies in at just the right time.
    I'm also "trying" to learn the right time to acquire stuff. I gained two War Drones during this battle but they didn't fight all that frequently. Could I have used those actions in a different (and possibly) better way..?
    Is there a time when buying War Drones isn't good (yeah that one's hard to believe huh)..?
    I can see a pivotal point at my first action of round two, when I went with the War Drone over bringing in more reinforcements. Had I brought more homies in and held the center square, things might have gone differently.
    It's scary when you record a battle and review it, only to see that the outcome hinged on one decision, one little error...

Well I'll keep fighting friends, no worries. I want to say a special thanks to Joseph whose thoughts added some much needed options. And even though I didn't win this time, maybe I'm slowly learning huh.
    Thanks to all who have read our battle reports and feel encouraged people, to help us all learn and experiment, comment..!
    Fight the Yugai!

Glad to help. I'm unhappy to say the reason I know all this is simple: The exact same thing happens to me all the freaking time! Green and blue turtle uncontrollably, we must be aggresive to keep them from getting a huge eco boost. I'm also very aggresive in this game by nature, in my first game ever I was red and was very aggresive, to the point where I met the dreadful fate of no money and a small army that my friend so aptly named, trigger-happy man's money-eating hole of automatic losing. When a red player is overly aggresive and ends up with no money or renown and a small army anybody could take. And now I'm rambling off topic.....
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Just so I understand the rules correctly, wouldn't you (red) get to bid first on Kester if green initiated the bid? I thought all initial bids must be zero. So with two arcs each to start the game you should have been able to take Kester, since green couldn't bid more than 2 arcs. Is this correct?

Hey Deuce, good question friend..!
    My son and I created some "house" rules before the official errata was released. One of these rules was that you can announce a bid on a recruit with any price that you're able to pay, or none.
    We feel this is the better system as it seems a bit weird to not be able to offer a potential ganger your full amount if you really want him.
    If you'd like to check out our other house rules, I called them The Bishop's Alternative City (of Remnants) Rules...
    and I think it's post number, oh... forty three (through forty six) at this thread...

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_for...-Dummies/page5

Hey if you've got more questions, feel free to plop 'em out huh.
    Fight the Yugai people..!

Yellow can get Kester the first round always if they get the right card

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Just so I understand the rules correctly, wouldn't you (red) get to bid first on Kester if green initiated the bid? I thought all initial bids must be zero. So with two arcs each to start the game you should have been able to take Kester, since green couldn't bid more than 2 arcs. Is this correct?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast