Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Communication Device

Default Communication Device

Does the communication device card resolve first, and then get discarded, or does it get shuffled back into a deck with the rest of the cards? I played yellow tonight, and I more or less had an infinite loop going if we didn't discard the comm device card after resolving it's actions first. Any help on this would be appreciated.

The communication device has been errate'd to only include your hand getting shuffled.

Otherwise Yellow can indeed basically set up infinite crazy loops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Quote Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
    The communication device has been errate'd to only include your hand getting shuffled.

Otherwise Yellow can indeed basically set up infinite crazy loops.
    Thanks for the reply! Where can the errata be found? I have a set I bought at PAX. It did not come with an errata.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Where can the errata be found? I have a set I bought at PAX. It did not come with an errata.
    Er...upon further review I'm not sure anything "official" has been put anywhere yet.

However, in this thread here the issue with Yellow and Communication Devices is covered. Potential solutions are discussed. Personally I suggest just playing with Communication Devices only shuffling the draw pile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Quote Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
    Er...upon further review I'm not sure anything "official" has been put anywhere yet.

However, in this thread here the issue with Yellow and Communication Devices is covered. Potential solutions are discussed. Personally I suggest just playing with Communication Devices only shuffling the draw pile.

Yeah, it would be nice if there was an official clarification instead of Colby saying "Not a bad idea. We will likely go with this for communication device and leave smoke bomb if it isn't an infinite loop issue." I will be getting the game soon and have been reading up on this issue on BGG. It would be nice if the designers posted an official errata thread on BGG where they can update the first post with any errata so people can go have a quick look. Should have an errata thread here too.

Hey guys I read this post earlier today and forgot about it for a while.
    Then, as I'm washing some dishes and listening to music, the thought comes creeping back.
    And the thing I keep gettin' stuck on is the "need" part.
    As in, do we "need" an "official" errata for this game, at this point.
    Now, I can remember playing many games in my days as a player, and thinking, wow, how come the designers didn't encounter "this" and be forced to fix it...
    And sure, after playing City (of Remnants) the first few times, my eyebrow raised itself in some questions. Yes, most of those were "tactical" questions but there was one or two, here or there.
    But they weren't "game breaking" and they didn't grind things to a screeching halt.
    So I think it says something you know, about the game and it's creators and all the people that play tested it before it's release.
    This is a well polished game and it shows. The proof is the lack of an "official" errata and I think this should be the "standard" that we measure all future games with.
    Does the new game you just bought have an errata already..?
    No you say, it was made by Plaid Hat Games, oh freakin' awesome..!

Now, do I think we need an official errata posted for everyone to see how "professional" we are..?
    Sure, I think we do. But it's not in a "need" way.
    It's more of in a, "man this game is really cool and I can't stop thinkin' about it so if anyone wants to talk about this game, I'll type your eyeballs out" kinda way...
    Really, the only real significant "error" that I feel needs to be in the errata, is this Communication Device "slip" (and it's minor, it requires you to adjust the wording a bit).

I think what caught me was when Hahma typed, "I will be getting the game soon"...
    So for those of you who have not played this game or purchased it yet, you have to try to understand how much more advanced and "unique" this game really is.
    To think that you will play it once or twice and put it aside because it was "confusing" is silly fiction.
    If you're an intellectual or a "thinker", this game is going to be your nemesis. It will sit on your kitchen table and you will be the only one "playing" between times when you're asking everyone else if they want to play. You will think about it in the shower, on the drive to and from work and your wife will eventually rename your kitchen table "the City (of Remnants) table".
    You will scour the websites (Board Game Geek and Plaid Hat) daily, looking for others who want to talk about "the Game" and if you have any questions, well it's almost like we've already set up an "advanced errata".
    It's called a Forum and there's about a dozen of us out here who want to think about questions, we want to compare "interpretations" and we want to help everyone out there, enjoy the snot outta this game.
    And in this way, it's almost another huge compliment for the makers huh.
    They've made a game that's so cool and so supreme, that they don't have to issue an errata. They've unleashed their game and all of their fans have come together, to do the tedious "work" of answering questions so that they can continue to crank out their next awesome game.
    And if they crank it out too soon, I might still be too busy with the depths of City to tear myself away and try it.
    So for those of you who still want to praise the game with an official errata, I'm on board one hundred percent and how can I help...
    For those that are about to play and worried, know that there will forever be someone out here wanting to answer your questions and discuss your tactics.
    Also know that we will never stop, fighting the Yugai people..!

Great post Bishop

Well I'm certainly not the type to get bogged down by minor issues that are easily solved, so I doubt I'll have any issues with City of Remnants and specifically the Communications Device issue and fix.

Believe me, I know how cool Plaid Hat is, as I have had Summoner Wars since the beginning, adding expansion packs and the Master Set. I've got Mice and Mystics and playtested the small expansion coming up and will be soon playtesting the big expansion as well. So I'm on board with how awesome Plaid Hat is. I've played Heroscape with James and he's a cool dude and have been working a lot with Jerry for M&M, again, cool dude.

After nearly 4 years of being part of a design team and testing team for (C3G) superhero units for Heroscape over at Heroscapers.com, I understand how no matter how extensive testing there is, sometimes something slips through where a specific situation comes up from people playing the game and then we have to deal with fixing it. Heck, we don't even get paid for it as it's been just a hobby that has soaked up hundreds and hundreds of hours over the years for me. That all said, I think if there is problem discovered such as the Communications Device loop, then it goes a long way with the consumers to issue an official errata or ruling. Believe me, I can roll with how it is currently and how other experienced players help out in answering questions. Heck, I do the same when I can. But some people are different and want a solid answer or there's a sour feeling left with them. Now you can't please everyone, but an official ruling on something that was accidentally overlooked would be an easy way to help please some people.

Anyway, I'm excited to get the game and dive right in for some awesomeness.

Woa, I didn't know huh..!
    Being a noob to the posting process myself, I don't know any of the people actually involved in this game as well as all of the others.
    I jumped on the Heroscape wagon when it arrived and have been a fan ever since, my Heroscape collection is huge! If you're one of the people behind the super hero thing, that's awesome and I've been loving your stuff from afar for quite some time now. It's my honor that you read my post man...
    I've also been a big fan of Summoner Wars since it's release owning almost all of the older expansions and the Master set.
    I glossed over the Mice and Mystics because it seemed too cooperative and if there's one thing my kids dislike, it's cooperatin'...
    We've loved Dungeon Run and can't wait for the sequel so yeah, I'm "fairly" experienced in my gaming but not so much in the "posting about gaming" part.
    I apologize if I talked down to you at all, it wasn't my intention.
    I just get a little "excited" when I think people are blowing off an awesome game (that I absolutely love) because of a stupid excuse like the lack of an errata though I agree about the "some people" part.
    So yeah, well said Mr Hahma, I look forward to hearing all about your Yugui fights..!

So what is the official verdict on this?

One Copy per deck or just the fact that it does not shuffle your discard into your deck

Hah..!
    Let's see, the short version is that you play the Communication Device, search your draw or discard pile for your chosen card (putting it into your hand), then shuffle your draw and discard into one new "draw" pile. With the last step being discarding your Communication Device into a "new" discard pile (it should be the only card in your discard pile at this point).
    If, I'm understanding this correctly...
    You should see the post that Ranior pointed out earlier in this thread eh.
    Fight the Yugai once again people..!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast