Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW Strategy/Tactic That Most Annoys You?

Default SW Strategy/Tactic That Most Annoys You?

I know many don't like it when others kill their own units and playing double MD, but I get the reason for it. We've all done it, but there are ways to combat it, and once it's done, the game moves on. But for me, far and away, (which I've only seen on iOS) is when someone plays the TO, makes a line of walls, tucks Grognack into a corner, and builds buckets of magic.

Drives. Me. Crazy.

I've no clue why they think I'll throw my melee units at their walls and let Ice Shards chew them up. And if I were to break through, an instant champ or two would devour me. So I'll just plink away... turn after turn after turn... even with a measly skeleton archer until the TO do something. But if they don't and the wall is destroyed, I'll move the measly archer and again plink away... turn after turn after turn.

Finally, burly Grognack remembers he has lots of hit points and takes off his skirt. He then moves out of his corner, spends some magic, and does something. It's as if he suddenly realizes, "Oh... so he's not going to suicide his units into my walls. I wonder why?" While it bugs me a little since the TO have other options, it mainly drives me nuts because it takes so long for the game to progress on the iOS as I check in once every few hours, only to do a single plink, which may miss anyway.

Riveting.

Any other most annoying SW strategy/tactics? iOS or otherwise? That others do, or maybe you do as a guilty pleasure?
    Last edited by JYoder; 04-12-2013 at 01:58 PM.

It annoys me when the other person kills all their own units and then sits back with only their summoner and does nothing but build huge amounts of magic. Clearly I'm supposed to make an offensive push and then get obliterated when they summon two champions on a single turn. In my opinion, it's so much more fun to duke it out with a moderate number of commons than the previously described strategy.
    I <3 SERA

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I don't care who the summoner is - doing nothing is the most annoying strategy. Sometimes it's hard to avoid, but its super annoying
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

As for me rolling my eyes, the most frustrating is playing against the stuff JYoder and cmarie describe. It forces you to sit there and just plink at walls going back and forth forever. It drives me kind of bonkers because I know it's not really a good strategy anyhow. I'll eventually remove a wall or 2 and be ahead of my opponent incrementally. The TO player who just sits back is particularly boring and exasperating (as Groggy should be towards the front lines anyhow if you want to use him right.)

The most frustrating thing in the game though? Tough call. Benders alone just get me going. I simply hate control, it's so obnoxious to play against. You just can't utilize commons due to Mind Control and Deceivers, you have to be careful with champs due to Counter Summon, Events can't be held because of Mimic, and you can't even rely on movement and things staying right due to Controllers, and Mind Witches set your own abilities against you...it's just all kinda sick. As much as I hate playing them though, the absolute worst experience is when you have to play against a jerk. The sort of guy who grins maniaclly while counter summoning things, who just drips with malice, who just enjoys making you suffer even if he isn't going to win. Perhaps this is what I hate about any gaming, but real jerks seem drawn to Benders. I've played a few games where the opponent honestly just cackles when they get successful mimics and counter summons and things. It's so off putting to the game, and I know those players are out there....

The one other thing I truly hate in the game is 2x Possessed wall, and bad draws on your end. I just had this happen against Tau yesterday, I had 3 champions in hand as the SE, only my start wall still, and he plopped 2 possessed walls onto my only summoning spot. I tried for quite some time to hold out, and drew down to 8 cards in draw I believe without getting another wall. It's maddeningly frustrating for me to just be that unlucky with the draws and things, and really have no option at all on how to nicely deal with it. (Besides take back to back turns of discarding whatever random 2 cards I drew, which then means goodbye useful events like Into Darkness and Shadows...)

That's some of what does it for me I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

I'm guilty of laughing maniacally when I mimic a good event or counter summon a nasty champ, I'd never guess some people consider that truly annoying... I mean, I would be annoyed if someone did that against me, but I'd be annoyed in a 'I'm annoyed but actually having fun too' kind of way.

What really annoys me is rune mage abuse, particularly that one DD deck. Bonus points if Sprog is drawn early. Also Tau's degenerate Filth deck that uses 3 big merc champs and virtually no commons, abusing mutagist to get endless magic really makes me want to concede and play another game when I see my opponent choose Filth.

Quote Originally Posted by Renard View Post
    I'm guilty of laughing maniacally when I mimic a good event or counter summon a nasty champ, I'd never guess some people consider that truly annoying... I mean, I would be annoyed if someone did that against me, but I'd be annoyed in a 'I'm annoyed but actually having fun too' kind of way.
    It really depends. I hate Benders and so rarely can even be said to be in a good mood against them. They just change the game SO much it's like I'm playing some watered down **** form of the game. I really would rather not be playing at all anymore. Add that to a guy who honestly is just laughing and cackling at his good fortunes, good luck, and the fact that he's preventing a lot of what you want to do...it's super crass. It just comes off as collosal douche moves and actions and I'm not a fan at all. Least enjoyable experience of Summoner Wars ever.

Light hearted laughing or whatever, particularly in a jesting fashion is fine. There's a line though I'd say where it's not fun and you're being a poor sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Quote Originally Posted by Renard View Post
    What really annoys me is rune mage abuse, particularly that one DD deck. Bonus points if Sprog is drawn early. Also Tau's degenerate Filth deck that uses 3 big merc champs and virtually no commons, abusing mutagist to get endless magic really makes me want to concede and play another game when I see my opponent choose Filth.
    I'm touched someone has noticed (and realizes it works), but I've changed (somewhat)(mostly because it got boring, not because I'm any nicer). I'm now playing a more normal filth deck 95% of the time. And that deck is easy to beat if you rush. I've never been able to stop a full rush if the opponent doesn't give up. I've seen people think that I've built up a defense and they've lost steam when really a little more would have done me in.

As for what I hate most: Benders, Phoenix Elves, and Uncleeurope. Benders just suck to face, everyone's been there (except maybe Anoir, he's generally on the giving end of this) and PE is the one faction that I lose to 90% of the time because I forget that either A. Holleas can summon fire beasts! B. They have ranged champs! C. They can't miss! or D. My commons aren't sufficient blockers because of GB and B. Uncleeurope, nothing personal, but when you don't play VG, you have always gotten so lucky the game loses its competitive spirit.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

I. Hate. Magic drain.
    My Doug (fan) fiction can be found here

Summoner wars records as of June 1st: 11-2

I feel like a lot of the faction hate here is a little unjustified. Maybe it's because I've played with Benders the most but I've never felt drastically disadvantaged against Benders due to the tiny health. Even against mind witches some abilities are just useless to them.

Granted I console that any ability that takes away event cards is really powerful. Things like Mimic and Possessed wall can be ridiculous.

If there were a faction that I dislike fighting the most it would be PE because I always have to be super careful against them, but it's never put me in a bad mood and doesn't stop me from fighting. No offense Ranior, but I feel like if you're in a bad mood just because your fighting Benders, you're playing wrong. I can understand being irritated by gloating opponents but each faction is supposed to change the game in their own way. If factions didn't then we might as well be fighting with identical decks. Which wouldn't be nearly as fun.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have never been so annoyed by any ability/faction/event card, that I felt the need to stop playing or just give up.

I love it when my enemy does nothing but sit there and not summon anything, mostly because 95% of the time I am playing my custom built CL, JE, SG, or FL decks, all of which generally revolve around assassination, with a good set of champs (or mutations) as a back-up. There are some players out there who just have no clue that turtling is soooo easy to beat if you know what you are doing.

As for my least favorite tactic? Definitely when PE players summon FD and act like your summoner is your only card and it has 1 life left. They just charge FD in, expecting him to win, and then I kill it. IoS players do that a lot. Like Ranior, I hate playing BD with a passion, but I don't feel like quitting the game or something. They have their tricks, I hace mine. Jerks definitely make it worse, but again, I use assassination decks, and Tacullu is weak. So, if I play a good BD player, I have about a 65% Win/loss, its the great ones that annoy me, my win % there is like 10%. And i haven't even played Anoir yet.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast