Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Play City (of Remnants) for Dummies...

I read through it a few days ago and never got around to posting. This is an excellent guide and helpful for beginners like myself. Thank you for such a wonderful tool and I look forward to what is yet to come!
    Orc.....Elf.....Army.....One
    OrcElfArmyOne on Heroscapers, iOS, and Vassal as well.

Hey man, I haven't read all this but have thouroughly enjoyed what I've read so far. Makes me wish I was still in Columbus so we could play!
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments..!

The Second War (also known as Blue versus Yellow)

We start the game insisting on trying the other two colors and since the Green team, played by my ten year old son, won the First War, it was my pick first.
    I chose the Blue team and hoped I might be the one with the economy advantage this time.
    With a two player game, it seems to be a lot like a chess match. One team usually ends up playing defense (and buys up a lot of Developments, Black Markets and Renown) and the other team is forced to play offense or lose the race to the "endgame".
    If you have an economical advantage over your opponent, if you can make money faster, you can "afford" to play defense and force your opponent's gang hand in a cruel and weird way.
    So whereas in the First War, I knew going into it, that I was playing the offensive team, this time I'm mostly sure I can play defense (or pick my side easier on any given round)...
    My opponent, left with the Yellow team, quickly skims through his starter deck, pausing to read each gang member's abilities and noting his special "ability" card, Rally the People, which gives him another card to draw, and one thousand ARCs.
    Wow he says, nothing like free money (and the card.!?)
    It's also at this time, that he notices the battle strength numbers of his "boys" as he calls them.
    He exclaims in dismay as his initial fighters, all six of them, have ones, for combat strength. So while they may make up for it with the free money and more cards, they're going to have to find good fighters, and fast.
    Hopefully, I can build with my team faster than he can recruit with his.
    I'm remembering now, when Zebulin posted way back at the beginning of this thread so I'll recap it as we begin, the Second War..!
    "Try out Yellow. They are actually supposed to recruit that much."

Round 1

The excitement starts before round one even begins as, lying in the available gang member new recruits, is Mr Zar Tayvius, slayer of all and "The General" as we've named our mean Iggaret.
    Even as the Blue team, I'm excited until I realize that I never win the beginning die roll for initiative.
    The die is dropped and Yellow rolled a one! Blue slaps the first player token above his player mat and I can barely make the words come out of my mouth.
    I recruit Mr Zar Tayvius for two thousand, because I know that my opponent can't outbid me with his beginning two thousand and I reach for another figure to add to my pool.
    And it's at this time that I see my ten year old son calmly lay a card in his discard pile.
    And also at this time, that my hopes and dreams for an excellent start and a war that I will dominate the whole way through, sorta pop like pizza rolls in the oven for too long...
    Yellow explains that he has played a Recruiter card, offering two ARCs to anybody that Yellow would like to bid on, at any time, and throws one of his beginning two ARCs in the "bank" saying "three".

Now that's an exciting start huh..!
    I couldn't help it. The real start of our battle wasn't with any "sparks". I knew about Yellow's Recruiter cards when I opened the box oh so long ago (maybe three weeks now).
    So even with the first action up to me, I know I can't win The General, I've only got my initial two ARCs. None of my special ability cards nor gangers provide me with cold hard cash so unless I "acquire" some money in a different way, I know I can't get him.
    I see the Thief card as a possible recruit, but I chose the Blue team and I feel like I should at least "play" the Blue team (for at least the first round maybe)...
    I'm going to drop two of my ability cards, Windfall, to let me draw two more cards from my deck. Then I'm going to move four of my people into the City keeping them in the buddy system and near the entry point.
    For Yellow's first action, he calmly looks at his hand, looks at his money pile (which is still two), looks at my money pile, then at The General.
    He drops three of his Rally the People's, gaining three ARCs and drawing three more cards.
    He then declares that he will Recruit The General and I know it's silly, for me to "up" the bid at all.
    I bite my lip and remember that I will soon have control of the money aspect of the City, and where the money is, the victory lies. I just have to point my power in one direction and go.
    For my second action, my "power" currently needs more money and fast.
    I can drop my leader Sempento (which is real close to the spainish word "sempiterno" for "eternal or everlasting" for you gringos, see, Plaid Hat makes educational games..!)
    And reduce the cost of a development or Black Market by two ARCs, so I snatch the Trade Agreement from the pile and toss one ARCs into the bank.
    There, if he takes my super warrior, I take the only free money on the table (hopefully).
    Yellow tries not to laugh himself sideways as his second action approaches. Apparently he saw a flaw in my "buy the Trade" tactic there...
    He lays a Disciple drawing two more cards to his hand and decides to spend all five of his monies, on an ARCs Counterfeiter tile placing it on the red space just north of his entrance.
    (In the future people, if we need to devise a "direction" we should refer to the map of the City, and when it's letters and numbers are at the top and sides, and the proper "direction" for reading, then North becomes the top of the map and south, the bottom and so on. In this War, Yellow enters from the West and Blue from the East. Be patient, there'll be pictures maybe!)
    For Blue's third action, I'm all kinds of irritated. Yellow has my General and a pricey building on the map and all I have are some figures out there in empty land and the Trade Agreement. I need something significant!
    I drop two Worker's from my hand and using their two ARCs discount each, I now have four to spend on any develpment. With one ARCs left of my two initial, I can afford the Red Eden Heavy tile (for five) and I place it on two red squares near my entrance.
    For Yellow's third action, he's going to Move four of his boys into the City, two claiming the Counterfeiter's and two more nearby supporting.
    Blue's last action is to try to get off on my kick start. About the fastest you can move in, set up a "shop" and produce products is three actions with your fourth, being the sell should you want it.
    I have tried to stay with that "plan" (and really you want an initial strategy for your first round before you use your first action), aside from grabbing the Trade Agreement so my last action is going to be the Produce on my Red Eden (or "lady house" as I call it).
    Yellow's last action is to Recruit a Thief, uncontested.
    When the Yugai drop from their helichopters, none hit us thankfully and we're trying a new trick in this War. Both of us will "try" to draw the Yugai control markers without looking at their "numbers" side and if you need to, try to place your thumb firmly over the center of the piece before removing it from the bag this way you can sorta tell what side you're looking at, without knowing the strength huh.
    We're going to see if it makes any difference or if it adds a "mystery" element and I forgot who posted this idea before, I know I've seen it so to whomever thought this one first, I'm sorry I forgot your name and you should get some credit (pair of aplauses from our direction you know)...
    For the Renown phase, Blue will gain three from my Red Eden and Yellow, three from his Counterfeiter.

Round 1
    Action 1 - Blue - two Windfalls, Move
    Yellow - three Rallys, Recruits Zar Tayvius
    Action 2 - Blue - plays Sempento, Buys Trade Agreement
    Yellow - one Disciple, Develops ARC Counterfeiter
    Action 3 - Blue - two Workers, Develops Red Eden Heavy
    Yellow - Move
    Action 4 - Blue - Produces 3 products on Red Eden
    Yellow - Recruits Thief
    Last edited by B376Bishop; 04-22-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Round 2

The second round starts with our discarding and shuffling, as usual. Yellow is noticing just how fast he "travels" through his deck and is contemplating when to "be forced" to spend a Refresh action.
    For new recruits, no "champions" are available and in the Black Markets, there are two more Trade Agreements which my young opponent begins drooling over.
    Initial monies has Yellow receiving two and Blue, because of his Trade Agreement, starting with a much needed five.
    The first player token is in Yellow's sweaty hands now and he begins shedding cards, dropping two Disciples and all three of his Rally's leaving him with an empty draw pile and seven cards in his hand, despite his Influence of four.
    I can only assume that he doesn't need any of those cards because we're not really in a position to fight yet. I'm anticipating the time though, as I know it should happen, eventually.
    And when it does, it might be tough for Yellow to properly "manage" his hand then, being so used to dropping cards like flower petals on Valentine's Day...
    Yellow's "actual" first action is to buy his first Trade Agreement.
    For Blue's first action, I'll drop another Windfall for the next card and announce that I am Recruiting a Dealer.
    Yellow pauses to think about whether he wants the Dealer, or maybe if he can spend the action this round, and in the end, he lays down his Recruiter card and announces that he will "bid" two ARCs on Dealer (from his Recruiter).
    Knowing it's pointless to try to outbid him, I'll let it go and be glad that it at least used up one of his actions.
    Blue's next "choice" is a Foreman and Yellow decides he can't "waste" another action.
    Now it would be Yellow's second action (or "Gold" as he insists on being labeled now)...
    But because he stole my Dealer, it's now Blue's second action and I decide to Move another four figures into the City, bringing my total to eight, all buddied up and lined up on my side of the City, in the red zones.
    Yellow's third action starts with him playing a Thief for a quick one ARCs and another card.
    He then spends three ARCs for his second Trade Agreement (and the last of the game) and sports a large grin on his little face.
    Blue's third action is to play another Worker card, making his purchase of another Red Eden Heavy cost only three ARCs.
    I lay it in the "row" of red squares where my figures are already waiting, giving me two buildings already controlled in the second round.
    (Also, it was noted at some point in this War, that you can produce products on existing buildings and still purchase a development in the same action. Something I always assumed you couldn't do. So if you're thinking of adding another building to your collection, make sure you remember to Produce first because it's almost like having a free Foreman in your hand, or better if you're buildings can crank out two or three products with one action. Having not known this at the time, I plopped my second Eden down next to the original, which still had three products on it from round one...)
    The final action of Yellow in round two is a Move placing another four figures in the City bringing his total to eight also.
    For Blue's final action, I'm thinking now is the time to Recruit, uncontested as Yellow is out of actions and it's at this point, that a big fat glowing exclamation point appears over my head.
    If I wait until Yellow has no other actions, I can recruit freely without him dropping Recruiter cards on me and raising the prices. The only problem I see with this logic, is that I'll only get to act last, every other round AND there most likely, won't be anybody good to recruit by the time Yellow has picked what he wants...
    Now if I can force him to recruit out of turn, then maybe I can speed up that process but for now, I'll just tuck that info somewhere in the back of my noodle. For now, I'll Recruit an Informer, just because I'd like the ten figure in the City Influence increase, sometime soon hopefully.
    When the Yugai come arollin', one lands in my house but thankfully, it's only a strength five.
    With four dice from the bunch of buddy (system), I'm pretty sure I won't loose. But what I'm hoping, is that if I can roll a total of eighteen or more, then I can get the quick Influence increase the "old fashioned way".
    So I'll lay four cards to fight, the most with my current Influence, three Enforcers and my newly acquired Informer (which will give me some much needed Renown should I win).
    The dice are dropped and seventeen, oh so close but no increase. I will get the three Renown though, from my Informer.
    After my Yugai token is removed, the Renown phase gives Yellow three again and Blue has six, thanks to his new Eden.

Round 1
    Yellow - Move
    Yellow - Recruits Thief

Round 2
    Action 1 - Yellow - two Disciples, three Rallys, Buys Trade Agreement
    Blue - one Windfall, Recruits Foreman
    Action 2 - Yellow - one Recruiter to Recruit Dealer
    Blue - Move (eight figures in City)
    Action 3 - Yellow - one Thief, Buys Trade Agreement
    Blue - one Worker, Develops Red Eden Heavy (number two)
    Action 4 - Yellow - Move (eight figures in the City)
    Blue - Recruits Informer
    Last edited by B376Bishop; 04-22-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Round 3

Round three begins and I'm thinkin' I got off to a "decent" start. I have two fairly workable buildings, both able to make me "decent" money. I have eight figures on the map, a Trade Agreement (even if my opponent has two) and some confidence that I can start to make enough money to "compete" in the recruiting war I seem to be in.
    I shuffle my discard and draw my new four, not really sure what I'm looking for. I know my Windfall's give me another card and I'm looking at the "secondary" ability on these...
    Oh, well that's interesting. Apparently, I can toss this card in the graveyard for one ARCs per development I control. Meaning, right now, should I want to drop them forever, I could gain two ARCs each from my two Edens.
    Which would also eliminate them from my deck, meaning I could draw "blindly" in a battle and at least be assured I wouldn't have "junk" cards. Interesting...
    For the beginning monies, Yellow with his two Trades now grant him eight ARCs and Blue only five.
    In the Black Market, there's two War Drones and in the gang members, Mr Bross Starstrider, Yellow's champion and Ryzin Haru, Blue's champion so lots to choose from all of the sudden.
    The first player token belongs to Blue this round and after seeing what my little friend's War Drone "Thumpers" did to me last War, I'm not about to let him perform a repeat.
    I'll spend the six ARCs and gratefully scoop up one of the War Drones for my first action.
    For Yellow's first action, I'll be really surprised if he doesn't grab that other Thumper.
    He pauses briefly to think something over, plays a healthy stack of cards from his hand then snatches the second Drone happily.
    Blue's second action is to play a Foreman card giving me a free product token on my "empty" Eden and I'll Sell now because I have four product tokens and my Influence is still four netting me a nice eight ARCs.
    Yellow's second action is to play a Dealer to reduce the cost of his Development purchase by three ARCs, and with some thought, he'll take a Protection district (which is where his gang member's extort money or they rough up the local Quickie Marts every week).
    Now with his ARC Counterfeiter and his Protection, he'll be bringing in seven Renown to my six every turn.
    Looks like I'm not accelerating fast enough to make a difference yet. I'll have to try to change that in this round or I'm not going to be able to play defense "comfortably".
    For Blue's third action, I'll take a Move and I'm going to shift some of my homies around, actually leaving one of my Eden's unguarded which I know is a big no-no. But I have to feint or make it look like I might switch to offense in their near future.
    Similar to a chess match again, if I can thrust my knight or bishop out into the middle of the board, then my opponent has to respect that, and modify his plans maybe.
    I still have an action left so I can move again and replace those I moved from my Edens, but in order to get as far across the City as possible, I had to move who I had to move you know.
    Yellow's third action is to bid on his hero, Mr Bross Starstrider. Now Bross isn't quite as cool (I think) as some of the other champions. His attack strength really isn't all that unless you're Yellow (then it's five).
    But with his leader, Ret, with a five, his Thumper, a four and if he gets Starboy, another five, then Yellow has enough "strength" cards to fend off at least some of my future attacks.
    Now I just can't make it too easy for him. I have some money from selling my ladies out, so I'll throw a bid out there, starting at one ARCs, just to see what happens.
    Like I suspected, Yellow starts layin' down Recruiter cards and soon the bidding is up to seven (with Yellow using all three of his Recruiters)...
    Strangely though, Yellow backs down, refusing to raise the bid any higher despite his money on the table.
    I won the Starboy but as I toss my monies to the bank, I'm wondering if I made the right choice there. Why would Yellow let me have 'em if it wasn't what he wanted to happen..?
    It did cost me my last action and now he can Recruit uncontested, but still, could he have wanted my Ryzin instead..?
    Yellow grabs Mr Ryzin a little bit too reluctantly for me to tell if it was on purpose or if we just managed to deny each other what we both wanted somehow.
    Blue recruited out of turn so my fourth action is spent and I realize I made a crucial mistake. I left my Eden's all naked in my rush to threaten. Then I spent my last action, which I needed to reinforce and I'm wondering again, if my ten year old son, out thought me (again). D'oh!
    For Yellow's fourth action, he'll Move and he has twelve figures now, earning his first Influence increase. All buddied up and strongly protecting his Counterfeiter and Protection buildings.

Hey so we took some pictures during this War and I'm curious to see if, number one, I can post them in this thread in the right "spot", number two if you can actually see anything that I'm describing, and number three, if it will help at all in understanding why we do some of the things we do (because you can sorta see what we see, sorta)...

002.jpg

So here's our first picture and you can see my empty Eden's alright. You can also see that I secured one of the center Renown spaces (if for only one Renown) and that I am roughly three spaces away from Yellow, hence the "threat" of attacking at some point.
    I figure, if I can at least slow his travel through his deck, because he needs to keep "some" fighters in his hand, then maybe I'll be able to recover from my blunder and still be in a position to attack, should the need arise.

When the Yugai land, they're dangerously close to Blue and one hit Yellow (woopt!) with a strength of nine.
    With his position, he'll have six dice to work with and I can see him doing the mental math to see if he can get his second Influence increase before I have my first.
    He lays his General Zar, a Thumper and a Disciple but he rolls poorly, totaling fifteen.
    He did get two Renown as his result leading into a total of ten for the round, and big fat one for Blue.

Round 1
    Yellow - Move
    Yellow - Recruits Thief

Round 2
    Action 1 - Yellow - two Disciples, three Rallys, Buys Trade Agreement
    Blue - Recruits Informer

Round 3
    Action 1 - Blue - Buys War Drone
    Yellow - one Disciple, three Rallys, one Thief, Buys War Drone
    Action 2 - Blue - two Windfalls, one Foreman, Sell products
    Yellow - one Dealer, Develops Protection
    Action 3 - Blue - Move
    Yellow - three Recruiters, Recruits Ryzin Haru
    Action 4 - Blue - Recruits Bross Starstrider
    Yellow - Move (ten figures in the City, first Influence increase)
    Last edited by B376Bishop; 04-22-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Round 4

Ugh, for a bit there I thought I was doing "okay".
    I knew I wasn't exactly running away with it, but I felt like I was playing conservative you know.
    Now I'm looking at the map and my one bad decision and it feels a little frustrating. I guess if you want to survive in the City, the first lesson you need to learn is "Make no mistakes".
    With the early arrival of three of the game's four champions and two of the three War Drones, well, I guess you have to adapt when the situation presents itself.
    With the Reset phase, the final champion Odin Kester appears and it's now Yellow's turn with the first player token again meaning hopefully, I can recruit at the end if I'm lucky.
    For starting monies, Blue will get his five for his Trade Agreement and his normal two. Yellow, with two Trades and a newly established Protection, will get a total of eleven ARCs.
    For Yellow's first turn, he'll drop a Thief followed by all three of his Rallys giving him sixteen thousand ARCs to think about things with.
    Yellow decides to play his Dealer card, reducing the cost of his development by three and this time, he goes "big". He plops the Underground Casino on his already controlled green spaces, one side over the one Renown offering four, and he pays the seven ARCs and seems quite satisfied.
    Now again, he should have cranked out two "free" products on his ARC Counterfeiter in this action as well, but we hadn't quite realized the "proper" order of operations (and his Protection doesn't make products)...
    For Blue's first action, I need to regain some semblance of control here. I need to make a Move action, retaking control of my Eden's and getting my ten figures in the City for Blue's first Influence increase.
    Yellow's second action involves him Recruiting Odin Kester and even if I can't stop him from getting the Green champion, I have to at least make him work for it.
    I announce one ARCs and the bidding increases until I'm at ten and Yellow is backing down again. I'll end up with Odin and Yellow wants Technician now.
    My tactic is the same I suppose, I announce one ARCs and intend only to bid the price of Techie up. But Yellow apparently knows I can't spend much more after dropping ten on Mr Kester.
    He gets up to four and I let 'em have Techboy.
    Now it would be my second action but I already recruited out of turn so it's Yellow's third action and he seems to want more money in order to force me into offense mode (he says he's ready for it now).
    He takes a Produce action and cranks out two products on his Counterfeiter and rolls a dice for his Casino, ope another one! No money from his newly bought Casino.
    Blue's third action is to try to catch up in the economy game and I need some much needed Renown also. I'll take a Junkyard and lay two Workers and my leader Sempento to reduce my actual cost to four ARCs. I'll plop it on two blue squares towards the northeast and hope I'm far enough away if my evil genius friend decides to do an attack of his own.
    For Yellow's fourth action, he'll lay his Ryzin Haru card and use his special ability to sell up to any three products without using an action. When he goes to sell his Counterfeiter money, I bring up an interesting thought.
    Do you have to roll for each product as it's sold or all that are on that building go for "one" roll..?
    I argued that when distributing fake money, it's best to "spread it around" so, just because one guy got caught at one Quickie Mart, doesn't mean the other "guys" would get caught down the road so to speak. Thus your chances depended on each individual engagement, each product separately.
    My son argued that after they print the money, some dudes show up at the "shop" and exchange it for real currency so they can take it back to their burrows and distribute it slowly to their gangers, thus a whole other ecosystem is affected "off screen" that we can't take into account.
    So in the end, once again, he won the argument and rolled his die with success. His trickle down pyramid will pay for lots of little kids' bicycles somewhere...
    After this whole affair, Yellow still had an action it seemed. He decides to Develop another Protection and lays it adjacent to his first creating quite a "projects" district.
    For my final action of round four, I need to Move some homies to my newly built Junkyard and I'm abandoning my buddy system so I can thoroughly threaten Yellow's borders and occupy a centerish Renown square (it being the final action and all, grab Renown while it's there sorta thing...)

For Yugai, the drop is one token on one of my Edens, a strength of eleven but I've got enough dice, and cards, to handle 'em I think. I'm actually hoping to get another chance with a good die roll for my eighteen Influence increase so I lay down the best of what I've got, War Drone, Odin and Bross for eight.
    The dice fall from my hands and not so good, sixteen, again, so close...
    For the result, I roll the big fat two, giving a Renown to my little smiling friend.

For Renown, Yellow will gain a whoping fifteen, three from his Casino and the City space underneath for an additional one, four each from his two Protections and three from his ARC Counterfeiters.
    Which to me, at this stage of our War, round only number four, seems like a lot of Renown as I hand him his ten and five tokens...
    I try to concentrate on Blue's Renown, let's see, two Red Edens for three each, my Junkyard for four and the map space I happen to be on in the centerish for a total of eleven.
    Not all bad I suppose, I'm hoping it's still close and I can compete because I really don't want to lose two Wars in a row huh...

Round 1
    Action 2 - Blue - Buys Trade Agreement
    Yellow - Move
    Yellow - Recruits Thief

Round 2
    Action 1 - Yellow - two Disciple, three Rallys, Buys Trade Agreement
    Blue - Recruits Informer

Round 3
    Action 3 - Blue - Move

Round 4
    Action 1 - Yellow - one Thief, three Rallys, one Dealer Develops Underground Casino
    Blue - Move (ten figures in the City, first Influence increase)
    Action 2 - Yellow - one Recruiter, Recruits Technician
    Blue - Recruits Odin Kester
    Action 3 - Yellow - Produce two products on Counterfeiter
    Blue - two Workers and Sempento, Develops Junkyard
    Action 4 - Yellow - one Ryzin Haru to sell products, Develops Protection (second)
    Blue - Move

Round 5

For the start of round five, all of the gang "champions" have been recruited already with Blue having two and Yellow two so at least I didn't lose too badly in the recruiting struggle.
    With both of us having one War Drone each, I try to think that we're still fairly evenly matched until the beginning monies are awarded.
    Blue will have five again from the Trade I bought back in round one. Yellow, with his two Protections now and his two Trades, will have fourteen ARCs slid his way.
    With the first player token returning to the Blue team, it's me first.
    For Blue's first action, I'll lay down a Windfall and I'm considering exchanging it for the one ARCs per development I control, which would be three now. But I have a decent pile of money and I'm not sure what to do with it already so more doesn't necessarily help.
    It seems for a minute that I am at a halfway point in the War and it's my decision, whether I should go on the offensive and try to take some of Yellow's buildings, or if I should continue to try to turtle up and hope that I'm "close" to the win by Renown points at the end.
    So my options are, trade the Windfall, buy some more buildings this round and try to amass a large pile of Renown at the end of this round...
    Or, big fat offense where in my rush to get at Yellow, I can hopefully acquire "most" of the central map spaces and get "some" Renown that way.
    I decide if nothing else, that offense would be slightly more "fun", even if I lose, so I'm moving. But first, my Windfall, I'll take the next card and Move five of my homies towards the center, occupying the "almost middle" at E4 but with a decent support crew to "leapfrog" on my next move placing those figures in the true center space.
    For Yellow's first action, he looks at his cards and surprisingly, he lays none down before looking at the Black Markets and gangers.
    Now, this is interesting to me because I already had a handful of money to start dropping. Usually there's three Rallys followed by some Disciples, followed again by a Thief and a random smattering of "others".
    But this time, Yellow must have worked his deck big enough to the point where he drew five cards that were all warriors that he wanted to keep.
    Or, and this is where I get a little hopeful, he's starting to realize that I am in a position to attack and he's saving some of his "little boys" to throw in the graveyard should he need to concede a fight or two.
    When he announces his intent to Recruit an Informer, I'm baffled.
    Maybe he's in the same position as I am, the one where you're not sure what you really "want" to do in the mid game.
    Or he's got a tactic in mind that's escaping me (and yes sadly, it wouldn't be the first time)...
    I decline the option to raise the cost of Informer boy and Yellow moves his action marker and adds a figure to his pool.
    Blue's second action is to Produce and it's really a stall tactic. I see an Advanced Weapons there in the Black Market which is tempting.
    But I also have three buildings and if I can crank out a nice haul before the combat starts, then hopefully I won't need any more money for the duration (emphasis on the "hopefully").
    Three products on each of my Edens and two on my Junkyard is lots o' mulah when I sell here soonish...
    Yellow decides to Move seriously solidifying his "empire" with fourteen figures in the City, holding his territory with force.
    This makes me real uncomfortable all of the sudden. It seems like I was just deciding to go on the offense and I had a whole "leapfrog" tactic goin' on...
    But I reassure myself that Yellow is just trying to "appear" menacing and that it all really comes down to the cards when the bullets start flying.
    I'll take a Move as my third action, jumping figures into the center space and reinforcing where I can while still holding down my assets in the background and it's looking like, if I'm patient, I might be able to win a square or two eventually.
    For Yellow's third action, he decides to try to Produce but he's realizing that his Protection tiles don't really "make" anything (at least not product wise). And his ARCs Counterfeiter from the first round hasn't done much and really doesn't provide anything that he doesn't have already.
    I think in the end, he decided he wanted to "roll the dice" for his new Underground Casino again and "win big" and it was that, that swayed his opinion as he celebrates his six ARCs (if you roll a two or higher on a produce action, you win so his odds were not too shabby...)
    And just as I think it's my turn again, Yellow reads the "fine print" on his player card and says, oh, wait Daddy.
    He reads the part about being able to produce and develop in the same action and then it's me with my eyebrow raised.
    Okay, it's there, clear as day so I must've glossed over that part and now Yellow wants to Develop another Protection tile with his hard earned gambling money. He plops it down in a row with his other two, already two figures waiting and "ready" to control it bringing the number of his buildings to five, increasing his Influence for the second time.
    And it's Blue's fourth action.
    I sigh inwardly and look at our discard piles, the first thing you should do if you're considering attacking someone. Yellow's is fairly small, he's keeping his cards this round and if nothing else, I've slowed his ascent with my lingering threat. But my deck is virtually untouched, I've got a hand full of fairly tough fighters in my Enforcers and champions.
    It being the end of the round as well, I might be able to weaken him enough to make it finishable by the upcoming Yugai.
    I declare I'll Move as my fourth action and I wiggle two of my figures onto his Casino, with my six dice against his six.
    I lay all three of my Enforcers with an Informer (for the Renown) and I'm going to spend the optional Renown point on each of them to double their attack strength giving me a thirteen before the roll (I'm hoping to get the Influence increase this time).
    Yellow contemplates his assignment then lays his leader Ret with a Drone and a couple of "littles".
    After the roll, Blue gets a nineteen, second Influence increase but Yellow totals twenty two, getting him his second increase and the loss of one of my fighters, poor Informer boy...
    But since Yellow had his leader, Mr Ret Onshadow in the battle and he won, he gets to "steal" whatever card I tossed to the graveyard, in this case my Informer and Yellow happily adds another figure to his player mat's pool, mid gunfire.
    He also notes that he (as well) had his Informer engaged in the battle and needs his bonus three Renown for winning.
    The second phase of our battle involves me knowing that at the least, his Drone and boss man are spent, and I won't have to face them again. And, I managed to save my leader for this round so I lay him with my Drone, Mr Kestor (green's champ) and some smalls against Yellow's not much.
    Oh yeah, I got 'im..! Yellow throws one of his Recruiters and it's the beginning of the third phase of our drive by shooting.
    Unfortunately, neither of us have many cards left to work with. I draw blindly, Bross and two Workers, Yellow shows his Ryzin and Zar with a Dealer, my four against his six.
    The dice fall and another of my figures disappear. I throw one of my Workers and try to be thankful that he didn't have his body snatcher in the mix again.
    The first battle ends and I had to take another picture.

003.jpg

With both of our hands in our discard piles, it's Yellows fourth action and he thinks about it for a minute before declaring that he will purchase his third Influence increase with twelve ARCs.
    After moving his Influence marker up to it's full seven, Yellow's going to take another Move action to reinforce his Casino even though it only means moving one of his many remaining figures.
    So even if I lost the first engagement, I managed to force Yellow's actions into mostly defense throughout the round, even if I was forced to spend a lot of actions in moving.
    If the Yugai can come and hit him now, he's out of cards to defend himself. Of course, the same could be said about me and my holdings so we're both praying to our respective species' gods at this point.
    When they arrive, they hit us both.
    I make some ARCs and my little friend rolls some Renown as we manage to outnumber the big metals.
    Yellow does a bunch of math and says he needs twenty Renown for the end phase.
    Blue takes ten without celebration ending round five.

Round 1
    Action 2 - Blue - Buys Trade Agreement
    Yellow - Move
    Yellow - Recruits Thief

Round 2
    Action 1 - Yellow - two Disciple, three Rallys, Buys Trade Agreement
    Blue - Recruits Informer

Round 3
    Action 3 - Blue - Move

Round 4
    Action 1 - Yellow - one Thief, three Rallys, one Dealer Develops Underground Casino
    Blue - Move (ten figures in the City, first Influence increase)
    Action 2 - Yellow - one Recruiter, Recruits Technician
    Blue - Recruits Odin Kester
    Action 3 - Yellow - Produce two products on Counterfeiter
    Blue - two Workers and Sempento, Develops Junkyard
    Action 4 - Yellow - one Ryzin Haru to sell products, Develops Protection (second)
    Blue - Move

Round 5
    Action 1 - Blue - one Windfall, Move
    Yellow - Recruit Informer
    Action 2 - Blue - Produce three on each Eden, two on Junkyard
    Yellow - Move
    Action 3 - Blue - Move
    Yellow - Produce, Develops Protection (second Influence increase for five buildings controlled)
    Action 4 - Blue - Move, "First Battle" (Blue's second and Yellow's third Influence increase)
    Yellow - Move

Round 6

For beginning monies, Yellow insists he needs seventeen ARCs from his monstrous Protection racket with his Trade Agreements.
    Blue will get his usual five and a grimace...
    The first player token is firmly in my eager opponent's hands and he begins his action dropping cards as if my previous threat of violence was no longer "threatening" to his empire.
    He drops a total of three Disciples, three Rallys and a Thief then apparently needs to Recruit a Trader which I will decline to bid on.
    For my first action, I'll buy some Advanced Weapons from the Black Market. I know the extra firepower will help in the upcoming fights and I've been meaning to buy one for a while now.
    Yellow's second action is to Recruit a Foreman and I remind him as he does, that he will have all sixteen of his figures "in play" and won't be able to recruit any future people until one of his figures "dies"...
    Until he says but yeah, then I won't need to do any more recruiting for the rest of the War. And then I see it, what does the Yellow team do when it doesn't have to recruit anymore...
    I failed to see the "counter tactic" to that in time and I don't think I would have outbid him for the Foreman anyway so he's looking at me for my second action.
    And suddenly, I'm not so sure anymore. My big bad shotguns make me feel all powerful but some of my homies just died in that Casino and I'm a bit hesitant to throw more meatbags into the grinder a la the First War.
    I do have some fairly tough fighters in my deck though, for when the time comes. I'll start by laying a Windfall and it's tough for me to justify trading it for three ARCs. It does sorta "replace" itself when you can draw a new card in it's place.
    I'll take a Sell action because I need to get rid of some products still sittin' in my shops. My Influence is still a six but I'm hoping if I can make some quick cash, that I can at least buy my last increase like my industrious little friend.
    I'll take the two from my Junkyard for ten ARCs and four from my lady Edens for a total of eighteen and it's Yellow's three.
    Yellow has an enormous amount of cards in his little hands and a sizeable stack full of discards making me feel a bunch intimidated. He also has a fairly large pile of money that he doesn't have to spend on Influence so I think I lost the economy game sooner than I thought.
    He chooses a Produce action and rolls for his Casino, succeeding "somehow" and adding another two tokens on his Counterfeiter. Then he Develops a Warehouse and lays a Trader card to lower the cost to seven ARCs.
    With this building and it's "special" Renown value (being equal to the number of tiles you currently control), if I thought twenty Renown was a lot last round, he's looking at twenty six this round and that's a War winner...
    And it's at this point that I sorta lose myself in my own weird panic. I've got lots of money, I should be increasing my Influence and attacking.
    But there's that warm feeling in your guts sometimes when you know you're about to lose to your ten year old son twice in a row and I just sorta freaked out.
    I looked at the nearest Black Market card and snatched it, adding six Renown in my shopping cart for eighteen ARCs and some Energy Pills for two.
    For Yellow's final action of the round, he'll take a Move to shift some figures into his new Warehouse, lining up both of his green buildings along his "borders" and making any real hope of assaulting his position "bad".
    My final action is to maintain this Renown gathering frenzy so I'm going to Move and slide a figure here or there, to any available Renown map square and know that maybe I can kill some Yugai on this battle free round and make some more Renown that way, too (hopefully).
    In secret, I'm hoping that the Yugai come real hard this round, and that they hit all of Yellow's spaces.
    When it actually happens, I'm mystified..!
    Five out of six of the dropping Yugai landed on my little nemesis. I was so shocked that I had to take another picture!

006.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast