Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 2: Lily in Limbo?

Default Chapter 2: Lily in Limbo?

Hi everyone. I'd like to confirm my understanding of how to play Lily in Chapter Two: Lily's Tail.

The Chapter Objective includes "Lily must survive until they arrive." and the artwork shows Lily shooting an arrow at a centipede while her tail is still stuck in the mousetrap (I know, I shouldn't read too much into the artwork accompanying the stories). However, the Special Chapter Rules state "Lily is not considered part of the party." which to me implies that her initiative card is not included with the others during encounters, and that she in fact does not fight (or get attacked) by the roaches entering her tile, at least not until the party explores that tile. So, until the party arrives, the roaches just pile up but don't move/attack, right?

And, assuming I got that right, Lily is also not allowed to attack until she is freed from the mousetrap, because "Until Lily is released, she is still considered alone, even if the other mice have reached her tile." I.e., don't add her card to the initiative stack until she is released? However, I assume she can (and will) be attacked once the party enters the tile.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

Regards,
    Qwib

Wrong.

I've faced the same question yesterday. We realized that we were playing wrong when we explored Lily's tile. We had 1 roach placed there by the chapter setup, 3 more placed by the scenario encounter rule, 3 rats and 1 centipede placed by the special setup. 7 small and 1 big creatures in total so they were occupying all summon spots and one of them is adjacent to the exit where we were to arrive from. The result was that when we explored the tile we had no space to stand on, as it was occupied by monsters! We realized that smth was wrong... perhaps someone had eaten our brains

How to play correctly (IMHO):
    At the beginning of the chapter you should place Lily's and roaches' initiative cards on the initiative track (shuffle first). On roaches' turn those insects on Lily's tile move and attack normally causing Lily to roll defence. On Lily's turn she attacks. She can't move and search, but can perform other actions. When Lily is saved from the mousetrap, she starts acting normally.

This is a time-limited chapter - that's the point!
    Last edited by Menorra; 03-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menorra View Post
    How to play correctly (IMHO):
    At the beginning of the chapter you should place Lily's and roaches' initiative cards on the initiative track (shuffle first). On roaches' turn those insects on Lily's tile move and attack normally causing Lily to roll defence. On Lily's turn she attacks. She can't move and search, but can perform other actions. When Lily is saved from the mousetrap, she starts acting normally.

This is a time-limited chapter - that's the point!
    Agreed. Otherwise when playing with 4 players whoever plays with Lily has to wait until they rescue her, which would be boring. With her constantly being attacked puts pressure on the rest of the group to quickly rescue her. Adding the 1 piece of cheese at the start is in effect giving her an extra life point against the roaches.

Awesome! This was my assumption, but I really wasn't sure so I haven't played it, yet.

But there's one other related question I have. How should I handle the initiative track? If at least one minion is alive on Lily's tile, then when the party explores a new tile, do I just keep the track the same and add new minions to the bottom of the track?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    Awesome! This was my assumption, but I really wasn't sure so I haven't played it, yet.

But there's one other related question I have. How should I handle the initiative track? If at least one minion is alive on Lily's tile, then when the party explores a new tile, do I just keep the track the same and add new minions to the bottom of the track?
    Yes, that is how you do it.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Man, this chapter was hard! My group fail to save Lily once, then ran out of time a second play through (avoiding the Dining Room as we had Nez this time), and only succeeded the third time with Tilda healing Nez. Nez got a lucky blow the third game, taking the centipede out in one hit, but having minions three titles away makes Lily a fast target.

When the title is full of minions and new ones are added, such as can happen in this chapter, is the large minion placed at the entrance space to attack the other three mice when they first arrive?

I am so confused: help.

I get that Lily still plays and is on the initiative track. On page 9 of the Lily's Tail chapter it says that you place a roach "instead" of an encounter minion. Ok so does this mean you play a single roach in the first part of the game until the rats are defeated in the courtyard tile and new minions are revealed? And then do you place a single small minion that was revealed in Lily's tile?

I really am confused and find "Lily Trapped" part 3, p9 difficult to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by ghaerdon View Post
    I am so confused: help.

I get that Lily still plays and is on the initiative track. On page 9 of the Lily's Tail chapter it says that you place a roach "instead" of an encounter minion. Ok so does this mean you play a single roach in the first part of the game until the rats are defeated in the courtyard tile and new minions are revealed? And then do you place a single small minion that was revealed in Lily's tile?

I really am confused and find "Lily Trapped" part 3, p9 difficult to grasp.
    I'll try and explain it:

Lily's card gets dealt to the initiative track just like everyone else's.

While the other 3 mice explore and battle minions, Lily has to defend herself from marauding roaches.

Each time the other mice have an encounter, instead of placing all the small minions associated with that encounter, leave one of them off, and instead place another roach on Lily's tile, even adding the roach initiative card to the track if necessary.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Gottya!!!! Thank you so much.

Interesting to see that Im not the only one having problem with both the rules and the special chapter rules in this game. I love it, its full of atmosphere and everything but the rules arent quite that obvious as one would assume. It seems like many players (like myself) had troubles interpreting the rules even tough they look very simplistic (right use of the word simple?).

Before the next game session it is obvious that I need to:
    1: Read every rule very carefully.
    2: Reread every rule and make notes wherever needed. If something is still not obvious I know what to read again.
    3: Read the FAQ and erratas and comparing with my notes.
    4: Testplay.

Seems like its pretty easy to get confused during this game. Anyway I just love it. The miniatures are great and the look of the tiles makes me feel like the first time I entered the world of roleplaying games in 85 or 86. I used to paint miniatures before I ever laid my eyes on rpgs but the feeling when we started playing was like "Wow. Im in a faerietale. I can do whatever I like and anything can happen." Nothing can beat that feeling and its great getting that feeling again, even tough its just a board game and Im getting old....
    Last edited by The Storyteller; 08-28-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast