Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Boardgame are you Currently Playing?

I recently played Magic for the first time beyond Duels of the Planeswalkers and really enjoyed it. It was a draft and I took a Simic deck to second place in my pod. My one match lost could have gone either way, too, so I felt pretty good about myself. Think I will just stick with Limited for tournaments though.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
    I got in a game of Mage Wars yesterday. My first time playing the Wizard mage. I liked him a lot, I stacked my spell-book with large creatures and a ton of attack spells (lightning and fire types) and basically just went for the kill early on. I was forced to retreat from his Beastmaster horde and walled off some sections. But he trapped me in my corner with another wall and I was stuck there trying to fight off his beasts. It was a very close game (also my opponent's first game) and he ended up winning with his Beastmaster only having two lives left. It was a good game and my opponent seemed to enjoy it as well so maybe we'll see more of that in the future (but SW still takes preference).
    I have only played three times due to the game's length, but I have really enjoyed this, too. I only played Beastmaster so far, which I really like and have gone 3-0 with. I am going to try the Forcemaster or Wizard next to see what it is like to play without a million creatures. I am worried that it will be harder since fewer creatures means fewer activations. Hopefully attack spells make up for that.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I recently played Magic for the first time beyond Duels of the Planeswalkers and really enjoyed it. It was a draft and I took a Simic deck to second place in my pod. My one match lost could have gone either way, too, so I felt pretty good about myself. Think I will just stick with Limited for tournaments though.

I have only played three times due to the game's length, but I have really enjoyed this, too. I only played Beastmaster so far, which I really like and have gone 3-0 with. I am going to try the Forcemaster or Wizard next to see what it is like to play without a million creatures. I am worried that it will be harder since fewer creatures means fewer activations. Hopefully attack spells make up for that.
    That's what I did too. I started with the Beastmaster for my first few games, and then tried out the Priestess and now the Wizard. I was also worried about having less creatures. It just seems like a huge advantage to have 3-4 more attacks, but it worked out pretty well. I loaded the book with attack spells (10+?) and just summoned three creatures throughout the whole game (Mana Leech, Stonegaze Basalisk, Darkfenne Hydra). It worked out pretty well. Like I said all I needed was two more hits for the win. Next I want to try a game with the Warlock. I have yet to get the Forcemaster/Warlord expansion but I think the Warlord would be pretty darn cool. Forcemaster too, but I'm not as sure. The priestess I thought was okay, but I don't have the core spell tomes so I didn't have as many temples as I want.
    Killer Lawnmower was Yoyu the XXVII in Keep of the Necronomicon.
    Killer Lawnmower was Scam in The Admiral's an Idiot.
    Killer Lawnmower Storytold in Operation GoldenEye.
    Killer Lawnmower was Ambrose "Wildshot" Kent of Quimby in The Hall of Statues.
    Killer Lawnmower was Khexhu in Rallul's Banquet.
    Killer Lawnmower was Cadet Nathanial in The Great Marsh.
    Killer Lawnmower was Tacullu in The Twelve Masks of the Summoner.

CoRT: 6-9 (+Storyteller x1)

Impromptu gaming session yesterday. A couple of guys all decided to meet up at the student union and game.

We started out with a few rounds of Monty Python Fluxx. I don't really like Fluxx games, especially long ones. Luckily both of these lasted about 10 minutes and then the other players showed up.

Opened with Cosmic Encounter. It was a 5 player match. We wound up playing with the classic Filch flare that allows a player to steal cards as long as they aren't caught in the act, and the guy that wound up with that flare was the Genius, who wins if he has 20 or more cards in hand. He won very quickly as nobody was paying attention and he was filching cards a lot as it turned out...I hate the original Filch flare and don't play with it largely because of games like this where I think he ruins all the fun for the other players.

We then played a game of Bezzerwizzer. Fun time with this one as usual, I wound up winning by a good chunk though.

Moved on to a 6 player game of Power Grid. It was my 2nd time playing this, and I think I got the strategy down way better. I wound up winning by a decent bit, but it was really fun and interesting. I really like this game.

Ended the day with a round of Peurto Rico. I went with a strategy of trying to get a lot out of buildings as I had some pretty good money by virtue of getting some Tobacco going early with no one else competing for it, so I could get money Trading pretty easily. Unfortunately the other 4 players were largely going heavy shipping, and I didn't get many VP's through that, and didn't quite wind up making enough through my big buildings. I placed 4th with 41, right behind 3rd and 2nd who had 42 and 43. (First was a fairly distant 49).
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Quote Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
    Ended the day with a round of Peurto Rico. I went with a strategy of trying to get a lot out of buildings as I had some pretty good money by virtue of getting some Tobacco going early with no one else competing for it, so I could get money Trading pretty easily. Unfortunately the other 4 players were largely going heavy shipping, and I didn't get many VP's through that, and didn't quite wind up making enough through my big buildings. I placed 4th with 41, right behind 3rd and 2nd who had 42 and 43. (First was a fairly distant 49).
    PR is a good game, I played it like 10 times with different people (even "pro's"). I only lost my first few games where I was grasping the strategy, but after those couple of losses, I started scoring 50+ points going Corn + Shipping mostly. I feel like there is not enough variation and the expansion just throws off the balance. The game is very chess like and can be figured out... It's still a good game, but I don't know how people play it 100+ times.

Do you like San Juan? I played that one over 20 times and not getting even slightly bored of it.
    The Fallen Kingdom is Rising...

On Mage Wars, I played against the Warlord. Thematically he doesn't appeal to me, but he seemed to be different enough from Beastmaster. I especially liked his walls, which only attack creatures crossing from a specific direction, which makes them perfect for guarding your mage or spawnpoint.

Glad to hear that non-creature strategies are just as viable (I do want to stick to Beastmaster mostly, but I don't want to always have an innate advantage). I did play against the Wizard once, but it was our first full game, so when I walloped him, it was more that we didn't know what we were doing.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Twilight Imperium

Been doing the whole 2 player only games for a bit now since my regular BG group has been a bit flaky recently. My wife and I enjoy a few quick sessions of The Duke or for a longer game something like Eclipse. We try many things at least once but it is rough to play a few of the Kickstarter games I am getting that normally only allow for 3+ unless we get creative. She wasn't really a fan of something like Lost Cities, but she has thrown down a mean game of Summoner Wars. Though I think we need to expand into the Co-op games a bit more and see if there are any good options for couples gamers.

Hey, Tigun, and welcome to the forum.

For 2 player coops (and assuming you want a fantasy theme) sounds like you and your wife might enjoy Lord the Ring: The Living Card Game, if you don't mind deck building. A new lighter fantasy game that many are now enjoying is Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, though I find it a bit too light and fairly repetitive. There's also Defenders of the Realm that some enjoy, which is Pandemic with a fantasy theme. And there's Mage Knight, but that's only for diehard gamers.

For non-fantasy, there's Pandemic, Robinson Crusoe, Castaways, Forbidden Island, and the newer (and some claim better) Forbidden Desert. Ever try any of those?
    Only send a friendly invite (JYoder77) if you don't play PE, TO, GD, BD, no Rallul units outside of Rallul, and no Etch or Rune Mages (even in Rallul).
    My Custom Faction Creator tool. Contains demo images to show what you can create.
    Why Sunderved cries himself to sleep at night.

Been playing Pathfinder since I got it a few days ago and have successfully taught 4 different groups and played well over 10+ scenarios with differing characters. The game is highly addictive indeed. I love it for the carry over aspect.

I played a lot of Warhammer this weekend at Screw City GT and a game of Cards Against Humanity. On Thursday I got to try out Firefly.

glenn3e - I think Pathfinder is fairly solid, but have only gotten a chance to play it once. My friends were talking about campaigning it, but for some reason we haven't done that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast