Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Boardgame are you Currently Playing?

Default What Boardgame are you Currently Playing?

This is a fairly popular thread over on Heroscapers, and one that I check into pretty often. Basically you just post whatever games you've played recently at your game nights and what not and comment on them. It's been a great way for me to hear about some games and plenty of them have wound up in my collection. I find I enjoy listening to people's opinions on games when they really enjoy a game I like, so I'm ready to hear what many of the Summoner Wars players really enjoy when they're not doing battle in Itharia.

Tonight I had my weekly board game club group and got some games in.

We opened the night with some Zombie Dice. Light game, really low skill though, very high luck. Not something I like, but waiting for more players to show up, it's what happened.

Then I got to play a 5 player game of Cyclades. This was me against 4 other new players. They all learned pretty fast, but none were really getting any strategy down quick. I manage to be outearning them by about 4-5 gold per turn, and managed to steal one of their Metropolises by capturing their island protected by a single soldier. About two turns later I had managed to build my 2nd metropolis as they couldn't stop me from bidding on the god I wanted because of my monetary advantage. A really fast game of Cyclades overall really, but everyone still had fun, so I think I'll get to play it again which is good. I really do like this one and don't get to play it enough. It just combines so many different elements.

Then I got to try Power Grid for the first time ever. I really like it. I wound up losing on the first tiebraker, my opponent had more money than me even though we could both power 14 cities. It was a little bit longer of a game then I generally like, particularly to own though. I tend to wind up playing plenty of games with individuals who aren't very serious gamers, and so keeping things to 60-90 minutes is good. This one feels like it probably takes 90-120 usually, which I'm fine with, but not sure if I'd get enough play out of it to own it, even though I am tempted to. It was really well done though...even when it wasn't my turn I always felt like I had plenty to think about and enough decisions to make. Can't wait for another go at this one though, I realize now that I don't need to keep upgrading my power plants as often as I was, and that I probably could be more efficient. Can't wait to try again though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

I played X-Wing last night with the new ships. The A Wing got blown up before doing anything, and the Interceptor didn't do much special, but obviously it was the big ships we cared about and focused our upgrades on. It felt odd to have Boba Fett as part of a squad, but it was fun. I blew up the Millenium Falcon's squad buddies fast hoping to get in a situation where I had two ships to his one, but he killed my other guys right after. In a one on one battle, it came down to the wire. If he had not luckily evaded my proximity mine, the game could have been mine. Instead, he used short distance maneuvers to stay close, making my long range missiles and abilities useless, and making it difficult to keep him constantly in my firing arc since his was 360 degrees while mine was 270, and Han does shoot first in this match-up.

The large ships are very cool. I had a ton of upgrades on Slave 1. If our next game isn't a mission, we want to do a large points game with the special rule where each player can have one large ship and any number of small ships but can only upgrade the large ship. I think that will make the large ships feel even more unique in the context of an otherwise vanilla squad.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Summoner Wars. No explanation needed.
    Call me Zeb.

Member of the Unofficial Plaidhatgames Debate Team!

I have a friend who enjoys magic the gathering. I've gotten some stuff, but not a ton.Other than that its summoner wars. Ya know, only when I'm really bored or feel like the only other option is death.
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

Nice Ranior. I was wondering about one of these threads here.

Recently I've just been getting in some Summoner Wars. I did get introduced to an older game last weekend (Richthofen's War I think) by a friend who has a ton of military/war games.
    It's spring break for me this week though so hoping to get in some games.
    Killer Lawnmower was Yoyu the XXVII in Keep of the Necronomicon.
    Killer Lawnmower was Scam in The Admiral's an Idiot.
    Killer Lawnmower Storytold in Operation GoldenEye.
    Killer Lawnmower was Ambrose "Wildshot" Kent of Quimby in The Hall of Statues.
    Killer Lawnmower was Khexhu in Rallul's Banquet.
    Killer Lawnmower was Cadet Nathanial in The Great Marsh.
    Killer Lawnmower was Tacullu in The Twelve Masks of the Summoner.

CoRT: 6-9 (+Storyteller x1)

Had a fun weekend meeting for my summer camp job, with a bunch of old friends. Got some gaming in during free time and breaks.

Played about 3x Dominion on Friday night. Just with the base set, but it was quite a bit of fun. I wound up winning all three games, although one of the players was brand new, so he was struggling a bit. I won with a really nice Laboratory/Throne Room deck the first game, the second game had some Witches and so I won with a Workshop/Gardens deck, and the last game I wound up using Remodels to win.

Played a lot of card games, primarily Euchre. Lots of fun times with this since it's strategic, but easy enough you can usually just talk and shoot the breeze while playing.

Saturday Night got a game of 6 person Monopoly in. I barely was able to win with a bit of luck by building up the Pinks pretty early on and draining most players of cash, so they couldn't hurt me. I was able to get the Oranges then, and had the whole side up to Hotels. Meanwhile another player was using the cheap slums coupled with the Dark Blues, and managed to snatch a 1400 dollar rent on Eagle Scout (Boardwalk in Boy Scout Monopoly), so it was him and I in the end running around. Managed to eek it out.

Fun weekend....it's nice to just play some of the more basic games from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

I miss Euchre. And Monopoly. Nobody in my family will play me at monopoly any more.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU! View Post
    I miss Euchre. And Monopoly. Nobody in my family will play me at monopoly any more.
    Why is that? I have a brother who still plays on occasion. Monopoly that is.
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

I played a reallysimple D&D board game yesterday called Dungeon. It is not something I would buy or clamor to play again, but it was fun to play something simple.

Afterward we played my first ever actual D&D game. That was entertaining in a nongamey way. Most of the fun was in my Druid casting interesting spells to disable or distract whatever giant enemy we were fighting at the time rather than much strategy or storytelling. Especially since they were not checking the wording of my spells and I kept accidentally cheating, summoning two apes permanently which should have lasted a round only, and then changing myself into a legendary ape to slaughter a green dragon when legendary creatures are only supposed to be used in special story circumstances.

RPGs seem neat if only they were not so complex. I would love to run one if I could wrap my head around all the rules and how to make sure combat is balanced. Our fighters constantly missed while I constantly hit for puny damage (when not in legendary form).
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs Alister View Post
    Why is that? I have a brother who still plays on occasion. Monopoly that is.
    Meh. THey think I strategize too much. Plus I always win
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast