Thread: First real game

Default First real game

I have mentioned before how I played a five hour game in less than ideal conditions with a group that isn't into strategy games. Tonight i played a three player game with guys from my regular group. It went much faster, taking six rounds in maybe twoish hours and ending with possibly the closest score I have ever seen in a game with victory points... But more on that soon.

I was yellow and played against blue and green. My opponents tried developing a lot along the edges while I pushed into the blue area by turn 2, so I was gaining more points early on, but more importantly I wanted to be in area I could strike from since I had the most aggressive faction of the three, in my opinion. First three rounds of the game we didn't fight each other, just pummeled some Yugai. The Doom Die was fairly generous early on and blue and I gained a good bit of renown this way since we couldn't yet afford bribing.

By around turn 4 blue and I have developed more, and I am worried if he turtles up any more it will just leave me and red to eat at each other's score. We are both at seven influence and have a huge battle on a two-space development. I lose the first one and unfortunately miss out on Ret's ability. I beat him e second battle, and for the third we are both out of cards and equal in dice... But my dice roll better, and i get it. He can't take it back, so I denied im four points that round and just run away next round knowing it is a hopeless war.

By this point there is a ton of product on the board and we are making off huge on sell actions, maybe fifteen bucks each time. Bidding rarely goes over four, no one is buying a ton from black market, so we use it on bribes a lot to avoid the Doom Die.

Throughout the whole game I am the only one to initiate battle. I attack green over a red development that is unsupported by adjacent spaces and win it. I also attack him in a space worth no points just to set up a buffer zone in front of my developments, making it near impossible to lose them on the last round.

Blue develops into an empty space in round five (beginner's mistake) and I teach him a lesson and take it immediately. I only stay in for one round, but that is three free points.

The last round we cash in big through black market for the extra renown, everyone spending all their money and just hoping Yugai don't need to be bribed.

We should have crossed our fingers. We never once got two Yugai in the same space all game, but this round was the first time the Doom Die made us draw another patrol card... And green made this happen a hilarious three or four times. We ended the game with no one ever losing a patrol battle due to playing very defensively and keeping cards in reserve when unable to bribe, but it was an exciting end game.

The best part was when we scored. Green reveals 78. Blue reveals 78. I reveal... 79.

That is what we call a good game.

Blue should have won it, really, but when offered a couple times to take something back (ie developing an empty space and forgetting that we could just walk in on our action) he said he would just live and learn, and that we did.

We all had a blast. Plaid Hat has another winner here, as far as we are concerned. I like how even if you take out red, the faction that is the most driving force behind player versus player combat, it is still a fun economical game with the occasional player battle thrown in.
    Last edited by Adam; 02-13-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

Nice report. That has got to be the closest point score yet. Thank you for sharing.

Have you played a four person game? Is three player highly recommended? And do you think two player promotes to much turtle developing?

Joe pointed out on BGG that I played one rule wrong: when buying renown, you can only buy as much as your influence. However, I still would have won and they could have just bought the other points in the previous round.

I played one four player game and one three player game. The four player game was with two guys who didn't really get it and just spent their whole turns chasing down cops for no reason, so I am going to stick to playing it with my main group of gamers.

I doubt two player games are specifically turtly. It probably depends less on number of players and more on factions chosen. Red has the highest strength values and most incentive to steal developments. Yellow recruits best and so can just throw lots of gang members into a fight. All factions can fight, but I think the other two probably want to pick fights more carefully and develop more.

That is my opinion after two games, in any case.

I think this is the best competitive three player game I have played. I would reccommend it.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

My lady turtles terribly. But she won one game doing it and the second game she came in within 25 renown. I played a game with my best friend and he tried full frontal assault and I squashed him with garius. I blew up all of his developments in a humiliating defeat. It was glorious.

It was glorious.