Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Summoner Wars Puzzles

Default Summoner Wars Puzzles

To those familiar with Chess, you might have seen a Chess problem. They show a board position, and tell you to get Mate in 2, or perhaps find the fork, or some other such thing.

Awhile ago, I thought that it would be fun to create these for Summoner Wars. Of course with the dice aspect of Summoner Wars, you cannot perfectly plan out moves or ensure victory, the dice ultimately decide. That was an obvious limitation and struggle of trying to figure out how best to do these. After a bit of thought, I figured that I may as well just go ahead and try to create some, even if you could only get so far.

The goal of the puzzles I am creating are to challenge players to see the full board, and all the possibilities open to them. Most often right now I envision that they will be find the moves that maximize your chances of winning that turn, for these are the easiest to create for now. I'll try to incorporate some others though later on, including some perhaps on protect your summoner, or something else similar. For any puzzle that says "Maximize Your Winning Chances" it means that there is at least a 75% chance of winning this turn, and your goal is to find the most likely (percentage wise) way to win that turn.

My aim is to put one of these up every week, maybe twice a week, so keep them flowing. My aim is to put them up on Thursdays, so as not to conflict with the excitement of preview Mondays and offer something else to look forward to every week. I'm not confident that I'll manage it every week, but I'll try to.

I would request that others do not share answers. If will post the answer to the previous puzzle at the start of the next week's puzzle. I just ask no one share the answer so everyone can feel free to enjoy finding the solution. If you do have questions, feel free to PM me. Feel free to post that you got it. Just please do not actually post the answer or absurdly obvious hints. The fun is in challenging yourself and finding the answer, so please be courteous to others trying to find the solution.

Answers will be posted with the full listing of any draws, summons, events, attacks, and what else that may be needed. I will be using a notation system that I'm working on finalizing. The basic gist is that spaces will be notated like chess, with letters for the columns (so a, b, c, d, e, and f) and numbers for rows (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8). a1 is the space that is in the lower left, and therefore f8 is in the upper right.

Finally, I realize some others might want to post their own...however I'd ask that you don't, unless you run them by me first. I'd really like to keep them of a fairly high quality, and interesting, and also not very repetitive. I also have some ideas myself for future ones (some of which I've already made!) so I'd prefer if those don't get ruined by others. You can always go create your own thread with your own puzzles. If you do have a good one though, share it with me, and I'll let you post it for this week or something. I'm willing to let others in, I just want to ensure the quality and consistency of the puzzles in this thread.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

A link to the puzzles will be included below (with post date after)
    Remember, the solution to the previous puzzle is in the next update. (So Puzzle 1's solution can be found by visiting Puzzle 2, etc.)

Puzzle 1 (February 4th)
    Puzzle 2 (February 7th)
    Puzzle 3 (February 11th)
    Puzzle 4 (February 15th)
    Puzzle 5 (February 19th)
    Puzzle 6 (February 21st)
    Puzzle 7 (March 4th)
    Puzzle 8 (March 22nd)
    Puzzle 9 (April 4th)
    Last edited by Ranior; 04-04-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Puzzle 1:

Maximize Your Winning Chances:
    (This means that there is at least a 75% chance of winning this turn, you must find the actions needed to accomplish this)

Puzzle 1.jpg

You are the Sand Goblins, and it is your turn to move. Your hand is on the left of the board (Bomber, Silts, Urick, Mirage, and a Shaman). Abua already has 4 wounds. Find the actions that can maximize your chances to win this turn.
    Last edited by Ranior; 02-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.

Ranior, this is an awesome idea! It'll be good for learning how to maximize your gains with a variety of options and, and looking at this one (and your dedication to quality), they'll keep me entertained for the weeks to come.
    Grisamentum was Rath in Rallul's Banquet
    Grisamentum is Ori the Bounder in The Great Marsh

Use Mirage to place the left most wall one space up and one space to the left. Then summon a Shaman. Move the Shaman up one space and to the right one space, so that it is above Miti, and Krusk up two spaces. Then use Sandstorm to move the Shaman up one space, roll to make sure he lives. Blast Miti for two dice.
    Chances of success: Not yet Calculated... somewhere just below 50% though. I'll check.
    "BRA GABRAHAHAGABA"
    "(ME MUGGLUG!)"
    "And I'm Maldaria... in The Twelve Masks of The Summoner"

"Now remember... Don't spam Rune Mages and never use Rallul."
    GLISA OFFICIAL RECORD: 4th Place
    2-3 (751 Summoner Strength Points)

Should we answer in here, or PM it to you so others can figure it out?
    Right now I'm only seeing a 1/3 chance of winning this turn...
    And jeb, not only are you miraging onto his side, but you also said to attack miti when I think you meant Abua.
    Last edited by I LIKE TAU!; 02-04-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Relax and enjoy your shoes.

I LIKE TAU! is Oldin the Boring in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    I LIKE TAU! was Blur the Scholar in The Great Marsh. Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Check out VASSAL, the free online SW program! We are always looking for more players, so learn how to use it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    Im with I like tau on this one!

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebuh214 View Post
    Use Mirage to place the left most wall one space up and one space to the left. Then summon a Shaman. Move the Shaman up one space and to the right one space, so that it is above Miti, and Krusk up two spaces. Then use Sandstorm to move the Shaman up one space, roll to make sure he lives. Blast Miti for two dice.
    Chances of success: Not yet Calculated... somewhere just below 50% though. I'll check.
    I don't see how that gives us a 75% chance to kill Abua this turn....

EDIT: You meant throw 2 dice at Abua. That's a 44.444444444% chance
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I know there was a lot to read in the opening post but...

Quote Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
    I would request that others do not share answers. If will post the answer to the previous puzzle at the start of the next week's puzzle. I just ask no one share the answer so everyone can feel free to enjoy finding the solution. If you do have questions, feel free to PM me. Feel free to post that you got it. Just please do not actually post the answer or absurdly obvious hints. The fun is in challenging yourself and finding the answer, so please be courteous to others trying to find the solution.

Please follow it.

At least knowing me and how I am with puzzles I HATE others who spoil the answer. Don't be that guy.

And so yeah, for answers, you can PM me if you wanna check, although if you're pretty sure you're right, just wait for the answer to appear in the next week's puzzle. I don't wanna be swamped.

Oops... haha Sorry
    "BRA GABRAHAHAGABA"
    "(ME MUGGLUG!)"
    "And I'm Maldaria... in The Twelve Masks of The Summoner"

"Now remember... Don't spam Rune Mages and never use Rallul."
    GLISA OFFICIAL RECORD: 4th Place
    2-3 (751 Summoner Strength Points)

Although to those who are or do figure the answer out, for this week at least, post how long it took you and/or how hard you thought it was. I'm aiming to make these challenging but accomplishable with some thought and work. I don't want them to be obvious, but I don't want them to be very difficult either.

Haha I think you could do a whole year on Sand Goblin puzzles. Who else are the most puzzle-y factions? Filth, for sure, Mercs maybe, Deep Dwarves definitely, and don't underestimate the puzzle-yness of Abua! Thanks so much for these Ranior.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast