Thread: Vanguard Deck Build Advice

Default Vanguard Deck Build Advice

I have (what I think to be) a great VG deck, and I just wanted other people's opinions. From what I understand, the VG aren't considered to be all that strong, but I've been having a lot of iOS success with this deck (which may not be saying much).

Sera + Walls and Events

Malevolence
    Jacob Eldwyn
    Naan'Nashi

Cavalry Knights x2
    Stalwart Archer x2
    Priest x3
    Angel x3
    Guardian Knight x5
    Spear Grounder x3
    TurtleCross Beta Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Khayzhard View Post
    Colgha, the Fern Magician
    Champion of the Rulebreakers
    Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleeurope View Post
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

My deck is looking as folowing
    Jacob
    Kalon
    Leah
    1 Priest
    7Guardian knights
    10 Archers
    gone 8 win / 1 loss with this deck on Vassal.

My deck is:
    Leah
    Kalon
    Coleen
    8x Guardian Knight
    5x Priest
    1x Stalwart Archer
    4x Cavalry Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colgha View Post
    I have (what I think to be) a great VG deck, and I just wanted other people's opinions. From what I understand, the VG aren't considered to be all that strong, but I've been having a lot of iOS success with this deck (which may not be saying much).

Sera + Walls and Events

Malevolence
    Jacob Eldwyn
    Naan'Nashi

Cavalry Knights x2
    Stalwart Archer x2
    Priest x3
    Angel x3
    Guardian Knight x5
    Spear Grounder x3
    Could you talk a bit about your approach with this build? I find SAs to be on the of strongest VG commons so am curious about how you compensate without them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jdoublep View Post
    Could you talk a bit about your approach with this build? I find SAs to be on the of strongest VG commons so am curious about how you compensate without them. Thanks!
    Yeah thanks, probably should have mentioned that.
    I usually find myself trying get a champ out earlier depending on the circumstances either Jake or Mal, then spring the other two late game. I guess it's kind of a defensive deck until late game when I switch to a very offensive deck with Sera in behind two champs and with a lot of magic. I've gotten very comfortable using Sera up the field and I think most people don't expect that. Anyhow, I'm around 15-2 with them and the two losses came down to Sera v Summoner and should the die have been different could have gone my way. Regardless, I hope this answers your question.

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist
    As long as Colgha is on the Battlefield, Perpetual Events played by you cost 1 additional Magic Card to discard, AND, you can have 2 Perpetual Events in play at a time.
    I am attempting to understand how it could be taken that I would, in any scenario, even THINK about making fun of Colgha. Who happens to be one of my favorite companions.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I play this in the iOS - haven't tried it in RL though againstmaster set and other factions:

Kalon / Malevolence
    Jacob
    Leah

Stalwart Archer x4
    Guardian Knight x3
    Priest x4
    Cavalry Knight x2

I like to summon an archer or two in the early game and try to keep everything but one GK (which i usually kill) alive as long as I can. Then I change over to turtle, hopefully with Jacob backed by Sera surrounded by walls or units shooting at a wall until they come into the meat grinder.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

My friend plays a lot of Vanguards and despite what people say, they aren't weak at all, as long as you deckbuild. The stock deck is pretty meh, but the reinforcements are very solid and really complete the feel of the faction.

I'm surprised to see builds with almost no priests. A properly placed Holy Judgment (or two) can turn into a seriously substantial magic gain. Vanguard are also one of the few factions that can summon during the event phase on a turn in which the player started with no magic. Sure, it's not something you can always rely on, but the possibility can mess with your opponent's mind.

How are Angels? They have an interesting ability, but I don't see them used much. They don't have the AV to be used aggressively like CKs and SAs, but they're cheap and have 2 hp and some mobility, so maybe useful for wall crowding?

Quote Originally Posted by reddawn View Post
    My friend plays a lot of Vanguards and despite what people say, they aren't weak at all, as long as you deckbuild. The stock deck is pretty meh, but the reinforcements are very solid and really complete the feel of the faction.

I'm surprised to see builds with almost no priests. A properly placed Holy Judgment (or two) can turn into a seriously substantial magic gain. Vanguard are also one of the few factions that can summon during the event phase on a turn in which the player started with no magic. Sure, it's not something you can always rely on, but the possibility can mess with your opponent's mind.

How are Angels? They have an interesting ability, but I don't see them used much. They don't have the AV to be used aggressively like CKs and SAs, but they're cheap and have 2 hp and some mobility, so maybe useful for wall crowding?

I find that the Priest + Holy Judgement combo is too circumstantial and I'd rather not rely on it, if that makes sense. That being said, I do pull it off every once in a while and it's always helpful. I like the Angel or CK + Naan combo and people seem to forget to about their ability so they can get some crucial hits in. I really try to get the SS + Wall + Champ combo off and I'd say 9 times out of 10 I am able to. Another thing I typically do is throw out my first five cards for some early magic which helps with getting Jake or Mal out in two or three turns. And I totally agree with you, I think the VG can be very strong, and are underrated.

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist

I usually run:

Kalon
    Jacob
    Leah

7x GK
    4x CK
    6x Priest
    1x SA

Goal for me is to utilize Leah early and often to build an advantage. I usually wait on Priests and try to play a 2x or 3x HJ. I don't care about pulling off a Wall + SS combo, which isn't necessary or ever that great. (I'm not into rushing or pressuring with VG, but standing back more so). Ideally I set up my walls to funnel enemies down the center, where my champion and maybe a GK is standing to sit and kill them while utilizing healing to handle them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Quote Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
    I usually run:

Kalon
    Jacob
    Leah

7x GK
    4x CK
    6x Priest
    1x SA

Goal for me is to utilize Leah early and often to build an advantage. I usually wait on Priests and try to play a 2x or 3x HJ. I don't care about pulling off a Wall + SS combo, which isn't necessary or ever that great. (I'm not into rushing or pressuring with VG, but standing back more so). Ideally I set up my walls to funnel enemies down the center, where my champion and maybe a GK is standing to sit and kill them while utilizing healing to handle them.
    Yeah, that's how I usually see them played. However, I think that people don't really expect a VG rush deck (that might not be true) and so I like pressure early to build momentum and then lay off and take out the opposing champs and then hit hard again at the end. So far it has been effective. But thanks everyone for the input, I love the VG and I'm always interested in hearing about other people's strategies and in receiving input regarding mine.

Cost 6 AV 2 (bow) LP 4
    Master Ritualist