Thread: Lizards and Space Orcs!!!

Default Lizards and Space Orcs!!!

hey all, I just finished my first game of CoR last night. It was amazingly fun, and I discovered that someone can come back from a nearly 50 renown defecit to almost win. So that's great, that it doesn't have that slippery slope effect so many games can't avoid. Even SW has it to an extent, for a couple bad moves can be turned too far into the opponents favor to win. but coming back from losing by 50 points? In a game where you receive them in 3-5 renown till the end? Wow.

Round 1: So I was Sempento, and my dad was Garius. i started out by quickly flooding the board, and all of my actions were movement and buy. Got a thieves district. My dad did the same. And that led to a very early combat. unfortueately, my enforcers were the only offensive unit I had, and I quickly lost 2 gang members. Rocky start. I backed off from the Heights, allowing my dad to gather renown. The Yugai didn't land on us.

Round 2: With a hand of Semento and 2 enforcers, I attacked the 3 renown space. I had 2 battle dice and 11 strength (5 from Sempento, 2 from an enforcer, and 4 from another enforcer, used his ability of getting 2+ strength for 1 renown.) my dad had 7 strength, from 1 scout and 3 scarppers. He had 2 battle dice as well. We both had 2 units in the contested space, no one adjacent due to the fact that I needed to maintain Thief district and dad was cut off by Yugai surrounding the space. I won, but then the next fight, i realized my mistake. I had to discard Sem and the enforcers, so I had nothing. His scrappers got to go back to his hand, however, because of ability. I still pulled of a win, but bearly, and now i didn't have a deck. So I had to take a refresh action, and that screwed me. No Yugai landed on us.

Round 3: My dad retreated and started developing. I could do the same. Normally that would have been stupid because i would have the advantage, but i was weak. Fortuantly, my dad bought something from the black market using all of his ARC's, and i got Odin Kester for free. Now i was making a comeback - but here was the problem. I didn't have enough strength to beat off an attack, or the numbers to ensure victory with my battle dice. If i advanced beyond the slums with my developments, i would get massacred. And whup-ditty-doo, the gang members and black market cards were all non-combat cards. My dad was beating me by a hefty 20 renown by now, and I knew That the game would be over soon if I didn't do something. Still no Yugai.

Round 4: The gods of luck in the draw smiled upon me this round, because while the gang member deck was bst, the balck market had 3 war drones and advanced weapons. My dad was more interested in spending his limited cash on developments. He did get A weapons, but I got all 3 war drones over the course of the round. I still had 2 enforcers, and with sem, they made a good defense. I still couldn't attack from my lack of Gang members, but my dad wasn't going to barge right in 21 strenght worth of defense. I was losing by 30 renown, though, so my next step was getting developments. But my dad was still in the heights, and I was screwed. But then, came the Yugai! They occupied most of Heights, killing my dad in the process. He also lost a major development, a junkyard, to a pair of 11 attack Yugai.

Round 5: The heights were up for grabs! I dumped Odin on myself, giving me 12000 Arcs. I got an ex-soldier for 3000, and drove my dad up too 13000 for Bross starstrider. I was losing by 50 renown at this point, and this round was bleak for me. I got forbidden knowledge, and the gatorum towers. My dad started producing on Star dust light, and buying foremen to up the production. The Yugai attacked him again, but it was mostly 7 attackers and only 2 hit him. He killed off both.

Round 6-7: I got both other forbidden knowledges now, with advanced weapons. My final turn was spent getting a thief. I was building my way back into the game. He and I kept bidding for Ryzin Haru, but my dad dumped him on me for 7000 ARCs. My dad had 6 influence ans premapring to take gatorum towers. I knew that next round, he would strike if I was still in this position. But then I did something that evened the odds. I built a fight club, giving both 2 heights developments and 5 developments total. 6 influenceof my own detterred him, for I had grown my gang considerably and my war drones could put a dent in him.

Round 8-9: Losing by 30 here. However, I'm catching up. The game is almost over, and He attacks my developments, robbing me of junkyarrd and G towers. But not before I close the score down to 15 renown. And with that, the game ends, we are out of renown, but I have one more ace up my sleeve. Remember the forbidden knowledges? Yeah, having all 3 was worth 21 renown at the end of the game, putting me in the lead by 7 renown! My dad had too many developments, though, and he beat me by 7 or 8 in the end. But it was a fantastic game! Can't wait too try Jara, who looks like the BD of CoR.
    Marek is LOVE. Marek is LIFE.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

2. Marek is the best Summoner ever.

3. Marek will troll the everliving crap out of you.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).
    Member of the unofficial PHG debate team. (Officially endorsed by Marek.)

Great report, forbidden knowledge is a silent killer.

Wow! Great job joseph. You made the 2-player game sound really fun and exciting. Did you dad destroy any developments with Garius' card? Is that ever helpful?
    Last edited by joepinion; 02-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

He did not, and it really isn't something you ought to use often. It's more of a power you would use on opposing developments, because you can't hold those for long, or if you are losing really bad. However, since the only times I had the lead were when I was winning 3-2 at the start and at the end after I played Forbidden knowledge, were m 6 point lead was killed off by the number of developments he controlled, he didi not use the ability. I would say it would be worth it to use on cheap Slums development, because some of them cost 3000. And, i beleive you get 4000 for killing it. So I would say it should be used on cheap Slums, like red eden light or back alley games, or on enemy developments that you can't hold for long before the enemy takes them back. Never use on something within the heights zone. You can always use those.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

"If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit." -Marek (probably).

And i just finished game number 2!!! We are trying all of the gangs, so I was Jara, and my dad was Ret Onshadow. Again, he won, but I kept this game a lot closer, and it was even all the way. Like before, I will go by round.

Round 1: So in this one, we didn't move units till later. I started hording money, and buying gang members. My dad did the same, and via his powers he got what he wanted and drove me up. I was probably paying nearly 3000 per gang member, which is a lot of money if you are in round 1.

Round 2: This one wasn't much better. Almost the exact same, except i got forbidden knowldge. my dad and I both got CPU terminals to up our drawing number.

Round 3: This was where the action happened. I built an ARC counterfeiter, as did my dad. While I started producing, he bought more gang members, and in my 4th turn I sold some stuff for 12000 ARCs.

Round 4: The reason I said round 3 was the action starter was because It led to this interesting scenario. My dad built a star dust district light, and I built star dust distict heavy.

After that, we attacked each other! now, i learned a valuable lesson here. NEVER EVER ATTACK A SPACE WITH 2 RET SUPPORTERS IF YOU DON"T HAVE BACKUP. my dad had a huge deck by now, and while Jara and 2 of his bodyuards decimated his own forces, now my dad wad plenty of cards to fight me with. Good cards. And waht do I have? Mercenaries, who don't add attack strength, but give you 2 extra attack dice. So I needed luck (which turned out to be a big part of their game plan), and while they actually payed off most of the game, not here. With 8 dice rolled and 0 attack strength (2 figures on space plus all 3 mercs), I rolled a measly 6 strength. My dad, on the other hand, had a lot more. he finally ran out of cards when he finsihed me off in the final battle, since I only had 1 attackd die for my total strength. Now, we both were out. And, guess who decides it would be nice to kill us? The Yugai. 4 of the 6 tokend hit us, and we lost a lot of men.

Round 5: So I'm retreating and so is my dad, because we both lost most of our armies. I start building, with some back alley games and a weapons district. I'm also filthy stinking rich because I am making tons of money off my counterfeit money and my star dust. My dad and I kept building up. I was getting developments and he was getting men. Both of us ended the round on a positive note as he used a technician to get Bross starstrider for a low price, and a pair of dealers got me a warehouse for dirt cheap. The Yugai hit again, and somehow slip past a large defense for the both of us in order to get some unist on renown spaces.

Round 6: Now my dad and I switch what we are getting, and he starts getting developments and i start hitting he stores. I manage to snag Ryzin Haru, who made me into a multi billionaire by selling all my products, and my dad built up. It eventually got to a point where we both had 2 of the single renown spaces, and we jockeyed for the 3 renown. I pull ahead by 10 renown after a game that was very often tied. It was the first time someone was more than 3 points away renown wise from the other player. So i pull ahead, and i am so excxited, when the Yugai force me into midtown. My dad seizes the advantage next round.

Round 7-8: So my dad gets every renown space. I Use mercenaries to obliterate the pair of 1 renown spaces into my control, but he has the 3 space under lock. I build another development to compensate for that. We are running low on renown, so I start attacking him and he attacks We meet in the center, and due to the fact, all my developments have 1 figure on each space of those developments. So they are weak, but I have a wall of my guys protecting them. I build 1 more warehouse, which would give me the win if I could hold on to it. I had 2 of the 3 forbidden knowledges, so I was in the clear. And Ironically, that warehouse killed me. The next round, after the Yugai were put down without any casualties to me or my dad, we fought in the center. Full scale battle. I beat most of his guys near the true middle, but he wins towards the outer heights. He takes bross starstrider, and plays him to move his guys - around mine! Then, he fights me some more. That ends up in pretty much a draw, killing everything in that fight. And just like that, my developments are exposed.

Round 9-10: My dad has 2 units lingering right outside of my developments, and he starts purchasing more units to go in. I do the same to defend, when he tricks me. Normally, what happens is we drive each other up around 4000 or 5000. He bids on a foreman for 1000. I bid 2000, to raise it. And he lets me take it. And why is this bad? because now i used all 4 of my turns, and he had 2 left! He dives in and takes the warehouse, the round ends, and he gaets in the lead.

Round 11: So i try to retake the warehouse with a huge load of crap. I finally get rid of 3 of the 4 guys there, but then during the final fight, I roll 3 with 6 battle dive and he rolls 9 with 3 battle dice, and wins. Since i needed that warehouse, i lost. Great game, though and I can't wait to play again. next up: my friend Ian and I are gonna play tommorow, who will win. The vicious iggarets, or the deceptive lentrees?

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

Joseph, how many dots are on each side of the battle dice? I know it ranges from 0-3 but what's the distribution?
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

one side is a blank, two sides have a 1 on them, two sides have a 2 on them, and one side has a 3 on it.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.

Joseph, I was reading through your initial battle report, and I'm really enjoying it! Just curious though, you said this about one of your early fights with your dad:

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    His scrappers got to go back to his hand, however, because of ability.
    But, don't Scrappers only return to your hand if you're the victor in a combat? I thought you put them in the discard pile instead of returning them to hand when you lose.
    Last edited by Hilgendwarf; 09-27-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Yeah, that was a mistake we made. Keep in mind, this was our very first game, which means it was a learning process. It really didn't matter in the end, thr small deck size and the fact it was turn 4 of the round meant he was probablt gonna get them back anyway.

3 rules of SW:

1. Marek is perfect.