Thread: Ghosts

Default Ghosts

Last night I taught the game to two new players. My Birodin was actually first to be eliminated in an embarrassing failed escape attempt, but a couple rounds later one of the new players with the summoning stone was defeated and asked if he was out for good or if we could still mess with the other players somehow.

Instantly I had flashbacks to Mario Kart 64's bomb karts, where eliminated players in battle mode could become a bomb on wheels and try to collide with someone for one last point of damage out of pure spite, no reward whatsoever for the bomb kart player. I think something in this vein would be a perfect fit to Dungeon Run.

I am going to toss out some random ideas that may want refining, but the idea here is to keep playerson the board as ghosts who have no means of returning to life to win and can have only a small impact on the game.

1) You drop your equipment when defeated as normal. You also lose all abilities on cards and your hero sheet, and all stat upgrades from advancing. You must spend a turn to stand up as normal. Flip your hero sheet over to indicate you are a ghost.

2) for the rest of the end game, you receive activations as normal, but the following actions are unavailable to you: search, equip, advance.

3) Monsters will not attack you and you may not attack monsters. A monster will not prevent you from attacking a hero on the same tile.

4) you may assist and sabotage as normal, but others may not assist or sabotage you unless they too are ghosts.

5) Your stats are as follows: brawn 0, magic 2. You do not take wounds, and you automatically succeed at escape tests.

I will give this a try next time. Seems mostly harmless but also amusing and befitting the social/backstabby/vengeful theme. If it has no effect at all, might make it more powerful, but i think just sabotaging and assisting should provide an immediate though small damage swing.

The dynamic will change a little as you will not want to kill someone willy nilly and have them haunt you for the rest of the game.

Feel free to make suggestions.
    Playdek ID: Adam Palma
    Your mom's a cat!

We tried this tonight. My test subjects insisted that the ghost get some movement bonus, so we allowed them to walk through walls and to walk through empty spaces between tiles at no additional action cost.

Only one person died. I was Stabbins and got the stone while holding a flaming sword. I had two training tokens for brawn and the assassinate ability. Vargagg still nearly killed me on his turn due to fury, but I killed him on mine.

One would expect a ghost to be vengeful, but the proud, brave orc felt he would be shamed more if he was beaten by a puny goblin that some goat then took care of, so he actually sabotaged Birodin as soon as he got a chance to delay his escape from a monster I summoned! I then easily escaped the other two players who had been playing patty cake at the entrance for several turns waiting for the stone.

All in all, the variant had a light impact if any but was amusing and kept everyone involved to the end, so we counted it a success and will continue toying with it.
    Your mom's a cat!

That's a great idea. I love it!

I think it's awesome. I always hate it in a game when you get elimenated and just have to sit there waiting for a turn that will never come.
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

Dungeon Run is not like that. If you die, you will wait ten minutes max and it will be enjoyable to watch because that is when everyone's true nature comes out. This was more for extra fun than to "fix a problem" per se. Of course, that is my experience. Others may have longer end games or are just less patient, in which case I hope this does fix the issue for them!

Might try giving each hero a minor ghost ability down the line, but no ideas at the moment.
    Your mom's a cat!

I would recommend a Ghost Ability deck. One Random ability per Ghost.
    Uncleeurope was Hulgorad the Sad in RALLUL'S BANQUET
    Uncleeurope was The Seer who Drank too Much Beer in The Great Marsh
    Uncleeurope was Prince Elien the Felon in The 12 Masks of the Summoner
    Uncleeurope was Matt E. the Fatty in The Dance of Devils

In other news, CUSTOMS!
    Quote Originally Posted by I LIKE TAU!
    As for what I hate most: ... Uncleeurope.
    Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sam Farthen is OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterd View Post
    He just rams in, his games last 5 turns...tops

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Dungeon Run is not like that. If you die, you will wait ten minutes max and it will be enjoyable to watch because that is when everyone's true nature comes out. This was more for extra fun than to "fix a problem" per se. Of course, that is my experience.
    I know dungeon run isn't as such, but I don't like even sitting there with nothing to do for any amount of time. I just don't see the appeal of watching other players do things when I can't strategize my next move or do something productive.
    Wait a minute... you guys don't use Rahlee in all your Prince Elien decks? But she can FLY!!!!!
    "If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your BS."
    -Anonymous
    Member of the INFAMOUS PHG Debate Team.

Ghost Abilities:

Increase 1 Magic.
    You can attack heroes.
    You can Assist for the full amount instead of half.
    You can Sabotage for the full amount instead of half.
    Take two more abilities.
    Call me Zeb.

Member of the Unofficial Plaidhatgames Debate Team!