Thread: Home-brew Stories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Home-brew Stories

I have played M&M four times now (only making it through chapter two so far so no spoilers) and I'm already thinking of making a home-brew storyline. Has anyone else put any thought into something like this? Here is one of my favorite ideas so far, let me know what you guys think. Please keep in mind I haven't finish sorrow and remembrance so I'm making a few assumption 1) collin and friends save the day, 2) Collin and friends are stuck as mice.

HB Story 1: The Siege of Farfield

Here is a rough draft of the Prologue

"It's been many seasons since Collin and the other castle mice came to Barksburg, but I'll never forget the deeds they performed on the summer after their arrival. Mother called us into her study one morning, where she had been meeting with two mice that arrived in the night. These mice were from Farsfield, a small city on the otherwise of the woods just outside the castle walls. Bixby (leader/scamp) wore a white hood and a rapier needle at her side and her companion Quinn (tinker) wore an odd pair of goggles on her forehead. Bixby explained to us that Farfield had come under attack from an army of rats and to make matters worse they had poisoned the towns water supply. We were all in agreement we needed to leave for Farcield at once."
    - from Lily's diary

I am already thinking up some ideas for chapters. Here is an idea of what I have so far.

Chapter 1: Into the Woods

The mice need to make their way through the woods. Bixby thinks they should take the treetops, as they will be the fastest. Collin, however, thinks it will be to dangerous, and thinks the mice should stay one the forest floor. Filch, who is somewhat smitten with Bixby (also I get the feeling he just doesn't like agreeing with Collin), agree that the treetops would be best. Tilda, who is concerned with the health of the sick mice, also thinks speed would be best (though she hates to agree with Filch on anything). Maginos, Nez, and Lily think Collins plan is favorable most because they cannot help Farsfield if they get hurt along they way.

Ultimately it will be up to the players to decide which path they take, but this important decision will have an affect on the rest of the story.

So that's kinda what I have so far. I'm thinking I'll need at least three more rat tokens so nine can be on the board at once. I also want to make up some new minions, as my group and i are already feeling a need for some more. So far i know a Bullfrog would make a great large minion (and yes bullfrogs do eat mice), but i'm still trying to think of a good small minion or two that would also work well with the base game. I'm also think some familiar faces, like olde crow, might make an appearance as well as several
    new faces like a fox kit (will he be an ally or a new Brodie? Or will it depend on the player's actions?)

Well let me know what you all think, one of the players in my group is a pretty good artist so I might post of prototype pictures at some point. I'll also keep you updated on additional chapters we're working on.

-Kodab
    Last edited by Kodab; 12-09-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Sounds like a great setup for an adventure!
    I'm Wininoid on the Summoner Wars app and @wininoid on twitter.

Kodab, you got some really good ideas there. You'll be interested to know that I do have a forest expansion planned.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
    Kodab, you got some really good ideas there. You'll be interested to know that I do have a forest expansion planned.
    Thanks for the encouragement grungebob. I can wait for the forest expansion. it will be interesting to compare what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Winin View Post
    Sounds like a great setup for an adventure!
    Thanks Winin. I'll be sure to post updates as I get em.

So I mentioned yesterday adding new minions. The more I thought about it the more I like the idea of a Bullfrog as a new large minion. Here's what I have come up with and a little bit of my reasoning behind it. If anyone has any sugestions or feed back let me know.

Large minion: Bullfrog

Ranged Attack: 2 Defense: 2

Special Ability: Tongue Grab (could use a snazzier name)
    "When a Bullfrog wounds a mouse, move that mouse towards the Bullfrog that many spaces."

So, this might not sound very treating but let me just add that I will almost certain be including some stream tiles for the forest, and don't forget that poison water supply at Farsfield (more on that later). This could potentially make getting sweep away by currents a whole thing. The attack is kind of a mesh between the cave centipede and spider, it is weaker then the centipede, but has range. Alternatively, I was thinking 3 ranged attack and 1 defense but that might be something I'll just have to play with. As for life, I think 3 hit points if his defense stays at two or 4 hit points if his defense drops to a 1.

As for a special boss frog, well that could be something like this:

Large named Bullfrog: Squish

ranged attack: 3 defense: 3

Special ability

Tongue grab: See Bullfrog

Swallow: "the first mouse that ends their turn adjacent to squish is captured."

Okay, so I just made this guy up on the spot here. I noticed that all of the minions seem to have a "boss" version (except roaches... Hmm I smell another boss in the works) so the bullfrog should have one too.

So finally I was looking for a good miniature I could use to represent he frog and so far the closest thing I could see to fitting would be one o the toad-like miniatures from the old WotC D&D sets. If anyone else knows of a good 20-22mm non-anthropomorphic frog mini let me know.

That does it for his update, i'll be back with more.

I would expect a bullfrog to be pretty tough compared to a spider/centipede, but fudge as necessary for gameplay. I like the pulling ability, especially when the mice have synergy being on the same space (i.e. I like that the minion can disrupt the mice group). The tongue grab could also leave them knocked them down after the move.

And for additional theme, you could have tadpole minions that are equivalent to aquatic cockroaches.
    I'm Wininoid on the Summoner Wars app and @wininoid on twitter.

So as I was laying out the chapters yesterday, I came across two problems. I'm curious if anyone else has run into these.

The first is the fact that I am adding a new "layer" to the game board. Instead of having an Underground (Blue) and Aboveground (Yellow). I also want to add, higher then above ground. This didn't work to well with only yellow and blue exits, especially if I wanted all three layers to be featured in a chapter. Originally, I was looking at the exits as "yellow represents a layer of the map that is above the blue." Lucky the solution seems to be look at it more like "Blue is below sealevel, Yellow is sealevel, and Green (my third exit color) is above sealevel." So a map tile will never have green on one side and blue on the other (unless sea level doesn't exist at that point... like a pit or something... that'd be cool), I hope that makes since. As I was thinking about this mechanic, I actually got a great idea: Artistically you could have the yellow layer blurred out underneath the green layer. So lets take the tree tops for example. If the yellow layer depicted a forest creek (similar to the sewer tile in the base game but with forest theme) and the flip location was climbing a tree, then the green layer could have a few solid branches on which the mice and minions could move but the background (area the players can move on) could be a blurred out image of the creek, giving the tile some "height."

So as I got to chapter four in my layout, I started to realize something. I had created eight new tiles, front and back, and I wasn't done. I am now considering how I can change the story line a tad to utilize the boards I already created a bit better or to even use more of the boards from the first game. I'll speak more on this later when I have the story a little more flushed out. That being said I play tested a chapter that I think is pretty good, but I want everyone (anyone, really) else's opinion. Keep in mind this isn't finished and could be completely broken. Also I make no claims to being a writer.

Previously in Chapter 1: Learning of the trouble in Farsfield, Collin, Bixby, and the rest of the mice entered the forest just outside the castle walls. Collin wanted to take the forest floor, but yielded to Bixby's insistence on taking the treetops. They fought their way along the branches until they came across Olde Crow's Nest, made from pilfered items around the castle. Tilda managed to find some thread and needle and Nez found a dinner fork. Unfortunately, the mice also found several elite rats attack one of Olde Crow's Chicks. Olde Crow returned in time to see the mice defending the chick and offered to give the mice a ride to Farsfield.

Chapter 2a: Air Raid

"From atop Olde Crow's back the mice could see rolling hills of the lands beyond the forest. "Look!", shouted Tilda above the rushing winds and pointing towards the fields, "There is the abbey I was raised in." The building was quickly shrinking as Olde Crow flew higher and higher. "This is quite high enough don't'cha think!" shouted Nez, when suddenly Olde Crow turned toward the abbey and dived. With a great stroke of her massive wings, Olde Crow pulled out of the dive just above the tall grasses of the fields. Moving at incredible speed towards the abbey. "Farsfield is built along the outer wall of the abbey," explained Bixby. Suddenly, an arrow whizzed past Olde Crow's head. Another ripped through one of her wings. She came crashing down in the fields and the mice were thrown from her back with a hard tumble. Collin was the first to come too, just as an army of rats surrounded the group.

Chapter Ovjectives: Escape into the city of Farsfield before the hourglass marker reaches the chapter end maker on the chapter track.

Victory Conditions: Clear the Farsfield Square tile of minions before the hourglass marker reaches the chapter end maker on the chapter track.

Defeat Conditions: If the hourglass marker reaches the chapter end marker on the chapter track before the mice have cleared the minions from the Farsfield Square tile, or if all mice are captured at the same time, the mice are defeated.

Chapter Setup:
    Chapter end: Place the chapter end marker on page 5 of the chapter track.

Party Setup: Select 4 mice to be in the party for this chapter.

Encounter Deck Setup: No encounter cards will be used for this chapter.

Room Tile Setup: (you will have to use your imagination for this part)

Room 5: The guard room will be the "Open Field", the mice will be starting on the space that is One down and one to the right of the grate. Ignore all exits and art on the tile. Minion entrance will be at each corner of the tile.

To the left of the Guard Room, place Room 1: The Courtyard. This will be the Farsfield Square Tile. There is a yellow exit connecting these two tiles, the only adjacent square on the courtyard tile is the flip location (Which isn't actually a flip location for this chapter). Also for this tile ignore the outer perimeter spaces (making the tile a 4x4 grid with one space at the yellow exit mentioned before), they are taken up by shop stalls and building fronts. Their is also going to a be a sewer flips space here but that won't be used for this chapter. Minion spawn points are, the space adjacent to the exit and the two corners furthest from the exit.

Special Chapter Rules:

Open Field (Starts with three elite rats)

1) Special Search: Catnip (any space) (because apparently it's a field of catnip?)

2) Special Surge: 3 Rats

3) Special Rule: Add a cheese counter to the cheese wheel at the end of each round as if there were no minions on the initiative track. A mouse cannot use the explore action while the story tracker is below page 3.

Farsfield Plaza (Stars with 3 rats)

1) Special Surge: 2 Rats

---------------------------------------------------------

So that's what I have so far. Try it out. Let me know what you think, did you come across something broken? Was there something you didn't like?

Kodab
    Last edited by Kodab; 11-21-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving! Family has been keeping me busy so I haven't had a chance to update recently. I just wanted to post a small update today, as I think I have a layout for the chapters in my story. These aren't final, and again I would love to get any feedback on these.

Prologue: The Siege of Farsfield - Like the prologue of Sorrow/Rememberance this will be a short story about Tip and Daz.
    Chapter 1: Gathering Supplies - The mice discover what has happened in Farsfield and enter the castle to gather supplies.
    Chapter 2: Through the Woods - The mice must choose one of two ways to traverse the woods just outside the castle walls.
    Chapter 3a: Air-Raid - The mice attempt to enter Farsfield on the backs of their new winged friends.
    Chapter 3b: Under Farsfield - The mice attempt to enter Farsfield through a fox's den.
    Chapter 4: Font of Life - The mice deliver the antidote to the watersupply of Farsfield.
    Chapter 5: Breaking the Siege - Aided by their new friends, The mice of Farsfield final face the leader of the rats in a final epic battle.

I'll probably take a short break from working on the story itself and will probably do a little more work on the new mice I want to add. I might also come up with some new card ideas.

That is some funny spam!
    Always the Mice Guy!