Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home-brew Stories

Sorry for the delayed update. The holiday season has been keeping me plenty busy.

So I have been thinking about character creation which has been kinda interesting. For example, from a purely mechanical prospective, Filch is OP. So essentially I created a chart to show the attributes of each mouse, then I also added a column for equipment and abilities. Now this is slightly off, as I have not taken into account the "usefulness" of the start abilities or equipment or the ability cards the mice have access to due to there class. For example, Nez may seem the weakest "Mechanically", but he has access to the tinker abilities and can tinker the hell outta mousetraps, etc... This created a chart that looks something like this

Mouse Attack Defense Lore Movement Equipment Abilities Total Class
    Collin 2 1 2 2 2 1 10 Leader, Warrior
    Maginos 1 1 3 2 1 1 9 Mystic
    Lily 2 2 1 2 1 2 10 Archer
    Filch 2 2 1 3 1 2 11 Scamp
    Nez 2 1 2 1 1 1 8 Tinker, Warrior
    Tilda 2 1 2 2 2 1 10 Healer

So I was thinking for Bixby I might do something like this

Bixby 2 2 2 2 1 1 10 Leader, Scamp

This would make her well rounded as a character but then she only begins play with the "stick". (I mean she has been out in the woods) As for her ability, maybe something like:

Resourceful: Upon a successful search, Bixby may draw three cards and select one to add to her backpack. The other are shuffled back into the search deck.

or perhaps

Resourceful: Upon a successful search, Bixby draws two cards instead of one.

the first one i find better balanced if you ad "any tretchery cards must be played"
    but that could just be me i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Knight View Post
    the first one i find better balanced if you ad "any tretchery cards must be played"
    but that could just be me i guess
    I thought about that, but what if she draws multiple tretchery cards. That line of thought is kinda what lead to the second option.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodab View Post
    I thought about that, but what if she draws multiple tretchery cards. That line of thought is kinda what lead to the second option.
    You could always balance it out by letting her draw two cards and keep both results or pick from 2 cards but i'd discard the one she didn't pick.
    Last edited by Ravenchild; 12-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Bixby is going to need some serious play testing to figure out which method works best. I'm liking the idea that while she has the potential to get more items, she also has the potential to cause more treachery. Now I had originally talked about having two mice join the party for this adventure, unfortunately for Quinn (the new tinker from the first post) the more I think about the setting I'm trying to set, the less she fits in from a thematic standpoint. Still I like the idea of her as a character and I think a character like this would have a ton of personality in a story, so this post is to show her a little love and who knows maybe someone else can take the idea and run with it.

Here's what I was thinking:

Name Attack Defense Lore Movement Equipment Abilities Total Class
    Quinn 1 1 3 1 3 1 10 Tinker

Coward: If an attack misses Quinn, she may immediately take a free scurry action. (Or something, I'm not really sure how I feel about an action being taken out of initiative)

Obviously Quinn isn't a fighter, she's a thinker. Her real strength comes from her starting equipment. Here's what I was thinking, and of course, she has her goggles:

Quinn's Goggles: +1 to attacks made with a weapon that requires a tinker

Matchstick: +1 melee attack with the ability "Add +3 to attack, but discard after use. Requires Tinker"

Quinn Special: (Picture idea: a steampunk looking box with apparently pointless gears, dodads, and thingamagigs on it) Has the ability "Select one column or row on the current mouses tile. Make an attack +4 against all mice, minions, and bosses in select row or column. Requires Tinker" Quote: "Just set it down, push the button, and watch it go." -Quinn

Wow I love these ideas. Matchstick is my favorite! What a thematic mouse weapon.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Wow, Quinn is AWESOME, are you still working on her? I have been trying to figure out another tinkerer character. I am starting out with the miniature and working backwards towards character traits and abilities, but your ideas would fit perfectly with the miniature I have picked out. It's the Mole Alchemist from Dark Sword Miniatures:

The coward ability could be that she "digs" herself a hole to hide in (alleviates some of your worries about actions being taken out of initiative, and still allows her to avoid any further attacks by minions)
    The goggles are awesome, I was wondering how to make reference to the glasses the mole is wearing.
    Matchstick is a super-cool weapon, and the spoon that the figure is currently holding could easily be modded to look like a match.
    And heck, the miniature itself is fairly gender-neutral, and I really like your idea of a female tinkerer. I think it could be painted to look more like a girl mole.

For the special ability, I am concerned about the "column/row" idea, since many of the tiles aren't laid out in an actual grid. I was thinking about an ability that lets her look through the search deck for a tinkerer item (like clockwork grenades). Like, every time she has an unsuccessful search or disarms a mousetrap, she gets a "junk" token, and when she accumulates enough useless junk, she can put it all together to build the grenade, or something like that.
    Last edited by breegull; 01-05-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breegull View Post
    For the special ability, I am concerned about the "column/row" idea, since many of the tiles aren't laid out in an actual grid. I was thinking about an ability that lets her look through the search deck for a tinkerer item (like clockwork grenades). Like, every time she has an unsuccessful search or disarms a mousetrap, she gets a "junk" token, and when she accumulates enough useless junk, she can put it all together to build the grenade, or something like that.
    I love the idea with the junk tokens. That could totally work.

Are you still working on this expansion? Did you ever finish & release it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12