Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KC's Battle Reports Thread

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    Yeah, I still think Shamans are really good too. Nice report.

Thwarters are pretty good in TO mirrors, unless they've got Shamans out.

I'm still not sure what the optimal ratio on commons is, because a double-smasher or double-charger Reinforce is really cool when it happens, but putting enough in the deck to assure yourself that you can pull that off will probably get rid of too many of your 1's.
    I agree. I feel like it's a choice between Smashers and Chargers, and I just don't see the need for another 1-attack unit, even if it can possibly reach the summoner quickly. I want at least 5x Smashers and at least 5x Shamans. I thought about mixing in some Chargers for Thwarters, just to get a surprise attack on a summoner here and there, though I never summoned the lone Charger that was in my deck on Saturday.

Maybe you could try this?

Fighter x2 (just the starters)
    Shaman x5
    Smasher x5
    Thwarter x3
    Charger x3

That way, half of the commons in your deck are 1's, and half are 2's. You have enough Smashers and Shamans to pack a big punch, enough Thwarters to annoy people and enough Chargers to try and get a surprise attack on a summoner.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

That seems like a reasonable break down. You might want to avoid putting Krung in the deck then, just to keep your cost a little lower since you have 7 2-costers in the deck after setup. Maybe Ragnor/Gruggar/Rukar, or Bragg/Sairook/Rukar. Something like that.

I'm still interested to see if a splash-y deck like that will outperform a more low variance, pure beef kind of TO deck, like going 10x Thwarter, 5x Smasher, 2x Fighter, 1x Shaman, and then whichever champions (including Krung) round it out.
    Last edited by Jexik; 01-12-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Got my first non-Orc reinforcement game in last night:

killercactus: Phoenix Elves
    wifeycactus: Tundra Orcs

Breakdown of the decks:

Fire Drake
    Kaeseeall
    Holleas

Warrior x6
    Archer x6
    Guardian x1
    Fire Beast x5

wifey played my exact tournament Orc deck above.

wifey won the toss but elected to defer. I used that first turn to kill both of her Fighters and Blaze back to my wall, which got me a couple magic. wifey could do nothing but reposition... and drop her other 2 walls. She loves to wall in her summoner, which she did. However, I had an answer. I brought out another Warrior and built to 7 magic with the Fire Drake in my hand, and dropped him next turn to start Breathing Fire through her walls at Grognack. I probably did 4 damage to him this way over the course of the game. wifey's draws and dice were very bad - Shamans were failing her all over the place and when she finally did get a Reinforcements, she could only muster Thwarter x2 (I don't know where her Smashers were - she might've grown weary of all the auto-wounds I was doing and built them). She came at me with Thwarters and Shamans, but I mobilized Elien quite a bit to Fire Blast them outta there (Thwarters really don't like Fire Blast). She built up to 7 magic the turn after she played Reinforcements, but again I had an answer. Instead of summoning a Fire Beast that turn, I Magic Drainer her, which she was visibly upset about.

The next turn, she built up her magic again and finally summoned Bragg, and Froze the Drake. She was visibly giddy about this - until I removed the Freeze, summoned a Fire Beast, played Spirit on the Drake, hit Bragg for 2 with my Beast, and killed him with the Drake - all in one turn. She was very angry with me about this.

Having used all of her magic on Bragg, she was left with basically just Grognack surrounded by his walls. I ran a Fire Beast around and got the Drake just behind him, with all 3 units in a straight line. I attacked with the Beast for 2 more wounds, and then Breathed Fire right through my Beast for the win. It couldn't have been much more lopsided. The first turn I took put her in a bad spot, and her draws / dice didn't really help the matter.

I'm like the Boise State of Summoner Wars - I have all of these wins against inexperienced players... I need to join a BCS conference.
    Last edited by killercactus; 01-18-2011 at 01:49 PM.

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    That seems like a reasonable break down. You might want to avoid putting Krung in the deck then, just to keep your cost a little lower since you have 7 2-costers in the deck after setup. Maybe Ragnor/Gruggar/Rukar, or Bragg/Sairook/Rukar. Something like that.

I'm still interested to see if a splash-y deck like that will outperform a more low variance, pure beef kind of TO deck, like going 10x Thwarter, 5x Smasher, 2x Fighter, 1x Shaman, and then whichever champions (including Krung) round it out.
    In my experience with other games, lower variance usually equals a stronger army/deck/whathaveyou. However, in Summoner Wars, I think the Build Magic phase really changes that. Now if you get a situational card in the wrong situation, you can just build it as magic and it strengthens your other cards. Then when you get it in the right situation, it's just awesome. As opposed to a game like Heroscape where, if you have Sudema in the wrong situation, you're in really bad shape.

I wish you could build Sudema for magic.

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    I used that first turn to kill both of her Fighters and Blaze back to my wall, and built a couple magic.
    there is a problem with this. if you took the first turn you are suppose to skip the draw step and thus you have no cards to build as magic. its meant to counter act the advantage of killing units first

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxas View Post
    there is a problem with this. if you took the first turn you are suppose to skip the draw step and thus you have no cards to build as magic. its meant to counter act the advantage of killing units first
    I meant that I got 2 magic from those 2 kills. I edited it though for clarity.
    Last edited by killercactus; 01-18-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Finally - I've lost a game where I wasn't playing Dwarves, and my opponent wasn't playing Orcs.

Mechabeast - Phoenix Elves (starters + 6 Fencer, 5 Fire Beast, 3 Guardian, Holleas, Laleya, Maelena)
    killercactus - Goblin Swarm

I knew from the get-go that this is a tough matchup for the Goblins. Dave's deck design probably made it even tougher than usual - Fencers and Fire Beasts are bad news for Goblins.

Even still, I made a close game out of this. An early Sly got me a kill and also got Sneeks a wound. I had trouble getting units into position to make lots of attacks since I didn't get my Goblin Rushes until later, and also didn't see Krag until later. Dave had more magic than he knew what to do with, and got Laleya and Maelena down quickly to defend Elien from my Goblin onslaught. Thankfully I was crowding his forward walls so he was forced to summon them in the back. Once I finally did get the Rushes, I played Rush and Invincibility, got some wounds on champs and used Sly. I knew that if he wanted some auto-wounds, he'd have to put Elien in harms way. He did that, and also had a Spirit to give Maelena, so Sneeks took 5 wounds anyway. I got my 3/3 on Elien though, putting him and Sneeks 1 wound away from death, and Slyed back outta there. I really only threatened once after that, and there was a turn where I could get a shot at Elien if a Fencer missed, but it didn't. It also didn't help that Mook was the 2nd to last card in my deck. He eventually killed all my Goblins and got Laleya, Holleas and a Fire Beast down to Sneeks to finish him off. A good game, though.

I ended up building Reeker for magic, which was fine as I had just enough to summon Krag (killed in one turn by Elien and a Spirited Laleya) and Mook. It makes me feel like I'd have rather had Blarf than Reeker, who I could've at least used as a wall or to soak up wounds. The deck doesn't really want to build a lot of magic, so I think Blarf is the better bet. I also think I'd have liked a Beast Rider or two to try and make a well-timed summoner assault. I think I might try that out.

I was also impressed by this PE deck, even though it was probably in it's best matchup. When I built that deck, I wondered whether or not a "weird" PE deck like this would even work (weird meaning no Warriors or Archers in the Draw pile). I think Dave still built 2-3 Guardians for magic, which tells me that they really do suck in comparison to the other Elf units.

I also added a table to the first post showing who I used and who my opponent's were.
    Last edited by killercactus; 04-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Two more battles to report:

killercactus - Dwarven Guantlet
    phantazm21zero - Phoenix Elves (starters + 6 Fencer, 5 Fire Beast, 3 Guardian, Holleas, Laleya, Maelena)

I started out by having Oldin cannibalize my Engineer for magic, and killing his Warrior with my Spearman. phantazm plays a pretty aggressive game, and summoned lots of commons to come after me. He also mobilized Elien early to strike down Defenders and Spearmen that I had advanced into his zone. I felt like I finally learned how to play the Dwarves in this game - I used Defenders judiciously to tie down his units by his walls and was able to maneuver Oldin around and take pot shots without fear of retaliation. I also summoned very sparingly - using Reinforcements well to get out my Guardsmen and Spear Grounders. Pretty early in the game, he left Elien a bit exposed, and I had 4 magic, Baldar, and Heroic Feat. I thought the game would be over, but Baldar only went 1/5. He was killed quickly by the Precise Elves. I got another wound through eventually with a Spear Grounder on Elien, but I missed what felt like quite a few attacks on the low-life Elvish summoner. My Defenders and Guardsmen did their job though - not allowing the Elves to threaten Oldin really at all, and I finally got Gror out with a Heroic Feat to finish the job. I think I'm going to introduce phantazm to Cave Goblins, since he really likes to flood the board with commons.

I now have at least one win with each faction, and one win over every faction if you count my team game against the Dwarves - yay!

killercactus - Fallen Kingdom (straight out of the box except with Malevolence instead of Dragos)
    wifeycactus - Me Like Big Orcs, with a Charger in for a Shaman

I'm really beginning to understand just how difficult the Fallen Kingdom are to play well. You really have to be on your toes to get the most out of this faction.

I got a magic early on by using my Archer to kill her Fighter, and I retreated my Reaper to guard Ret. She got my Zombie early, though I killed the Smasher before it threatened, but not before it got my Reaper for 2 wounds. I screwed up here - I should've killed my own Reaper and used Ret to kill the Smasher. Instead I took an attack at her Ice Wall (which she got ALL 3 OF on the first turn), and let her get the magic for my Reaper, which also takes it out of my discard pile for Raise. Anyway, I built to 7 magic since I had Mal early, but then I drew Forced Summon and decided that was better at the moment, so I forced her out and used her to kill a Shaman. Wifey ran Grognack away, got Mal once with an Ice Shard, and started advancing a Thwarter and a Fighter to my side of the board. The only commons I seemed to be able to draw were Reapers, which I built for magic but eventually Raised to protect Ret. I used a Dark Sacrifice to heal Mal and destroy a couple Reapers, but Raised them very soon after and killed her Fighter to get a Reaper to 2 attack. The next turn, her Thwarter made it to Ret and got a wound, and she Froze Ret and an Archer I'd managed to get out. She also moved Grognack further away from Mal, but close to my wall. I summoned Elut by destroying my frozen Archer and he went 2/4 on Grognack. That meant though that I couldn't un-Freeze Ret, and I didn't notice that he was within 2 spaces of one of her Ice Walls that had 2 wounds, but I left alone earlier because I didn't want to wound Mal to kill it. I also didn't notice that I had an one more unit on the board than she did.

She played Reinforcements to drop a Smasher and another common somewhere else, and the Smasher finished off Ret. I couldn't believe I lost so carelessly when I had a healthy Mal AND Elut-Bal on her side of the board chasing Grognack down. The next turn I was going to back Ret into the corner and play Legions of the Dead to wall him in with Reapers, and I think I would've been good, but I was too careless. Wifey deserved the win.

Got another game in with wifey:

Killercactus - Vanguards(starters + standard champs + Priest, Archer x8, Knight x4)
    Wifey - Dwarven Guantlet

I turtled early, built lots of magic and tried to deny her catchups. My lone Priest did lots of healing on commons. I got Archangel very early and got 4 wounds on Oldin out of him, thanks to Intercession keeping him alive. Gror came down though and used Heroic Feat to take him down. Wifey showed her propensity to summon commons instead of champs again and be careful with her heroes, being content to rush commons at me and leave Gror as a bodyguard. At the end of the game she greatly outnumbered me, but I got Kalon down and was able to wall off Sera eventually, though she was up to 5 wounds. Kalon basically killed every common, with a couple of shots from Sera along the way and lots of Greater Healing. I'd plunked away at Gror for 2 wounds before that, and Kalon took him one on one. He then put the last wound or 2 on Oldin for the win. A true VG style grind.

3 more games in over the last week against 3 new players. I'm doing what I can to get some people around me into this game.

killercactus - Disease of the Dead
    Jimmy - Me Like Big Orcs, with a Charger in for a Shaman

I had some really tough draws in this game - all of my events came early and my champs came late. I summoned commons sparingly while I tried to help Jimmy learn the ropes, and trying to avoid Reinforcements. I got Elut-Bal down about mid-game and kept him back instead of charging him at Grognack since he had some magic to play with. He summoned Rukar and took Elut down in one turn with a 4/3 from Rukar and a hit from a Smasher. He started to advance Grognack with the rest of his Orcs methodically, and I snuck a hit through on him at some point. Eventually Jim had all 3 champions down and pressing hard on my side. I thought I'd surprised him with Malevolence though, and put 3 more wounds on Grognack (bringing him to 4). He then retreated Grognack, blocked Mal in with 2 Thwarters, and Froze her, which was a truly brilliant play. In a last ditch effort, I got a Vermin back to Grognack, Plagued him and hit him for 1, putting him at 6 wounds. This made me really angry as I had a shot at Grognack earlier with an Archer that I passed on to attack Ragnor. He killed the Vermin and Ragnor overcame my common wall and killed Ret. Jimmy said that he really liked the game and wants to play again soon - awesome.

killercactus (Cave Goblins - Fighter x8, Slinger x6, Climber x3, Berserker x1, Mook, Eater, Scagg)
    KC's brother (Dwarven Guantlet)

I finally got my brother into a game. I gave him what I think is the best faction right now, and I took probably my worst faction. On top of that, I had really crappy dice. I did the swarm thing, putting lots of wounds on his forward wall early. He dropped Gror, Feated, and blew up the whole middle of the board. I swarmed Gror for 4 quick wounds until everything was blown up again. I then had lots of chances to kill Gror, and it never happened thanks to my 1s and 2s. I made my big push getting a Berserker and 2 Fighters adjacent to Oldin with a Rush, and played Invincibility and Slyed in Sneeks, but he was able to back Oldin out, play a wall to block him and completely wall him off with the seemingly invincible Gror. I never really threatened again. Gror survived the whole game, and all 3 champs were down again when he won it - he killed every common unit in my deck, and Scagg to boot (I had to build Mook AND the Eater as I just couldn't get magic). My brother said he thinks the game is pretty cool and would probably be up for another play.

killercactus (Disease of the Dead)
    Jon (Blaze of Glory)

I played the FK a bit better this game, but only won because of Jon's inexperience. Again I got 2 of my 3 Dark Sac's very early and was forced to build them. I was able to stay stable most of the game while denying him Magic Drain. He started pushing mid-game after I had Mal down, who I kept on my side of the board. He brought Elien with him, and gave me a shot at Elien with my Forced Elut-Bal, but I only got 2 wounds. He killed Elut with some PE auto wound shenanigans, and I tried to then press with Mal, but he blocked her off with a wall. Eventually he got Holleas down and started bringing Fire Beasts out. I didn't get Magos until late and had to build him, and he got the Fire Drake down at the end of his deck. I had to use Zombies to block up stuff so the Drake couldn't burn Ret. All this time though he'd been pressing with Elien also, so that Holleas, Drake, Elien, a Warrior and a Fire Beast were bearing down on me. However, that allowed me to get a Zombie up to Elien for a wound, and put him in a spot where he really couldn't escape being attacked again next turn, and Ret finished him off. Had he just left Elien in the back and came at me with his 2 champs and Fire Beasts, I think I lose. Jon enjoyed the game a lot though, wants to play next week and is considering a VG/FK purchase.

Woo-hoo for more players! I think I'm going to charge games of SW for doing peoples' taxes every year!
    Last edited by killercactus; 04-25-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast