Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: KC's Battle Reports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
    Sometime around this point, I built my last Magic Drain as magic since I couldn't see myself getting back under in units, and held a Warrior in my hand, along with Greater Burn (my last 2 cards). I didn't really realize what implications building that Magic Drain would have, but it was probably the best thing I could've done, as that probably left tns believing I was holding onto it instead of a common.
    Well met. That's precisely what happened.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by thenightsshadow View Post
    Well met. That's precisely what happened.
    I wish I could say I was smart enough to plan that all out, but I really just decided to build the MD because I didn't see my unit count getting under yours and I wanted to make sure I could unfreeze the FD if I needed to (you hadn't frozen him yet, but I actually was anticipating Bragg + multiple freezes on someone). When you started attacking your own walls, I got the feeling that you didn't have too much to come at me with in terms of units.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Updated my table with some games over the weekend and last night.

I had Gem Mages and Savagers all over the place to twice take down the Vargath virtually by themselves. My Abua managed to weasel his way out of my first loss again on a technicality as Sunderved went down to Makeinda Ru after my opponent thought that my Archers could shoot over walls. My new-look Vanguards took it to the Benders. Heaven's Rain really wrecks Benders, and a 3/3 on Tacullu from Jacob before he was Counter-Summoned really helped. Jacob basically won that one on his own, though the Cavalry Knights and Angels helped flank him and keep the Benders contained. Lastly, my Sand Goblins lost a nail-Biter (pun intended) to the Deep Dwarves. Krusk got a bit too agressive and tried to Sandstorm Tundle, and my opponent (Jebuh214) went 5/5 attacking him that turn. And then Biter went 0/3 attacking a 1-life Sprog, and I couldn't recover.

In my second team game ever, phantazm and I won, but I really didn't have a whole lot to do with it except giving the SE some magic. My Vlox was killed very quickly by the Vargath, but I poured all of my resources into the SE, who got all 3 champs out and was able to basically take out Sunderved and Mugglug by themselves.
    Last edited by killercactus; 07-27-2011 at 08:51 AM.

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

Man - haven't touched this thread in a while.

Here's my battle report from Sunday's tournament in Elyria, OH. Along with the local guys who had a pretty good showing, we also got Truth, Jexik, joepinion and Clarissimus to come up and game with us.

We were playing 5 for Fighting, and my strategy was simple: Play my good stuff early to try and give myself a chance in Rounds 4 and 5. That's the opposite of what most people do, and it meant I had to trust myself with a couple factions I'm not that good with.

I wanted to use decks I haven't used in a tournament up to this point. I got 3 factions in that I haven't used in tourney play before - PE, GD and CL. Here's my games for the day:

KC - Phoenix Elves (Elien, Fire Drake, Laleya, Holleas, Firebeast x5, Warrior x5, Fencer x4)
    joepinion - Sand Goblins (Standard?)

This game opened with something I didn't expect - joe killing a couple of his own units with a Scavenger to make it a beast. I got Holleas early, which meant I was going to try to get her down and drop a couple of cheap Firebeasts. However, I didn't really get a good opportunity to do that. We ended up really just sitting around for a while. Sometimes I wound summon a Warrior to kill something and Blaze back. He came at my walls and threw some Shiny stuff at them until he summoned Biter to charge into my zone. He got an attack on Holleas and went 1/3. I immediately killed him with SotP x2 and a Firebeast. After that, joe was kinda short on magic, and I was preparing the Fire Drake to shoot through our wall of walls to get at his units, but then he left Krusk open. I dropped the Drake and SotP for 3 wounds. Kreep came down as a counter, but ran away immediately (Kreep - the POOPING!). That allowed the Drake and Laleya to end the game.

1-0

Round 2
    KC - Guild Dwarves (Oldin, Baldar, Grungor, Gror, Defender x6, Spearman x4, Spear Grounder x3)
    JustJosh - Tundra Orcs (lots of Chargers - that's all I know)

I had a knack for playing pretty slow today, and that's what was happening again. Josh was summoning some commons to attack me, and I was locking them down and killing them with Defenders / Spearmen / Oldin. Beseige the Walls kept the Ice Walls under control. Fairly early I had Grungor in hand with 2x Heroic Feat, and on a turn where Josh only had a magic or two to work with, I Charged Grungor down at Grognack. His Shaman that he summoned to hit him missed, and I busted my 2 HF's and also got a Spearman up there for a 5/10 on Grognack. During this, a couple of Chargers were harrassing Oldin for a wound or two, but Baldar came down to help him clear them off. Eventually I got Gror down, who literally cleared the board. He went 2/2, which killed a couple walls and 2 Shamans, leaving Grognack against the world with no walls. Gror and the rest of the dwarves mopped up.

2-0

Round 3
    KC - Sand Goblins (Krusk, Biter, Silts, Kreep, Shaman x7, Jav x6)
    Scott - Benders (Standard)

I hate the Benders. However, I realized that the SG are actually pretty decent in this matchup. Javenlieers are very strong against their ranged units - able to stay on the SG side and pick off commons without really being threatened. The game moved a bit slowly until a Breaker came down and just wouldn't die. She broke Biter (saved), Mirage (not saved), and I think 2 other cards I didn't care about before she died. Sorgwen came out on my side of the board with a Deceiver clogging things up, but I was able to wall her in until she was killed. Once that was unclogged, I was able to get a couple of Shaman shots at Tacullu making use of Escape, dealing 2 wounds. Tacullu ran away, but it's really hard to get away from Silts. He came down and caught Tacullu for another wound. On the next turn, Silts was able to switch Tacullu (stabby stabby) into a spot where he could be attacked by Silts, a Jav, and a freshly summoned Kreep, all of whom finished off Mr. Red Path.

3-0 (that's where the luck stopped)
    Round 4
    KC - Deep Dwarves (Tundle, Lun, Kynder, Sairook, Gem Mage x8, Scholar x3, Owl x2)
    Clarissimus - Guild Dwarves (Standard, with Guardsmen in for Engineers)

This was a very swingy game. It started very slowly with me coming off on the wrong end of the slow exchanges. I was stuck with Sairook and 4 events in my hand for quite a while. I usually build Sairook when I draw him early, but I decided to hang onto him here as I really thought I would need all 3 champs to survive this. Sairook came down and helped clean up the board. That is, until Gror came down and a double BtW took out my only wall. Sairook blocked Gror off until I could get another Wall down, but then was killed before I could Shadow Summon. However, on my next turn, Lun, Tundle, and a Scholar finished off Gror quickly after Rook had put 2 wounds on him. When that happened, I felt a lot better about my chances, even though Baldar was coming for Tundle. I blocked him off with a wall and also got Kynder out. With Thorkur looking, the board fairly free of Guild Dwarves and CMus without the 6 magic to summon Thorkur, I smelled blood. I Called up a Gem Mage to attack Oldin, who hit for 2 wounds with Lun and Kynder pressing. However, I'd missed that I left Tundle open for a wall - got too excited about attacking. A Defender came out and, with 2 Heroic Feats, went 5/5 to kill Tundle and end the game rather abruptly. I think I had a good shot if I didn't leave Tundle open there, but alas.

3-1

Round 5
    KC - Cloaks (Vlox, Violet, SinSin, Dagger, Scrapper x5, Thief x4, Gunner x2, Sniper x2)
    Adam - Swamp Orcs (Standard)

This was a bit of a strange game. After we killed our starting units (some genocide, some homocide), we both just sat there for a while building up magic. Eventually, holding Dagger, I summoned a Sniper to shoot at a Vine Wall. She killed it, and Splub came after her, getting a Vine Wall in my back row. I dropped Dagger as Splub took the bait, but only went 2/5 with him. He brought Glarg out and tried to use Splub to kill my Cloaked Thief, who failed. Glarg hit Dagger for a couple wounds. On my turn, I Cloaked Vlox in case I didn't kill Splub...

and then I screwed up.

I shot Splub for 3 wounds with Vlox and the Thief, getting him to 5. At that point, I decided to kill him with Dagger instead of backstabbing Glarg. I should've just Backstabbed Glarg and let Splub come after my Cloaked Vlox if he wanted. Instead, my next backstab on Glarg only went 2/5 again, and Adam dropped a couple Savagers to charge my guys and kill Dagger (he summoned Splub, Glarg, and 3 Savagers in this game. 2 Savagers - including the starting one - were assassinated). I countered with SinSin and tried to use his Savager to kill Glarg, but I couldn't get the job done. Eventually Savagers closed in on Vlox and killed him, however he was out of cards and I had Violet coming out next turn. Glarg was at 5 wounds, and both Savagers out were almost dead. If I survived that turn, I had a good shot at killing off his units and going at Mugglug with Violet and Vlox, which gives me a decent chance. Ahh well - you know you didn't play very well as the Cloaks when you don't use Master of the Art at all.

3-2, 3rd place finish thanks to great SoS.

CMus went 5-0 to win the tourney (congrats, Joe!), and Adam went 4-1 for a second place finish. Joepinion finished 3-2 in 4th place, so I had the 1,2 and 4 finishers on my card, giving me 3rd place and a Mercenaries deck from the prize table, generously donated by Truth (awesome!). Thanks to everyont that came - especially Josh for running the event and to you guys that drove in from other states!

This leaves me with exactly 5 factions I've never put on the table at a tournament (VG, MV, BE, FL, MR), so I guess I know what I'm running in my next 54F! Can't wait!
    Last edited by killercactus; 02-21-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910