Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Gencon 2012 Adventure (or who the heck is AJ S?)

Default My Gencon 2012 Adventure (or who the heck is AJ S?)

I came to Gencon to play Summoner Wars. Playing Heroscape was an added bonus, but my primary objective in travelling from New York to Indiana was to play Summoner Wars.

Why? Because I rarely get to play against other human players. My friends don't want to play with me because I beat them too badly, and I'm not really into the non-tactile versions of S Wars. I'm a fingers man.

So anyway, while I was walking through the dealer's hall I saw Colby at the Plaid Hat stand and I turned to my girlfriend and said, "Oh my God- That's... the guy." She said, "The guy? You mean- the guy." I said, "Yeah. The guy. Him. The creator." She said, "Well let's go over there!" So I shook Colby's hand and as it turns out he's a human being and not a God. Still great to meet the 'guy' himself.

My girlfriend went to amuse herself with various things, and I started my first tournament. 4x4.

Heroscape, that is. Didn't do well, but made some friends. Caught up with some of the North Eastern gamers. Was able to see the faces of people who had previously been represented by a screen name and an avatar.

Then came the Starter Decks only tournament. My Filth deck was the only one which I hadn't made any alterations to, so I decided to use that one for the tournament. Taking cards out of sleeves is a real pain.

First round was against a small boy with Phoenix Elves. Won. Then came Clarrisimus with Mountain Vargath. Won. Then Cody with Jungle Elves. This was a stall war and honestly the only reason I won was because I wasn't the one to go on the offensive first. Getting 5 of 5 on Shikwa with the Claw Mutant helped, as well.

The final was against the PE small boy's brother, who we will call SG small boy. The game ended with a group of mutants and Abomination bearing down on Krusk, who was inside 3 mirage'd walls. After breaking a the wall down I moved Abomination up to the newly vulnerable Krusk. Rolled for Abomination... 6. 6 attack. Okay. Then I rolled my 5 dice (Cave Goblin dice, btw)... 5 hits. Okay. I'll reroll one of those dice... another hit. Dead Krusk. As that other guy James said, that's the way to end a tournament. He also sharply scolded me for not yelling ABOMINATION! before the aforementioned event.

What can I say? I'm a quiet guy.

Got some prizes and made a little bit of a name for myself. Cool. After that I sang Reptilia by The Streaks on Rock Band in the video game room. Fun times. After that we went shopping for bathing suits so we could go in the pool at the hotel, though I hate swimming. I agreed to go in the pool on the terms that my girlfriend buy a 2 piece bathing suit (she's embarassed...).

Friday. A solid day of Summoner Wars. Pick Your Poison, hour break, then 4x4.

For Pick Your Poison I chose Cloaks and Jungle Elves. They seem about even. Sure. And they both have ways to screw over Elien. Sure.

First game was against Wookie's Filth. He chose my Cloaks. Everyone was really excited when I played my Owl Familiar late game for kicks. It was nice to see an owl in a world of humans and mutants, I guess.Won. He tried writing Sir Dendrik as my name on tournament record card and I said, "No! They don't know me by that name here!"

It then occurred to me that I should probably tell people that I'm esper88 and see if I recognize anyone. I found the nightsshadow and retroactively realized I had beaten Clarissimus the day before. Cool. Still don't know who the tournament director James is, though. Probably a nameless employee of Plaid Hat.

Next round against PE small boy. He chose my Cloaks again. Won. Owl Familiar to Spy to Fire Drake in an early grave.

Next round I faced the random Plaid Hat employee James. He had Benders and Sand Goblins- After a little bit of thought I picked the Sand Goblins. He picked my Jungle Elves, probably half because he didn't want me to have to play Cloaks all day. I got an early Kadara out and did some work with her early game, staying back with Abua. He sent Biter and Silts in. I managed to kill Silts and a common- one of the many that were now choking my starting wall.

Here's where I misplayed- I've searched for the pivotal misplay, and this was it: I forgot that Biter was crazed. I avoided moving Abua forward to kill a common, using a lioness instead. The lioness was on the bottom of my starting wall. Had I moved Abua up and the lioness up to get a third attack in, the game might have been different. Kadara went down, somehow Abua got 4 wounds. James left the lioness where it was and blocked off the other 3 spots on my wall, nullifying the pile of magic I had. The wall was destroyed soon after (I think...)

From there I scrambled to get to a new wall, and I managed to get Miti out to give Kreep a run for his money, who poised to attack Abua. I pushed toward Krusk with Maikenda, which is my second misplay. Had I hid Abua behind Maikenda to prevent him from being attacked my new summmons, then Kreep wouldn't have been able to catch Abua just yet.

In the end James won, something he would gloat about to everyone he met for the next day and half. That's alright- I'm just glad he got out of the Plaid Hat Factory. Cutting out cards must get really old.

Final game... I don't remember, actually. But I won with the Cloaks... Hm... Can't remember.

I forgot to eat during the hour break. Ah well. Had some Gushers in my pocket. Gave me a stomach ache, but that's alright.

4x4. First game was my Fallen Kingdom against a guy's Sand Goblins. I spent the beginning of the game leaving all of his starting Javilineers/Scavengers with one life, and I spent the rest of the game killing them with Anica. I stole at least 5 magic, if not more. I won.

Next up was my Phoenix Elves vs. Barliman's Benders. He left Taculla open, so I sent a Fire Beast with 1 life left to Hellfire him, and after it died I shot him with Holleas for 2 more damage. I looked at the board and said, "Well, since this is the Phoenix Elves I know I'm going to win..." I Greater Burn'd a common to open a lane so my Laleya could Spirit of the Phoenix Taculla's remaining lives.

Next up was my Tundra Orcs vs. thenightsshadow's Phoenix Elves. We both cut back on units early game and waited for catch ups, which was kind of lame. After a bit I decided to build my Reinforcements, as only Elien was on his side. Then I brought out Bragg. I had 3 Freeze's in my hand and I was thinking, "I just have to wait for him to play a champion and then the ice of the lowest level of hell shall break loose..." Then I thought, "Hey... I can play these on Elien, can't I?" So I dropped 3 Freezes on Elien and proceeded to swarm with those beefy TO commons everyone loves. He gave a noble try at recovering, but those 3 freezes were too much. I win.

The final. I picked the Benders because Mimic can answer the Guild Dwarves and the Benders are kind of anti-meta against the Guild Dwarves and the Guild Dwarves were who I was expecting to face in the finals.

But I faced thenightshadow's brother's Mountain Vargath. Okay. In the beginning we danced around, and I utilized Decievers/Stone Golems/Mind Controls to da max. That new retribution Champion was very mean to my Stone Golems. Then I got out Sorgwen and started spamming 4 attack Controllers/Mind Witches. Eventually it came down to a full health Torodin and a half life Sunderved against Sorgwen, a Controller, and Taculla. They all teamed up to kill Torodin, giving me the final magic necessary to summon Khan Queso. However, the trade off was that Sunderved now had a shot on Taculla, who only had 3 life left. He rolled... 2 hits! Next turn my remaining units ripped Sunderved a new one. I won.

It's at this point that James started telling everyone that I was 11-1, and that the 1 was him. I had made a bit of a name for myself, I guess. I considered wearing a target on my back the following day, as I was now the person to beat.

That night we got a chinese buffet for $7 a person. I honestly don't know how that place stays open, but it was amazing.

The next morning I played Heat of Battle Heroscape with a mess of 4th Mass. I said, "If I lose, it's because of me. If I win, it's because of the 4th Mass." And that's how it felt as I went 4-0 and entered the finals against Dok. Like 7 4th Mass died because of lava, and that was pretty much the end of the game. I won a master set, which is cool.

Faction Supremacy. I picked Mercs because Mercs are good against the Guild Dwarves... right? Sure. They can bring back their walls, they must be.

So um... this was when I discovered that I'm terrible wit da Mercs. I was under the impression that generating magic advantage with Etch/Rune Mages can win games, but it really can't. Spamming Stone Golems because they're so freakin' cool doesn't work, either. So um... yeah...

Phoenix Elf boy beat me, which was startling to him, as I had won 2 tournaments. Then I beat his dad's Vanguards, which gave me hope. But that hope was extinguished when an ios convert's PE beat me handily, despite my Rune Mage stealing about 5 magic and Etch generating about 5 magic. Finally there was a mirror match against another guy, and he beat me, too. The spell was broken. I was no longer the semi-undefeated champion. Now I was the thoroughly defeated champion. Oh well.

I met up with a guy named Pickle from the Heroscape site and got a Master Chi Woo from him for $35, which completes my Heroscape collection. Awesome.

After another night in the hotel, we headed back to New York. There, I got on a computer and wrote this very post.
    Last edited by esper88; 08-23-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Pros

-met Colby
    -got to see the faces of the people on this site who I've been talking to for so long
    -won a heck of a lot of Summoner Wars and Heroscape merch
    -didn't have to play Summoner Wars against myself for a whole weekend
    -made everyone think I always wear d-bag blue sunglasses on my head
    -Dok was sitting next to me facing someone else in Heat of Battle and he said, "Jeeze, I've been wearing my sunglasses on my head this whole time? Why didn't you tell me? I look like a tourist." Coincidence or passive aggression? You Decide.
    -got the reinforcement packs before you. Muhahaha.
    -meeting the many great people who play this game and other sappy things like that
    -saw a midget[/spoiler][/CODE][/SPOILER]

Cons

-Gencon
    Did you know? Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack.

BTBAM is offline Loves the cheese. And vlogging! Geek Swagger extraordinaire. Record holder for most User titles.

Yea, I read it all.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

Good stuff, esper, and congrats on the wins! I should be there next year so it shouldn't be so easy.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

BTBAM is offline Loves the cheese. And vlogging! Geek Swagger extraordinaire. Record holder for most User titles.

I should be in some events next year as well, so it has the possibility of being even easier.

Okay, you're making me wanna do my report.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

Great report! Wish I could go to a tourny sometime.
    Killer Lawnmower was Yoyu the XXVII in Keep of the Necronomicon.
    Killer Lawnmower was Scam in The Admiral's an Idiot.
    Killer Lawnmower Storytold in Operation GoldenEye.
    Killer Lawnmower was Ambrose "Wildshot" Kent of Quimby in The Hall of Statues.
    Killer Lawnmower was Khexhu in Rallul's Banquet.
    Killer Lawnmower was Cadet Nathanial in The Great Marsh.
    Killer Lawnmower was Tacullu in The Twelve Masks of the Summoner.

CoRT: 6-9 (+Storyteller x1)

My regret is that I did not get to visit the events area for SW or HS. I got just a couple of hours off and I spent it demoing a couple of games and hunting down gifts for my kids who always expect me to bring them something.
    Always the Mice Guy!

Poor James...

Also, I'm recommending you for the title of "fingers man."
    Carl the Sword Grounder has seen worse than . . .
    Rallul's Banquet
    Harrumff.

Awesome, proud that a PHG.com'er dominated, it proves we as a community aren't stupid. I hope everyone who participated writes something like this, I will read them all. Great job. Love that you bucked the GD trend and still dominated.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast