Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of design questions

Default A couple of design questions

First off, let me say I'm a big fan of this game and I'll be demoing it in my LFGS in the coming weeks to hopefully start a following. The integration of card game flow with minis style combat is quite intriguing and in my opinion wholly original.

I did have a couple of questions, however, on a some of the decisions with the design.

First is a small issue. Is there a reason why the attack value was given the placement on the upper left of the card field?

Traditionally the cost of cards takes one of the corners. To further confuse the game trained eye the range symbol is directly next to the cost. I can definitely see this as being a source of confusion in the coming weeks of demos. Yes the most important number on the card is the largest, but it still feels awkwardly placed.

Second is a larger game play scope issue, and one that could easily be explained by further mechanics unseen in the base sets.

Why does the draw phase happen at the beginning of the turn instead of at the end?

Some of the readers of this post may be scoffing at me right now, wondering why it would matter. My thinking is for game play speed mainly. If the draw phase were at the end of the turn after Build Magic you would have your opponents whole turn to formulate your strategies, changed of course by what your opponent may be up to. Perhaps I'm over thinking this, and perhaps the amount of time a player would save would be minimal. I don't have any real play test time under my belt, so what do I know.

And again, the current set up would make more sense if you had some React style Events in the offing. Where an empty hand might mean "go go go" for your opponent.

Just curious, really.
    Last edited by manick74; 01-09-2010 at 03:52 AM.

The most important most used number has the most prime real estate on the card.

Future cards will mess with player's hands.

Untill then, I will have players draw at the end of their turns.

Even without reaction-style events, knowing whether or not you want to remove a Freeze might come into play during your opponent's turn. If you have your whole next turn's hand, you'll know how much magic you'll want to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
    Even without reaction-style events, knowing whether or not you want to remove a Freeze might come into play during your opponent's turn. If you have your whole next turn's hand, you'll know how much magic you'll want to have.
    Agreed. Doing so would save little time, but alter in numerous small ways how the game is played.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post
    Agreed. Doing so would save little time, but alter in numerous small ways how the game is played.
    You are assuming that people can easily process their strategy. I know that when I play, it takes me a pretty long time to figure out each move because my poor, little brain can't handle the complexity of choices... for me, it helps to draw cards at the end of my turn. I know it's wrong, and I'll stop doing it once it REALLY doesn't make sense to do it anymore... but until then, I'm still trying to convince people that this is a good game, and playing slowly doesn't help.

Hey, house rule away. Nothing wrong with that. Just remember that it will slightly alter how the game works.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post
    Hey, house rule away. Nothing wrong with that. Just remember that it will slightly alter how the game works.
    And if you are teaching a new player, be sure that they know that you are not playing the game the way it is (technically) supposed to be played.
    "The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

Default question about the discard pile(s)

i know that when you spend magic points they go to the discard pile. so, does even your oppents cards go into your discard pile? or as you spend magic points (of killed enemy units) can you put them into your oppents discard pile to keep your cards orginized? is the discard pile a "dead" pile that can't be tampered with? or do you just sort your cards out at the end 'cause somthing could/can/will/ or may effect the discard pile in the game?

The Fallen Kingdom from recent previews have lots of fun with the Discard pile. I suppose many other units to come will tamper with it as well. Right now, I just play that a player can look through the cards in either discard pile whenever s/he feels like it, but I don't think it saves sufficient time to make it worthwhile to sort as you go.
    Carl the Sword Grounder has seen worse than . . .
    Rallul's Banquet
    Harrumff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast