Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things I've learned in a crazy week of playing every iOS game I could get my hands on

Okay, time to rank the iOS factions from 1-8 based on how comfortable I am with them adding little bits of commentary:

1) Guild Dwarves. It is amazing how well the Dwarves can lock down an enemy advance. The best way to beat them is with trickery. Full blown assaults are likely to get crushed.

2) Tundra Orcs. The raw POWER! No one does power better and in the iOS a well timed freeze is a brutal counter.

3) Vanguard. Come on and hit me with your best shot! They take a licking and keep on ticking.

4) Phoenix Elves. The faction that gets to do the math before they move. A slightly more cerebral game backed by a decent amount of power.

5) Fallen Kingdom. The mindset of the death/respawn cycle is hard to get into but can be extremely powerful.

6) Jungle Elves. I love Gorillas, but I don't do the mobility/deception part of their game well and so they're a faction that's more fun than competitive for me.

7) Cave Goblins. Continuing the theme of not using powers well... hordes, rushes, rages... where are my beefy solid figures?

8) Cloaks. I've seen them used well, but I can't wrap my mind around all the tricksiness. Protip: Malevolence+Admiral is vicious.

Malo+Admiral is pretty expensive...

Mal + Admiral is a Combo that's very hard to get out but Mal's 4 hit power can be useful in itself so it's not a complete waste. Its a build I've actually been meaning to try out. I like a NaanNashi, Admiral, Scam build better personally though, with a Violet/NaanNashi swap for another build.
    Obsessions: Summoner Wars | Le Havre | Nightfall | Ascension | Ravenmark
    GC: onlyphoenix - Summoner Wars/Le Havre/Nightfall/Magic 2013

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

TNS uses it pretty well. Really, Mal is strong in any deck that can heal her.

I go this way:

PE
    JE
    GD (though I hardly play them)
    TO
    FK
    CG
    VG
    CL
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

I'd say...under the criteria of being comfortable with them...

GD - I must say, I'm really surprised with how at ease I feel with the Guild Dwarves, considering before the app I had trouble even playing with them. Abandoning Guardsmen and Ballistae was probably the way to go for my mind.
    CG - My bread and butter. I still have to make hard choices when facing PE and TO, but otherwise it's pretty much the same.
    TO - I still wish this deck had better range. Good thing I have life to make up for it.
    JE - The deck plays itself but I run out of magic too fast. I have to decide rather early if I'm going to be summoning a Champion.
    PE - I still have to worry about Prince Elien's low life.
    FK - The deck kinda plays itself, but if I don't deviate from the gameplan at precise moments, I will lose.
    VG - The deck is more tuned towards the Master Set factions, which kinda hurts it in this metagame. I should rebuild this one.
    CL - It's hard to have the deck play if you're fending off rushes or things happen that prevent the combo from coming out. Have to really try and try hard.
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

I kinda gotta disagree on the "if the guy has a smaller deck than you, he is in trouble". I have won plenty of games where I burned through my deck, while my opponent was slow pacing. Jungle Elves do this quite well.
    The Fallen Kingdom is Rising...

Quote Originally Posted by airdroppers View Post
    I kinda gotta disagree on the "if the guy has a smaller deck than you, he is in trouble". I have won plenty of games where I burned through my deck, while my opponent was slow pacing. Jungle Elves do this quite well.
    That was why "all other things being equal" preceded it. If we're balanced in mana and board position and I have 14 cards left in my deck and you have 2 left in your deck then you're in trouble. Doen't mean you can't win, but I am at a distinct advantage if only for my potential ability to build a lot more mana out of my hand going forward than you can match.

Having said that, you'll notice that among the bottom three decks of my above list of most to least comfortable factions are the JE and CG, both of whom benefit from the type of "burn it aggressively" style of play you are describing. So I'm willing to allow that there may be benefits to fast burn decks that I am simply poorly equipped to recognize.

Since others have posted their faction impressions, hereíre mine, noting that Iíd never played prior to the iOS release (although Iíd long heard good things about the game). At this point Iím playing Vanguards and Fallen Kingdom pretty exclusively.

GD: In the beginning I tended to use them in multiplayer matches, but I stopped when they began to seem ubiquitous. Gotta go against the grain, ya dig. Theyíre a fun faction but I suspect a little overpowered ó great defense with the commons, great offense with the champions. A quick-burning deck designed around bringing out Gror is the stuff of nightmares.

CG: Havenít faced or used them much. Theyíre unique among the factions and seem reasonably capable, Iím not sure why theyíre not more popular.

TO: A pain to face, with defenses extremely tough to barrel through (ice walls, smashers, freezes) and a few annoying battering rams (Krung, Grognack himself). I donít tend to play them for the same meta-game-ish reasons I donít play GD anymore.

FK: Iíve played these guys a lot, on the other hand. Really fun, with a kind of free-lunch mechanic: build your commons now and you can bring them out later at a discount! Bring your commons out now and you can still use Ďem as magic! Their commons are kind of meh, though. Itís fun to have a powered-up reaper running around like a mini-champion, but the potential downside is too high; zombies are too wimpy for their power to come into play very often; phantoms and reavers have too low a success chance.

JE: Not as tough as Iíd thought, but I havenít faced them much.

PE: This faction seems to be growing more popular, and I find myself having trouble with these guys. That burn(s) + precise combo turns what I thought was a well-positioned champion into mulch.

CL: No comment? I havenít got a handle on this faction yet. When I play them I get torn to shreds, and Iíve only faced them once.

VG: This is the faction I use most often. For a while I was trounced, less so now that Iím getting a handle on the kill-your-own-commons tactic ó more than once PE and GD ruined my early/mid-game with two magic drains in a row. (And itís kind of funny to get a GD player to kill off all his commons.) The cavalry has been surprisingly helpful in catching a back-row summoner off guard, although the main thrust of my play seems to involve getting Kalon and Malevolence out and keeping them alive.

Well, that turned out much longer than I anticipated.

I have nothing to add to this thread except awe.

Great post, I think I'll bookmark it for future reference

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12