Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book of Ragnor

Default The Book of Ragnor

The Book of Ragnor
    Champion of the Tundra Orcs - Starter Set 1: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs

Character Bio: Ragnor lives for one thing - cutting down his enemies in bloody combat. When he has marked an enemy as his target he comes after them with a fury, and not even other soldiers can stand in his way.

Rulings and Clarifications
    Q: After attack with Ragnor and use fury to move and attack again, do I get to roll for Fury again?
    A: Yes, you continue to roll for your until fail to roll a 5 or higher on your Fury roll.
    Last edited by KCU Master 2007; 12-27-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    The Books of Summoner Wars...someone had to do it
    35-27 on Vassal (56%) - MOST RECENT: SE vs VG/thenightsshadow

Vassal Tourney: 3-1 for 3rd Place

KCU's FanFic (updated 6-18-12)

Some Ragnor statistics:

Average Wounds per turn: 2
    Chances of rolling zero wounds: 1/13, or 7.69%
    Average Attacks per activation: 1.5
    Carl the Sword Grounder has seen worse than . . .
    Rallul's Banquet
    Harrumff.

I thought Ragnor was the weakest of the TO Champions when I first started playing. His ability seems a bit lackluster at first glance.

But of course, with time, I realized he is quite a mainstay to the deck.

This guy is insanely overpowered

Him and the fighters

This has happened over 10x out of about 15 games where T Orcs have been used

Enemy attacks once with a fighter, rolls success on fury wins the game

and Im not talking about getting 1 lucky fury, I mean rolling success fury about 5-7x IN A ROW

Our games are quickly becoming either ban T-Orcs or they auto win if a fighter or this guy gets to attack once

There are tricks to avoid furies. Well, you can't as much avoid them but you can be prepare for when they come.

Don't leave too much units spread around the board: they give way too many targets and the Furies will just give them new targets.

Use beefy units: they have less chances of dying from a furies burst.

And most of all: punish your opponent for using so many Fighters: kill them as they are easy targets that will cost him a lot of magic and give you just as much if you kill them.

Fighters are great, but for them to work your opponent has to use a lot of them. So like I just said, abusing that can be key to countering them.

As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage. The best trick then is to see him coming: when your opponent is getting his magic ready, keep some good tools and play more defensively, and when he comes out jump at him like there's no tomorrow. If you can kill him in only a turn or two, he won't do as much damage.

Oh, and it might sound dumb, but also make sure your opponent and you roll the dice correctly. As random as it should be, dice are still under the influence of good old physics, and with some skills it could be possible to roll the same numbers again and again (or if not always, at least much more than what normal probabilities could predict). So make sure they are randomly thrown and that they roll long enough before giving results. Usually it's just badluck, but 15 furies in a row is way over the statistical predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    I usually pick the BD so he'll curse and go off to play Saboteur on BoardGameArena. Works every time.

we had a Fighter Turn 0 win today

most incredibly fail thing i have yet to see in this game

Dude, if Fighters/Ragnor are truly going nonstop all the time for you, then the problem is either your dice or you're exaggerating. Statistics says Fury is not that great of a power.
    Webmaster
    1 AV, 3 Life, 2 Summon Cost
    Instead of posting with this Webmaster during your Posting Phase, you may add 1 post count to a member that is adjacent to this Webmaster. That unit may write up to to two posts, and if that unit is a Doug, add 1 to its Avatar Value for the remainder of the turn. POST cannot be used on another Webmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by PePe QuiCoSE View Post
    I usually pick the BD so he'll curse and go off to play Saboteur on BoardGameArena. Works every time.
    Haha. I love that spelling error...not sure what Phoenixio was thinking about when he was typing up that post haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    we had a Fighter Turn 0 win today

most incredibly fail thing i have yet to see in this game
    Yeah, that does happen. In a TO vs PE games, the TO have something like a 1/2000 chance of winning on turn 1. (I just rough estimated it here, the actual math is too much for me this morning)

I've been on the receiving end of it once, and I've heard about the CG never getting a turn against the TO once.

With that being said, this is extraordinarily rare. Fury fails 2/3 of the time, as much as hit percentage in this game. Most of the time fury does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by joepinion View Post
    Dude, if Fighters/Ragnor are truly going nonstop all the time for you, then the problem is either your dice or you're exaggerating. Statistics says Fury is not that great of a power.
    Well....fury is a pretty decent power I'd say. It does make their average attack a signicant part higher, and is useful. But yeah, under no way should it be 5-7 times per try. Here's a challenge for you: Track the number of time an opponent suceeds at fury, and they fail at fury. Just do this in a game. You should see it really does fail a lot.

Now, with those extra rolls. First off, even if fighters do fury, they're effectively now a 2 attack, 1 cost, 1 life unit. Just like JE Lioness, PE Warrior, and some other units. So clearly they are not very good unless they fury. Fighters also give up lots of magic. If you have some decent commons out, running Fighters at them is probably a bad strategy by the TO.

Next off, Ragnor. For a champ of his costs he should have 3 attack. Instead he has 2, but gets fury. Again if fury doesn't trigger, he's not very good. If fury triggers once, he's a bit better, and if he gets it a few time in a row, he's getting lucky and having a good turn.

To avoid this, keep your summoner away from Ragnor so you won't lose if your opponent gets very lucky. Take out Ragnor quickly.

But really...I'd love to see your games. In my experience fury is pretty sucky, and I never use fighters, and generally prefer to take out Ragnor for other champions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixio View Post
    As for Ranior, he's a little more difficult to deal with and can do some real damage.
    Tournament Record: 37-18

Quote Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
    Haha. I love that spelling error...not sure what Phoenixio was thinking about when he was typing up that post haha.
    I was thinking about not mixing it up with your nickname! Oh well, it seems I did anyway, my bad...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast