Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a couple rules clarifications

Default a couple rules clarifications

I just recently purchased basically everything that can be bought from this game....I love it. Its a great filler game. That being said I am a new player so bear with me if these questions have been asked. I did browse the forums to see if the answer was easily available and it wasnt. I also tried google. Anyways, here goes...Can the summoners themselves attack? If so what is their dice pool? I see references and abilities for when they attack but cannot find a way to attack. Next, when an ability says "3 spaces" or whatever is that 3 spaces in a straight line? We kind of made a house rule that if it said spaces it was as if you were moving and could count different directions and if it said anything about being an attack then it was treated as an attack and only in a straight line. Anyways, my group loves the game and we just want to play the correct way. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Sure. Summoners can indeed attack; Units' Attack Value is located on the top left-hand corner of the card. It's the circle with a number in it and a picture of that Summoner's Summoning Stone.

Next, 3 spaces in a straight line. That means, you count out 3 spaces in a straight line. Here's an example.

[_][_][_][1][_][_]
    [3][2][1][S][1][2]
    [_][_][_][1][_][_]
    [_][_][_][2][_][_]
    [_][_][_][3][_][_]
    [_][_][_][_][_][_]
    [_][_][_][_][_][_]
    [_][_][_][_][_][_]

However, if it doesn't say the words "clear", "straight", or "line", just says 3 spaces, then you're looking at this:

[_][3][2][1][2][3]
    [3][2][1][S][1][2]
    [_][3][2][1][2][3]
    [_][_][3][2][3][_]
    [_][_][_][3][_][_]
    [_][_][_][_][_][_]
    [_][_][_][_][_][_]
    [_][_][_][_][_][_]

Does that help?
    The night's shadow exists, not sleeping at all,
    The toil of the light is its only call,
    Behind the scenes lurking with shadowy gall,
    Its face never showing; height never too tall.

Without a cry wherein dissent finds respite,
    The multitudes safer in the billowing light,
    More likely than not to strike evil at night,
    Then silently vanishing to be out of sight.

yeah, and I feel like a dumbass. The whole time we were playing we were using the summon number as the attack and the attack as the summon. I just called my idiot friend who read the rules about that. Looks like playtest day number two will be a whole new game for us. This is why you never trust anyone else to interpret the rules without double checking. The other part of your answer did help though, thanks. :-)

its not an entirely unreasonable thing to assume, given the close proximity of the number to the little weapon icon. But yeh, check the rules yourself next time :P
    I spent the first 2 months moving units through any other friendly unit, until I saw the flying cards and realised I was an idiot!
    No Cure For Stupidity

ditto on the "reasonable" slip. The summon cost and the type of attack are the same format, while the Attack Value is not. I wouldn't mind summoning Abomination for 0 and rolling 8 dice + ability though!

Everybody I teach this game to thinks the cost is the AV and vice-versa at first, even though I warn them about this mistake when explaining... I can only assume that's the more intuitive interpretation.

killercactus is offline SW App Champion Summer 2015, but still do what he says.

I think it's because when people first start out, Summon Cost feels like the most important number on the card, because you want to summon everything.

As you gain experience, you realize that you can't summon everything, and that Attack Value is more important.
    Latest Customs - KC's Customs

I need to update this signature. While I do that, go listen to A Doug's Guide to Summoner Wars - the podcast!

At first I thought the AV and Summon Cost were in reversed positions as well.
    Heroscape-Summoner Wars-SSB64
    Channel
    BEASTMODE

well, I am happy...and my friend even more so...that we are not the only ones who made that mistake. We have played it the correct way (I read the rules myself this time) and its still a great game....but it was cool rolling all those attack dice the first time we played :-) and now makes the real rolls seem unremarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by thenightsshadow View Post
    However, if it doesn't say the words "clear", "straight", or "line", just says 3 spaces, then you're looking at
    Sorry to res this thread but I am also new to the game and came looking for this specific question (played against the Sand Goblins last night and we had this question).

If a card does not say "Clear" then the target card can be the requisite number of spaces through ANY other card including walls?

I play Cloaks a lot and I've always assumed that Violet couldn't attack THROUGH walls (even though she can attack a wall and everything between it and her). This is how it plays in iOS so I just assumed that is how it worked. But she doesn't have the word "clear".

My thinking is that Walls supercede EVERYTHING unless specified otherwise and nothing can cut through them except skills which say they can.

I'm willing to admit that I missed something in the rules or FAQs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast